What should I know buying a Memory Foam mattress??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    We have sold memory foam mattresses before but they were not well received by our older customers. Too hard to change positions. You get decent support but you sink into the foam.
    Now we sell a blend... different layers with memory foam under and latex foam on the top.
    You might consider an adjustable bed with a blend mattress. Adjustable beds are easier to get out of. PM me if you would like more advice. I would be glad to help you any way I can.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We have sold memory foam mattresses before but they were not well received by our older customers. Too hard to change positions. You get decent support but you sink into the foam.
    Now we sell a blend... different layers with memory foam under and latex foam on the top.
    You might consider an adjustable bed with a blend mattress. Adjustable beds are easier to get out of. PM me if you would like more advice. I would be glad to help you any way I can.

SEIndSAM, I think you just found your best resource.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Going shopping for this tomorrow and thank you all for the advice. MIL is a Costco member, so it was good news hearing such positive reviews of the Costco product.

GadgetMonster, I'll be in touch.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you've made a decision, but here's my two cents. The wife and I purchased a Tempurpedic in 2006 and love it. Even among memory foam there are different levels of firmness. We purchased one that was near the top of the firmness. We sink in only an inch or so and have no problem moving around. The temperature is also a non-issue. The warmth level can be adjusted with different sheets or comforters in addition to adjusting the air temperature just like any other bed. The only time there might be an issue is if you let the mattress warm up during a hot summer day. It will take it a bit to cool down once the temperatures go back down. As a result we usually pull the sheets back an hour or so before going to bed. Definitely check with the return process, most of the manufacturers do give a trial period of 30 days or more.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield

One thing with memory foam is the body will sink a bit in the mattress and takes a bit of effort to change sleep positions.
    This is quite true, and it may be a big issue for an older person with physical weakness. I would very strongly recommend that you take her to a store to try them out before you buy anything, or you may end up with a bed that she literally cannot get out of or change positions in.

Really, this is a big deal. Have her try before you buy.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Don't skimp on $$$ when buying memory foam.
    Don't skimp on research when you buy memory foam. You can skimp on $$$ if you know what you are buying! I have been sleeping on memory foam for over 10 yrs now. It changed my life. No sore backaches anyore. I've always read about memory foam being hot. Never experienced this. Put a mattress cover, pad, and sheet on it please...... I started with a 4" 4lb density memory foam topper. Best thing I ever did. Threw it over an old quality, firm, queen size mattress. Cheap memory foam is usually not very thick (I recommend 4") and not very dense (less than 4lbs/cu ft). Some outfits use different units to measure density. Some may use 2 Cu ft to pad their numbers. Do the research. Usually,the denser, the longer lasting, but the stiffer as well. I bought a multi foam layered queen memory foam mattress from a foam factory for under $400 several years ago. It was over 5lbs dnsity/cu ft. I found it a bit stiff and ended by putting my old 4" topper on it. Now I sleep on a cloud of about 10" of memory foam, with a good quality support foam under it. It's been awhile, but I found a lot of good info on Ebay where the competing sellers would expose all the tricks of the 'other' guys. Ther only thing bad about memory foam is it remembers everything you say in your sleep and repeats it back in the morning. If you are married, and a cad, this could be very uncomfortable...sleep with a gag.......

Last edited:
    Top Bottom