What should I know buying a Memory Foam mattress??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Last fall my 90 yr old MIL had a stroke. She is finally coming home next week, but due to her need of a wheelchair or walker, we have to change some things in her apartment.

Her bedroom is smallish and she has a queen sized bed. It has been decided by the brains of the family the queen sized stuff needs to be replaced with a twin. MIL wants memory foam and I know nothing about mattress shopping.

Anything I should know???

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    All I know about them is my buddy bought one from a "Freight" company/Mattress/furniture company and immediately became sick. I guess the memory foam mattress he paid $600 for is A: Toxic, or B: he's allergic to foam mattresses.
    He swears it's the mattress that's sickening.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Anything I should know???

If you buy like we did, she'll be really comfortable.

We bought a 10" memory foam mattress from Costco. Didn't spend a fortune on it but it wasn't cheap (not $1,000). But it is the best investment in bedding we've ever made. We were so happy we bought our oldest boy a twin size. I can let you know how he likes it after it arrives. We are pretty sure he will be happy. He is nearly 6' and weighs 150lbs.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Stay away from Mattress Firm. Bunch of crooks.

We are on our second memory foam mattress now. The one we currently have is a top of the line Tempurpedic $$$$$$$$$, I prefer the $400 sealy we bought from Menards previously.

One thing with memory foam is the body will sink a bit in the mattress and takes a bit of effort to change sleep positions.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The memory foam mattress we purchased was, very comfortable to lay on. But, it sucked to sleep on. It got hot and was a pain to turn over, we actually had to sit up to change sleeping positions. The bed lasted less than a week in the house.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I had a costco one. LOVED it. Wife is a backsleeper and it bothered her, so i lost the memory foam mattress. Get one from costco. If she is not happy, they will take it back. Before i spent the $$$ on mine, i called and asked how i might return it since i do not have a truck. No problem, we will send a truck to get it. SOLD!

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I can't remember...:D

Seriously, we buy the cheapo memory foam tops from Walmart/Meijer/wherever for like $100 and change it out every couple of years. Any memory foam only "springs back" for so long before they wear out.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I have a Sealy memory foam mattress topper. It's not that hot but I've only had it since 12/15. its a 3 inch with 3 pound density. Took some getting used to but I like it now.

I have noticed that If it is cool in the room it is in the mattress will feel hard for a few minutes until your body heat warms it up.

Don't do like I did and bring it in form the cold, unpack it, let it expand to its normal size then throw it on the bed and use it. It will smell and feel damp. Let it sit uncovered for a day or two.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    One of the beds for my dogs is made of Serta memory foam material, and I lay on it from time to time it's so comfortable. You won't regret it, Sam, and MIL will love it.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I feel memory foam is only good for making the bed . It collapses when your on it & springs back when your not. We have a sleep number bed. ... Don't like how it feels, change it. Don't like how it feels tomorrow , change it. They make many different models & sizes. At little pricey but I've been very happy.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-best-mattress-youve-ever-had-ingoers-2.html
    Get a Holder. I took the advice of some on here last year and it was a good decision.
    I had mine made exactly like I wanted it. 15 year warranty. You can flip the mattress to use both sides. Also, they will deliver, and if needed pick-up and return for a repair.
    I went to Muncie.

This is a good option.

I feel memory foam is only good for making the bed . It collapses when your on it & springs back when your not. We have a sleep number bed. ... Don't like how it feels, change it. Don't like how it feels tomorrow , change it. They make many different models & sizes. At little pricey but I've been very happy.

I've slept on one of these too. This is a good option as well.

Top Bottom