• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I have been buying, selling, and trading pistols for a while now. I drive my wife nuts everytime I come home with a new one. I believe that its time to find out how she'll react to a long one!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Cheap or Expensive?
    Target shoot or hunt?
    Rim fire or center fire?
    Semi Auto or Bolt Action?
    Rifle Caliber or Shotgun?

Soooo many questions... If answered it will surely lead to many good recommendations.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id go with a 22 lr just for cheap shooting. then upgrade to centerfire. if i were buying my first rifle today id buy a 10-22 but you cant go wrong with a savage bolt action or modle 60

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If you are just learning about long guns, I would agree with a good .22 as well. There are a lot of different good ones available from semi's to bolts to single shots.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok.

If you want to go the cheap route I would invest in a Ruger 10/22 .22LR , semi auto fun. Cheap to shoot and a lot of upgrades to keep you busy for a while.

If you want to go the expensive route I would purchase an AR-15. Semi auto .223/5.56 gun with more accessories and gadgets then you can even imagine. Obviously more expensive to feed this one but they sure are a lot of fun.

:ar15:

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    id say start with a good 22. they are just fun to shoot and i cant think of any one into guns that doesnt have one some where in the closet.

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    First long gun

I would suggest the 10/22 ruger with a 2x7 or 3x9 scope. Buy and extra magazine and a GI sling. Attend an Appleseed event so you know how to become a Rifleman. Then move on to what ever long gun you like and you will be able to hit your target.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Everyoneneedsa .22 Rifle. You'lllearnsomuch more with that than you will with any other long gun. I usually suggest a bolt action for new shooters, just so that you make every shot count and have to re-aquire a new sight picture after every shot. Auuming you're a decent pistol shot, you know the fundamentals, so a semi-auto would be OK also. 10/22's are hard to beat and will last a lifetime. For bolt actions, there are tons of older, quality ones out there from Remington, Winchester Stevens/Savage, Mossberg etc. Often you can find onein good shape for well under $200. For a newer one, Marlin and Savage both make good quality, affordable bolt actions.

Best to learn iron sights first,then move onto ascope.

Doug K

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom