• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    Anyone actually know why it takes so long to approve Applications? When I call I get "Pending since June 3" which is odd because the paperwork sent certified mail was signed for in mid May. Just curious!

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Well since every other government office is so efficient, some one had to be slow. There is probably a small number of people actually doing the checks, so they get backed up, i just bought my first NFA item today, and i am already sick of waiting, and my paperwork is not even done yet. I'm hoping i will have mine before Christmas, so i can start the next one. Yep, I'm hooked.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Because there are less than 15 examiners who process thousands of form a year. I have read they actually only spend 10mimutes per form of actual work. Plus they have to wait on the FBI to clear your prints. Lastly, they are BATFE government employees, so they can do as bad of a job as they want and not really worry about it. I mean this is the same agency that brought us Operation Gun runner...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Only because they know that they are violating your constitutional rights and that they have you by the ****s!

There is no constitutional reason why you shouldn't be able to go out and buy a machinegun, or cut your barrel down, or install hearing protection on any firearm. That is why they take so long, because they "gotcha"!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    As I understand it , the state does it's checks and if you've been a good boy they send it up to the feds .

IMO , that should be the end of the process . If your state says your G2G , the feds should rubber stamp it and send you the stamps .

It's a BS process that takes WAY TOO FREAKIN LONG ! I'm glad I did two at the same time cause I'll never do it again .

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    As I understand it , the state does it's checks and if you've been a good boy they send it up to the feds .

IMO , that should be the end of the process . If your state says your G2G , the feds should rubber stamp it and send you the stamps .

It's a BS process that takes WAY TOO FREAKIN LONG ! I'm glad I did two at the same time cause I'll never do it again .

The state does no check. Some local governments, like IMPD do limited local criminal history checks which are nothing compared to the FBI's Federal Triple III background and AFIS checks.

I don't even think all local .gov's even take the time or resources to do the local check because they know what the fed's are going to do.

However, I do agree that it is a BS process and takes way to freakin long!!!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The state does no check. Some local governments, like IMPD do limited local criminal history checks which are nothing compared to the FBI's Federal Triple III background and AFIS checks.

I don't even think all local .gov's even take the time or resources to do the local check because they know what the fed's are going to do.

I stand corrected sir .

A coincidence I just noticed , 02/21 we do business , all the local paperwork finally gets done and on 07/21 I overnight the forms to the ATF .

Maybe I'll get the cans sometime this year . :dunno: GRRRRR !

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

I don't even think MOST local .gov's even take the time or resources to do the local check because they know what the fed's are going to do.

FIFY. I would say it's probably a very small percentage of localities that do a background check before signing off. Probably big municipalities/counties lead the way there.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    FIFY. I would say it's probably a very small percentage of localities that do a background check before signing off. Probably big municipalities/counties lead the way there.

Chesterton doesn't. They record your name when you get printed, but don't hold anything up waiting on a background check.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    1-You are working with 2 different branches of the Federal Government. I can't think of a Federal office that isn't renowned for taking their sweet ass time to do anything, and aren't inefficient in doing so.
    2-The process is archaic at best. It is 2011. Why can't you submit a set of digital prints for your first item to have logged into in their server, and submit a new form electronically via web server for each additional item you are purchasing?
    3-They have you by the balls. If you want to play with the really cool evil black toys, you have to play by their rules, or face risk of prison.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    According to the ATF Facts and Figures report there were 834,328 NFA applications approved in fiscal year 2009.

With the 10 examiners that comes out to 228 forms per person, per day!

ATF Fact Sheet - Facts and Figures (FY 2009)
    That's a lot of work! I have more respect for them now then I did before I read this thread. While the wait sucks, I now know why. As long as they don't raise the cost of the stamp then I'm happy!

Edit, I did the math and got slightly different numbers....
    The 834,328 divided by 365 is 2258 and some change, but they don't work everyday so estimating at 260 days it is 3208 and change! That's insane! Break it down even further... divided by 8 for the 8 hour day and its 401 an hour.... even further divided by the 60 minutes in an hour and its 6.68 a minute! That's just under one every ten seconds..... That is truly insane! Not much time to investigate someone!

Last edited:

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    That's a lot of work! I have more respect for them now then I did before I read this thread. While the wait sucks, I now know why. As long as they don't raise the cost of the stamp then I'm happy!

Edit, I did the math and got slightly different numbers....
    The 834,328 divided by 365 is 2258 and some change, but they don't work everyday so estimating at 260 days it is 3208 and change! That's insane! Break it down even further... divided by 8 for the 8 hour day and its 401 an hour.... even further divided by the 60 minutes in an hour and its 6.68 a minute! That's just under one every ten seconds..... That is truly insane! Not much time to investigate someone!

divide the first number by ten first (ten examiners) ....... before going into your days hours min....;) then you have what each one does

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    divide the first number by ten first (ten examiners) ....... before going into your days hours min....;) then you have what each one does
    Crap, I knew there was something I was forgetting. Stupid math!
    320 a day
    40 an hour
    That is still not a lot of time "investigating" sounds more like punching your name in a computer, it says your good, they approve. Not sure why this has not become an online service. Would certainly streamline the process.

JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    Got off the phone with them (BATAF) today, ask what is the time frame from "Pending" to "Approved" her answer was up to five months. Joy!
    Guess I will back down from my weekly phone calls for a while.

Top Bottom