What the heck happened to my smart phone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As this screen shot shows, the upper third of the screen looks like the old time cathode ray tube television screens used to.

The other day I noticed what looked like a wet spot between the glass face and the screen underneath it, about where I put the red dot. The next day the spot was gone but the lines were still there.

What do you think happened to it?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yeah, I figured I'd get some of that.

But really, I know of nothing unusual that happened to it.
    I've had it since the HTC, Thunderbolts came out a few years back.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Have you backed up your data and done a factory reset?

No, but I removed the battery. Other than that, I don't have any idea how to do a factory reset.
    I don't see any holes for a reset and the manual doesn't address that.

I think I should let the local Verizon store do something like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No, but I removed the battery. Other than that, I don't have any idea how to do a factory reset.
    I don't see any holes for a reset and the manual doesn't address that.

I think I should let the local Verizon store do something like that.

There might be a moisture indicator somewhere inside your battery compartment. A white adhesive dot that will turn red if moisture has been present.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    How old is the phone? May have gotten some dust or something inside and shorted something. Things anymore are packed so tight it wouldn't take much to short something out

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know for a fact it has never been wet.
    The wet looking spot was the only way I knew how to describe it.

I had that impression. That's why I suggested the reset. Software/firmware issue possibly? Maybe your Verizon guy will know just what to do? It might be worth googling your your phone with some keywords for advice. Normally there is a button or keystroke path.

Moisture is always a concern though. Years ago, I worked warranty service on phones. Lots of phones went belly up from moisture corrosion around the mike (from breath) and headset plug (from any tiny drop of any bit of moisture.)

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Here's one for you. Motorola Droid HD. A great phone until a few weeks ago the internal speaker was vibrating so bad I couldn't understand any incoming calls without the external speaker. Sounded like it was blown. All other speakers are fine. I googled the problem, turns out its not blown. An app was causing the problem. I deleted almost all my apps. Turns out it was the last one I installed. My voice command app. Uninstalled it and the problem is gone. I read other apps can also cause the same issue. Maybe there is a relation with yours leading back to an app.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Looks like you've lost half the horizontal electrodes for that section. Could be shock breaking loose a batch of bad solder joints, wouldn't even have to be a hard shock, it would accumulate over time. Try banging on it (seriously) in various directions and see if any or all of it comes back, or at least flickers.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My guess is there is pressure on one corner of the display. Lay it flat face down and see if it lays flat. It does not take a lot of pressure to cause that wavy look. The phone probably was dropped or leaned on or sat on. I have seen it before it displays I have worked on. The frame on the phone might be bent.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    GENERALLY, when we see this at Geek Squad, it's a hardware problem. We always try a factory reset (after the customer has backed up their pics and whatnot) just to rule out software, but every single one I have worked on with this problem has been a hardware issue. Depending on the age of the phone, carrier, etc., it may be time to upgrade. The fix for this problem (if there's actually one available to you) would probably cost you more than the phone is worth.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I installed the new screen/digitizer assembly and it was easy, took only about 15 minutes and it works like new.

The guy at the Verizon store said it was a common problem with older phones, that's why they push newer ones.
    What ever.

Top Bottom