• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I have never used anything other than a single stage press, I load mostly pistol calibers and probably load about 3000 rounds a year. I have been looking at the progressive automatic indexing turret press or going with a fully progressive press.
    Now if I understand it right the auto indexing or manual indexing still require the same amount of strokes as the manual press I have. With the progressive type I will put out a loaded shell every stroke of the press. Now if I am right ??? Can some of you guys give me some input as to what type of press I could get the best use out of ??? I am getting by with my old single stage but I have a lot of time wrapped up on the stool in front of the press. Is the indexing style that much faster ????

Thanks

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If you want it to last a lifetime and have the BEST CS, go Dillon in a progressive. Pricey, but they rock. I have a 650 xl, lots of rounds per hr! Single stage I have always liked and (own a very old) RCBS.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    At 3000 rounds a year, I know I'm going to get flamed, but either get a turret press from Lee, or if you are both wedded to the idea of a progressive press AND mechanically inclined, get the Lee Pro1000. The Dillon is beautiful, but you can crank out your years supply in a weekend on both, and you'll be forever recovering the extra cost of the Dillon. If you DO decide that money isn't an issue, hit up Aszerigan here on INGO; he'll get you set up right!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    At 3000 rounds a year, I know I'm going to get flamed, but either get a turret press from Lee, or if you are both wedded to the idea of a progressive press AND mechanically inclined, get the Lee Pro1000. The Dillon is beautiful, but you can crank out your years supply in a weekend on both, and you'll be forever recovering the extra cost of the Dillon. If you DO decide that money isn't an issue, hit up Aszerigan here on INGO; he'll get you set up right!

Another vote for the turret. If you break down that 3000 rounds, thats only 15, maybe 20 hours at the press a year on the turret.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Rockhopper has a good point with the turret press. If you're comfortable on the single stage (or your not very technically inclined), the Lee turrets (or an RCBS turret) are a good way to go. If you have a Rockchucker, you can also get a kit to convert it to a Turret. Its going to keep you in your comfort zone while increasing your round count per hour.

Good suggestion, Erik.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Look at it this way, once you get a good progressive you will load more ammo due to tis ease of use, thus you will shoot more.

I say go big, get a Dillion 650xl with case feeder, it will last you a lifetime with the best customer service and warranty in the industry. Not to mention it is easily converted to other calibers with quick change conversions.

Buy once, cry once.
    Get a Dillion.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I bought a Dillon 550B and had never made a single round. I use it and make a single round at a time like you would a turret press. I don't want to get in over my head being new at reloading. I have all I need for whatever the future brings.........I think.
    After using Andrews rockchucker at class I want to buy a good used one of them as well. Good luck on your purchase.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    At 3000 a year, I think a progressive really starts to look like a good investment, at least for your high volume loads.

The most I have loaded in an evening by batch loading was 300. Versus 300-600 an hour on a progressive.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    Dillon in my book!

:+1:
    As others have said, pop for the progressive as when loading becomes faster, your annual round count will likely go higher. I Have owned or used extensively LEE Pro 1000, Hornady Progressive, Lyman turret, Dillon SDB, Dillon XL650, Dillon RL550, and myriad single stage presses! Been reloading for over 30 years! I now own 2 Dillon RL550's and an RCBS Rockchucker. All Dillon products are GREAT! However, they each have their own unique quirks. The SDB doesn't use standard 7/16-14" dies so you are forced to use Dillon dies. The SDB is really limited to just pistol calibers as well. The XL650 is great if you're going to crank out lots of ammo of the same primer size. It's a bit of a hassle to change primer sizes and re-set the press for use use. Not bad mind you but still.

I think the 550 is the best bang for the buck for a mid level reloader. You can pretty easily load 400-500 rnds an hour, the primer feed is easy to change over, it has 4 die stations and is manually indexed. Some may consider this a handicap, but it allows for VERY easy die set-up and gives the flexibility of being used in a single stage manner if you so desire. The indexing becomes second nature and doesn't impeed hi volume loading. The press can be had with a very good/informative video that will walk you through set-up and use. I have personally helped 5 people that had no reloading experience get set up and loading in one short evening on a 550! By the 550 and it will give you a lifetime of quality loads!

Just a word on the Pro 1000, they do work moderately well for a little while. Most of the parts are made of soft, cast aluminum that wears REALLY fast.The primer feed mechanism depends on gravity and vibration during press use to drop primers from the tray. Moderately reliable at best. They require constant maintenance and tinkering to keep running.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Look at it this way, once you get a good progressive you will load more ammo due to tis ease of use, thus you will shoot more.

I say go big, get a Dillion 650xl with case feeder, it will last you a lifetime with the best customer service and warranty in the industry. Not to mention it is easily converted to other calibers with quick change conversions.

Buy once, cry once.
    Get a Dillion.

As the owner of a Hornady LNL AP, :+1:to the Dillon products.

mn5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Dillon 650 - pays for itself in @ 4k rounds verses factory 45 ACP. The payback will depend on accessories you choose - mine was fully loaded. I purchased one 2 years ago and have had no problems with the unit.

Top Bottom