• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    When my grandson went to pre-pre kindergarten last year, at the end of the year the teachers asked my daughter if she knew he could read most words. It took them long enough to figure that out. Luckily we live in a fairly rural area so most of the big town BS doesn't apply. If it starts, there will be a change in schooling.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Have seen good and bad on both. Wife and two kids educators.. good advice in previous posts.
    Worked in a college for 25 years and you could see the difference in MOST home schooled kids.
    Social issues lacking ..and huge issues dealing with peer pressure is a good start If they have good group interactions helps tremendously when home schooling

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I’m just not that bright, or hard working.

Not to say most teachers are either. Certainly not the young public school teachers. That’s why we researched schools and are sending our kids to Catholic elementary and High school. Expensive but worth it.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Home schooling is appealing to us. Our kids are grades 4th, 3rd and pre K right now in the public system. To answer your question as to what stops us from doing it.

1. The cost
    2. So far our kids have thrived under the structure provided by LCSC. One of our kids in particular needs that structure and providing that kind of structure at home (with a pre k in the mix) seems impossible.
    3. The indoctrination is real and we frequently (usually daily) have conversations with our kids about what ideologies are being taught from gender, eminent climate crisis, politics and on and on. Our 4th grader has an openly trans kid in his class. The school openly celebrates this kid. As much as we’d like to say “that’s it, we’re out!”, there is a part of us that feels that’s just running away and we should focus more on preparing them for the world they will and are encountering. It’s a big decision either way. On one hand we want to protect our kids, on the other hand our kids need to see the world for what it is and learn how to think critically against the deceptive ideologies. I think both can be done both settings, home schooling and sending to public school. Every family and child will have different needs and variables.
    Thank you, I started thinking about my answer and read yours and thought, yep this right here.
    I know we're still safe on the indoctrination front as long as my kids, 11 and 15, keep coming home and when asked how school was start part of their response with, "These idiots tried to tell us...." Just have to make sure they know what they're there to be learning and what is B.S.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We homeschooled our daughter for the last 5 years. My wife is a professor in a education department for a local college so she was very capable to do it. This school year we sent her back to regular school. She is a only child and there are no kids around us her age. She was going crazy during the pandemic. After speaking with her extensively she decided to go back to school. She is very social and homeschooling was no longer working for us. While getting up so early is not her favorite thing, she is so happy to be back in school.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    I think I will want my kids homeschooled part of their schooling, but not all of it. Now, kids can often get an associate’s degree before graduating high school. That’s a massive opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    We looked at all options. I have been very happy with the small, rural public school we drive our kids to. I think they get a superior education there vs. what I could offer at home and a better opportunities than the local private schools.

If they had to attend the schools in the district we live in, it would change the calculation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom