What started your knife collection. Stories behind the sickness.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My first knife was an Emerson super CQC7 i used my detassling money from the sumer to get it. But the reason i wanted that specific model was for my 16th birthday my dad let me read the book Rogue Warrior: Task Force Blue. The author talked about this custom CQC6 he had and i was curious what knife did this badass carry? So i looked it up and saw the price for a real CQC6 and almost wrote it off as a pipe dream till i read about Emerson's production knives and i wanted one so i saved up over the summer and got it at the end of the summer in 2011. That knife has been my closest companion for 2 years judging soils in FFA to cutting zip ties at the 4-H fair this thing has done it all. It also started my interest / collection in tactical knives. Soon I hope to add an Automatic OTF knife to my collection since they are legal in the great state of Indiana now. But this is my collection thus far starting with the book and the passage that started it all.:patriot: started it all.jpg the sickness.jpg

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I've always liked knives and buy them when I find them reasonably priced at tag sales. When I got my dad's old Case knife it kind of rekindled my desire for more. I look for them at gun shows and other places. I like older pocket knives. I buy knives similar to how I buy guns. The name on the knife isn't nearly as important as how the knife feels when I touch it.

Here's my dad's old case.
    2012-12-17_13-13-23_288.jpg

I bought myself this knife for Christmas last year. I chose it over the one with the wooden handle but liked it so much I went back the next day to get that one too.

2012-12-17_18-33-42_298.jpg
    2012-12-19_20-10-33_223.jpg

Here's last years birthday present to myself

2012-12-17_13-19-08_182.jpg

Here's the one I bought my son for his high school graduation

474695_10201259420869663_2105434647_o_zpsa3507697.jpg

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I had that exact Boker knife...sadly it was stolen along with other items when I let the Army move my stuff. It was such a good knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Bottom knife was the first knife I could call my own. Some model of Browning, tanto edge with serrations. Went through the washing machine a couple times as a kid and the medallions kind of fell off.

First expensive knife which led me to me spending a large amount of money with this sickness, a Busse NMSFNO

I blame Mike and Bob for the Busse

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Brad started me on knives on a serious level. I blame Brad. :) Most of my knives in my collection are fixed blades. Imagine that........:):

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I bet seems to be the catchphrase of the particular forum blame brad:):. He got the ball started on my first automatic knife.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I can't remember which knife I got first. I know I have a whole draw full now. The military did me in on that aspect. Always kinda looking for the better tool. I loved CRT knives. 2 custom knives from a knive maker in a wheel chair at Stones Trace carved out of antler with eagles on the pommels. I believe he has passed now. (Sharp knives..) I have a few Gerber's including an auto, a benchmade, and various others still looking to get a Ghurka (sp?) not one made in china either.. I try to buy the best tools I can afford.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I've tried to develop an interest over the years and have almost always carried a pocket knife. I just never, and still am not into "collecting". Recently though, I've become a little more interested and have bought a few. The one that started it was a Kershaw Leek. I also have a couple of Walther knives I like(I carry a P99). Then I picked up a SOG Field Pup for a fixed blade and a Cold Steel Voyager to carry "tactically" along with the Leek. I've looked at a few automatic knives at Midwest Gun Exchange but nothing has tripped my trigger to buy. At first I was going to buy an auto knife as soon as I could. Now I'm not sure if I will. The good ones are more than I really want to spend on a knife and I don't buy cheap crap. Hopefully, I'll run into Brad setup at gun show to get a little more hands on feel for if I want one. I can generally get a decent discount from MGE, but they haven't had anything that excites me.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Brads going to be at the kokomo show on the 14 and 15 of this month. The microtech's in my opinion are the best for the money. Good luck in your search.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My parents gave me a Wenger "Motorist" SAK for my 13th birthday. Pretty sure my dad got it at JC Penney on clearance when they were eliminating their sporting goods.

Anyway, my mom said to me, "You can add that to your collection."

I replied, "You don't let me have knives. I don't have a collection."

But then I realized I did, comprised of one very spiffy Wenger SAK. It continued to mostly low end Japanese knives from the early 1980s with a few gems thrown into the mix such as long discontinued Gerber drop point folder that made in Taiwan but is also one of the best factory made folders I've ever seen (and my earliest knife made from AUS 8A).

I also started sharpening when I was 13. I should get the hang of it . . . some day.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I honestly can't say what started me down the path of knife collecting. I have for as long as I remember have had an affinity for knives, swords, axes and cutting tools. I remember when I was really young 5 or 6 my dad helped me build a wooden kit knife I got for my birthday. But I am pretty sure I got it because I always wanted knives I saw in stores. So I can't say for sure that is where it started for me but it is one of the biggest things I remember from back then. Aside from my first time shooting.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    Dad collected (mostly) Case knives when I was younger, he gave me one of his peanut's when I was in kindergarten. It was more of a collectible than a user, so that was soon replaced with a SAK that I used for quite a few years. Always having a knife in my pocket from that early on just kinda evolved into always checking out different knives, and picking some up here and there to see if they would hold up. Very few did.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    my pops bought me a hollow handle survival knife when I was like 7. thing was bad to the bone. saw back cool sheath with a smaller knife in it. it's what really got me hooked. wasn't the best made knife in the world but it stood up to my abuse as a 7 year old which says a lot. I still got it over at there house too. I need to pick that bad boy up one of these days.

I know it needs a crazy good sharpening since when pops first gave it to me he made me go out on the concrete and rub the blade till it was stupid dull lol

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    my collection of 50 knives started when i was 7 years old. my dad gave me a sweet older knife, the same knife his dad gave him at the age of 7. one day ill have the priveledge of handing the knife to my son.

Top Bottom