What should I look for in a concealed carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    I just got my lifetime concealed carry permit....now to decide on a gun. I already have a fair amount of 9mm ammo (for my range/home defense 9mm handgun). What would you guys/gals recommend? I am partial to Ruger, but am open to anything. Thanks!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I recently switched to a Glock 19 from a 45acp 1911 simply because I wanted more capacity. Its modest size and modest weight make it easy to carry. I also like CZ75B variants in 9mm and own a bunch of them, use them as my Home Defense guns.

But just as important, and I mean just as important as the gun is your carry rig. Get a proper gun belt and a good holster.

I prefer CrossBreed Super Tuck for my IWB holsters but also can recommend the Galco King Tuk for an IWB. Both allow you to carry under your dress shirt with the shirt tucked into your pants and both are supremely comfortable. At a bare minimum pick up a Cabela's DOUBLE DUTY belt or better yet go for a Beltman gunbelt. Real gunbelts are NOTHING like a heavy dress belt or heavy casual belt. Gunbelts are reinforced and make carrying a gun, even a large heavy gun, an easy thing to do. If you want to be miserable buy a crappy holster and hang if from a belt you already own.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is not the gun, it is you.

With guns the subjective is objective. Everyone will like something different.

1. Find the pistol you like.

2. Buy another one just like it.

3. Buy a Rubbermaid tub and fill it full of magazines.

4. Buy ammo, more ammo, buy oodles of ammo.

5. Above all, get a class, then get more classes.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I just got my lifetime concealed carry permit....now to decide on a gun. I already have a fair amount of 9mm ammo (for my range/home defense 9mm handgun). What would you guys/gals recommend? I am partial to Ruger, but am open to anything. Thanks!

Please allow me to the be the first to correct you.... I will be gentle...
    You have a lifetime License to carry a handgun in the State of Indiana, not a concealed carry permit.
    As others are surely to point out, you don't have to carry concealed in Indiana if you don't want to.
    I am assuming you want to carry concealed because you referred to your license as a CCP of which it is not.

That being said, you need to find the best combo of size, capacity, caliber, reliability, ergonomics, price, etc... that you can shoot well and be responsible with.
    For me, that gun is the Glock 23.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are looking for semi-autos, the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield and Springfield XDs are flying off the shelves right now. They are similarly sized small handguns designed for concealed carry. It is personal preference which one is better, but I thing the S&W M&P Shield wins out. Go to youtube and you will find many side by side reviews of these guns and many more.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    But just as important, and I mean just as important as the gun is your carry rig. Get a proper gun belt and a good holster.

This + Infinity

Nothing sucks as badly as lugging around dead weight in a cheap holster on an even cheaper belt. I like the Ares Gear Ranger Belt or the 5.11 1 1/2" Operator/Tactical belt.

I also recently switched to my G19 for carry opting for higher capacity and less weight than my G30. I prefer OWB and my favorite is the Raven Concealment System's Phantom kydex modular holster.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    OP, what is your current range/HD handgun?

Without much to go on, the advice we can offer is limited. Do you need a super small and super light gun like a Diamondback DB9 or Kel-Tec PF9 that you can fit in your pocket? Would an mid-sized gun carried IWB work for you? If you get a gun and don't carry it, it doesn't do you much good. Go to the range, rent some guns and try them out?

My blanket advice is "get the Glock." A Glock 19 or 26 make great carry guns. Not too big, good capacity, and you can always throw a larger mag in the smaller gun. The G26 will take a little more range time to get comfortable with, due to it's smaller grip. If you don't like them for some reason, they're easy to sell/trade.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    M&P .45acp, Ruger Redhawk, Radom P64 etc....
    p003.jpg

redhawk.jpg

p015.jpg

Attachments

• redhawk.jpg
      redhawk.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 2

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    First of all,one that your comfortable shooting and with accuracy.
    Then caring system that is comfortabe for you,you wont carry if it bothers you.
    Then train train train using your weapon of choice.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    It is not the gun, it is you.

With guns the subjective is objective. Everyone will like something different.

1. Find the pistol you like.

2. Buy another one just like it.

3. Buy a Rubbermaid tub and fill it full of magazines.

4. Buy ammo, more ammo, buy oodles of ammo.

5. Above all, get a class, then get more classes.

I agree.....Training is the key. Check out Clint & Heidi Smith at Thunder Ranch. Even if you cannot get in (they are booked up way ahead) they have an EXCELLENT DVD series. I have gone twice and am taking my wife this fall

Remember that civilians have different training issues than military and law enforcement. Civilians need to be taught to back away from a fight and get sued or go to jail for making bad calls when it comes to shooting bad guys.....

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    You don't have to listen to all these gun/belt/holster/mag snobs. Get a decent gun, and get something that FITS you. Careful selection is more important than spending lots of money. You don't have to spend 500+ on a gun, 500+ on magazines (fill a rubbermaid tub, HA!), 100 on a holster and another 100 on a gun belt. MY edc is a glock 23, I have 3 magazines for it, it's carried in a modified uncle mikes iwb holster, and I have an $8 Dollar general Belt. The belt is 1.5" wide, it's stiff, and plenty strong, it holds the gun firmly to my side, so the holster just has to keep it in place, not support its weight. I just recently got my lifetime, however I've carried for the previous four years before my permit expired in just this fashion. Yes i've purchased expensive holsters, I just keep coming back to this solution, because it's simply more comfortable. Maybe it's just my body type, I dunno.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I have a Glock 19. I'm very happy with it. I am planning on getting a Glock 26 for better concealment. The 19 is easy to conceal, but at times I would like something slightly smaller. Thus why I'm considering a 26. I have a N82 Tactical Professional holster that is super comfortable, easy on/off, stays put, conceals well, tuckable, and will also fit the 26 if I get it. Just my 2 cents.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I carry the Ruger LC9, but just bought a G26 this weekend. The G26 will also hold my G19's mags. The LC9 is the smallest of the 3. All good guns.

short308

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Get whatever fits you and carry style. I started out with a Kahr k9. Then got a 4" XD 45 for a full size carry later.

Top Bottom