• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    The ammo shortage seems to have tapered off. Most ammo is pretty readily available and some items are starting to come down in price. This is not the case with deer slugs. I have a rifled barrel on an 11-87. I have been using Hornaday SST's as that's all I could find, but they were amazing. Zero drop between 50 and 100yards, and my holes were touching at 100yd. I couldn't believe the accuracy. I bought 5 box's and used 2 to sight it in. Shot beautifully. I get out in the woods and line up on a shooter at 75 yards, line up and shoot-nothing but air. I was calm, didn't jump/jerk. I go over this shot in my head several times and 15 min later he comes back-I let out a meeeeep and he stops at 125 yards. I shoot again and I turn his heart to confetti. When I climb down and collect the shells I notice the brass on one is silver and one is gold. Must be different batches? Looking it up there are complaints about the latest batch being inaccurate and inconsistent. This is not something I want to deal with, so to my point, what sabot slugs does everyone use? Are they readily available? Are they consistent? Accurate to 100+yards? Am I overthinking it with the Hornadays? maybe I should sacrifice 1 or 2 per box to confirm their accuracy?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I quit using shotguns when they opened up the regulations for rifles.
    That said, when I did use slugs, I had my best luck with Breineke Rotweil slugs.
    They hit like a brick and I never missed a deer with one.
    I did miss a coyote with one on one occasion.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I quit using shotguns when they opened up the regulations for rifles.
    That said, when I did use slugs, I had my best luck with Breineke Rotweil slugs.
    They hit like a brick and I never missed a deer with one.
    I did miss a coyote with one on one occasion.
    Same here. I haven't shot a slug in years. Instead I have shot hundreds if not thousands of 158gr and 180gr bullets from my 357 Maximum rifle. Have yet to miss a deer or develop a flinch.

My Rotweil Brenekkes are still sitting somewhere in the bottom of an ammo can. They shot minute of barn at 75yds.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I use the Hornaday SST as well. Wish I woulda loaded up on them before I moved out of Indiana, Tennessee is a big time rifle state and shotgun slugs (Foster and sabots) aren't easy to find.
    I've not experienced any inconsistency in them so I'll count my blessings. The fellow member that sold me the gun recommended the SSTs and he was spot on.
    Good luck finding something you have confidence in, that's half the battle. Getting the damn deer to cooperate is the other half.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I use an NEF Ultra Slug rifled 12 gauge. It shoots the Lightfield slugs shoot with almost rifle like accuracy.
    I bought a couple hundred slugs/sabots from Slugs 'r Us that are an exact copy of the Lightfield. They shoot to the same point of impact. Very satisfied.

Don

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy keeps his old 870 rifled bbl rig in back of safe (bought it off me).
    Sold it when WW dropped the HI Supreme.
    He ran it with WW Partition Gold, said it was wicked good.
    Had a good supply of those slugs left........doubt they'll ever be used again.
    12 ga, 2 3/4"

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Buddy keeps his old 870 rifled bbl rig in back of safe (bought it off me).
    Sold it when WW dropped the HI Supreme.
    He ran it with WW Partition Gold, said it was wicked good.
    Had a good supply of those slugs left........doubt they'll ever be used again.
    12 ga, 2 3/4"
    99% sure the Winchester partition golds are no longer being produced. Remington Accutips are dead as well. I could not find any other sabot mentioned in stock. Hornaday may be the only game in town.

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    The ammo shortage seems to have tapered off. Most ammo is pretty readily available and some items are starting to come down in price. This is not the case with deer slugs. I have a rifled barrel on an 11-87. I have been using Hornaday SST's as that's all I could find, but they were amazing. Zero drop between 50 and 100yards, and my holes were touching at 100yd. I couldn't believe the accuracy. I bought 5 box's and used 2 to sight it in. Shot beautifully. I get out in the woods and line up on a shooter at 75 yards, line up and shoot-nothing but air. I was calm, didn't jump/jerk. I go over this shot in my head several times and 15 min later he comes back-I let out a meeeeep and he stops at 125 yards. I shoot again and I turn his heart to confetti. When I climb down and collect the shells I notice the brass on one is silver and one is gold. Must be different batches? Looking it up there are complaints about the latest batch being inaccurate and inconsistent. This is not something I want to deal with, so to my point, what sabot slugs does everyone use? Are they readily available? Are they consistent? Accurate to 100+yards? Am I overthinking it with the Hornadays? maybe I should sacrifice 1 or 2 per box to confirm their accuracy?
    Winchester partition gold and the old original copper solids were my favs

Top Bottom