• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have and enjoy shooting/carrying my Beretta PX4 and 92F 9mm but was thinking of diversifying :)

I used to carry the 92F (many years) but have switched more to the PX4 because I can use the same holsters and have the same muscle memory to operate the PX4 sub compact, compact, and full size depending on where I am carrying etc.

What SIG would be similar to those two in 9mm? and it MUST have a hammer.

Do any SIGS have sub, compact and full size in the same lineup similar to the PX4?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The P226 would be the closest to the 92F, with the P229 being one step down in size. The P224 exists as the next step down in size, but never really caught on and is out of production. They will all accept P226 magazines. If you don't care about mag compatability, the P239/P225 is your "smaller" TDA Sig lineup. Note smaller is in quotes. They size difference is very marginal, IMO, between a P239/P225 and a P229.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You might want to look at the P250, it's been discontinued but lots of new ones out there.
    It's double action only, it has a polymer frame and is available in sub,compact and full size.
    I believe small, medium and large frame widths are available with each size pistol at reasonable cost.
    Same modular frame as the 320 pistol.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The P239 is no longer in production but you can still find them new on the shelves. Warning though, the mags are now scarcer than hen's teeth. IMHO, it is noticeably smaller when it comes to carrying than the P225a1. The P225a1 shoots great because the grip is fuller but to me, it is pretty big for the rounds available. In addition to the P229, there is the M11a1. It is the no rail version, plus all internals are coated with anticorrosion. It comes with the short reset trigger which I really enjoy having.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Being I have carried a Sig 228, 220 and 226 since 1994 of issued or personal variety (my 226 now is a Legion) I recommend the P series.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Carry Setups.

For years I carried a Glock 17 and the Glock 26 as my back up.(even though I hate Glocks)
    Depending on my outfit and weather, I carried them both at the same time. With this setup, My extra G17 mags was all I needed because they fit both guns. The Glock 19 is sized in between those two and also will accept the G17 mags. But I never did get one of those.

Recap-
    G17 - Large - takes G17 Mags
    G19 - Medium - takes G19 Mags and accepts G17 Mags
    G26 - Small - takes G26 Mags and accepts G19 and G17 Mags
    Extra G17 mags is all you need to carry as backup mags.

To throw a wrench in all this.
    All my G17 mags have the Pearce Plus 3 "PG-GP" extensions and my one G26 mag has the Pearce Plus 3 "PG-39" extension. The PG-39 just fits the G26 better than the others and I wanted a pinky added because the grip was so small but figured why not add extra rounds as long as I can still conceal it. So my G17 is 20+1 and my G26 is 13+1.
    I can conceal the G17 IWB just as comfortably as any other gun. Just took a bit longer to get the right holsters to work. The G26 fits anywhere, even in my "original" Galco Ankle Holster (Ankle Glove) with sheepskin padding. Galco is pricey but super comfy.

Why mention Glocks in a Sig thread??? :dunno:

Fast forward to now-
    I love my old setup with the controls and magazine compatibility. Always hated Glocks and wanted an upgrade eventually. (yes - UPgrade) I knew nothing about Sig other than they sold expensive guns that are very well made. After checking them out thoroughly I found the same type setup that I liked before. The P226 DA/SA has been around for quite a while now and has been used all over the world in military and police work so I feel dependability was going to be just fine. Well proven and many parts are out there. So I started there and picked up the MK-25. (P226) I found the "Baby" to this set was going to be the P224 with the same controls as the P226 plus it accepts the P226 mags. Score!

Problem -
    The P224 was discontinued early on and I really don't know why. I got ahold of one with a later build dated and it has never hiccuped at all. Holsters I knew were going to be hard to find but they are out there, you just need to look. Huge plus is I found out that my Galco Ankle Holster (Ankle Glove) made for the Glock26 WILL also fit the Sig P224 as though it was made for it. (even though Galco didn't)
    The P229 was also the middle gun but I only needed the two for now while carrying and never picked one up.

Recap-
    P226 - Large - takes P226 Mags
    P229 - Medium - takes P229 Mags and accepts P226 Mags
    P224 - Small - takes P224 Mags and accepts P229 and P226 Mags
    Extra P226 mags is all you need to carry as backup mags.

And to throw a wrench in all this, all of my P226 mags are factory Sig 20 rounders and I added the extended magwell grips to the gun as well. The P224 has a small grip so I'm looking into pinky or plus round extensions that don't add too much size especially while ankle carrying.

Take this all however you want but this is just how I'm doing it and why. All just to carry comfortably and be as practical and simple as possible. One can never carry too many extra mags or back up guns. :):

To clarify my hatred of Glocks -
    I still do and always will hate them. They are ugly, they feel like crap, I hate the whole hammerless , safetyless strikerfire technology altogether. With that said, my Glocks have NEVER misfired or missed a beat in all the years of verbal and physical abuse that I've given to them. My Glocks have also been very accurate.
    Not as accurate as my Sigs, but still accurate.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The P226 would be the closest to the 92F, with the P229 being one step down in size. The P224 exists as the next step down in size, but never really caught on and is out of production. They will all accept P226 magazines. If you don't care about mag compatability, the P239/P225 is your "smaller" TDA Sig lineup. Note smaller is in quotes. They size difference is very marginal, IMO, between a P239/P225 and a P229.
    A small enough difference to make you question why not just get the double stack....

Personally, I'd go P229, it's a little big but still could work with a good holster, and it's imminently shootable and well-made. Arguably the toughest metal Sig since it was built around the .40 and .357 sig. One of the few guns made for those rounds.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You might want to look at the P250, it's been discontinued but lots of new ones out there.
    It's double action only, it has a polymer frame and is available in sub,compact and full size.
    I believe small, medium and large frame widths are available with each size pistol at reasonable cost.
    Same modular frame as the 320 pistol.

Easily the most underrated Sig of all time. The P250 has an excellent trigger that is amazingly smooth and light, just a bit long. That this model failed commercially isn't a design flaw, it's a marketing flaw. Sig treated it like an afterthought in their haste to get past the P250 to the P320.

Top Bottom