• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    What point are you trying to make? Have I ever accidentally run a stop sign? Yes. Have I ever intentionally run a stop sign? No.

Not you, I don't care if you have.. In relation to this thread my question was for the original poster.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've heard that startup is harder on an engine and burns more fuel than just letting a car idle for 5 minutes but I have no idea if that is true. It apparently is for diesel engines as I see them idling all the time.

Yes, Start up tends to be the hardest use most engines get in a given day.

I would think sitting at idle for extended periods of time would be harmful to an engine, but I don't know that to be true.

No, think of it as an object in motion takes less energy to remain in motion. During startup the starter has to turn the engine over moving the crank through cold oil, pistons through dry cylinders, fight compression, and finally start. Oil warms up becoming more fluid, cylinders get lubed causing less friction, along with cams, vlaves, timing chains and so forth. Combustion takes the place of the starter motor and keeps the engine moving under essentially perpetual motion. Start up is especially hard on diesels bc they have massive compression ratios.

I can see leaving the car running while on duty to cut down on response time.

What I dont care much for seeing is LEOs driving around thier patrol car as an everyday grocery getter, or taking thier kids to school, or thier familys out to dinner or to the drive-in. I think they should leave the patrol car in the motorpool while off duty and drive thier personal car and pay for thier own gas, like the rest of us do when they are not on duty.

Not cop bashing, but fair is fair no?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    If the OP can show ONE prior post, where he mentioned a car, (not LEO) parked illegally in a fire zone, or running a stop sign, I'd buy the concerned citizen argument.

The facts are more likely that the OP has witness an illegally parked civilian, and a civilian running a stop sign, but has not complained about it.

You can't pick and choose who you report. If it truly bothers you, it should have bothered you equally regardless of who was driving the car.

He's a new member. I've been here a while and there are plenty of posts I haven't made. That proves nothing.

People don't normally complain as much when a "civilian", as you call them, parks illegally or speeds whilst not signaling a turn, because there is this group of people called Police Officers whose sole purpose is to drive around enforcing all of these laws. So, when a Police Officer sees that a "civilian" has illegally parked or has run a stop sign while pulling in front of oncoming traffic, the Police Officer pulls over the "civilian" and dishes out a punishment of some sort.

However, when one of these Police Officers parks illegally or drives around breaking all kinds of traffic laws, other Police Officers generally (for Phylo's sake) do not pull over the law breaking Police Officer and dish out the same punishment that would be dished out had the law breaking Police Officer been a law breaking "civilian". So, it pisses us off to see a special group of people breaking the law and get away with it, with no (to little) repercussions. Hell, we can't even discuss this **** on an internet forum that regularly discusses government abuse of power without members of this special group jumping down our cyber throats. We believe that all Americans should be held to the same standards. That is the entire point of this thread, if I'm not mistaken.

So, if we can't get any law enforcers to enforce the law and punish EVERYONE (including their own) who breaks the law and we can't even talk about it on the internet, what is our recourse?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I am a MOD and I did call the OP a troll. His post fits the definition. The very fact that he felt like coming here to INGO to post not about guns or gun rights, but to post about cops (note, plural) and how they (note, plural) behave against his liking, reflects what INGO has become. I hate and resent that sad fact.

I kind think this guy nailed the problem right in the X ring.:yesway:

Here we go again. Any time a police officer does something wrong, the blame gets put on not just that officer but the rest (note, plural) as well.

The generalizations are something we tend to disagree with.

I don't know what the three of you read, but here is post number one, page one.

I then go to the check outs and overhear a guy (note, singular) complaining about same thing. I smirked and said i was in there for 15 min to find 4 things. He (note, singular) laughed and said he (note, singular) was in there for 45 min and had only few items... I then looked around to find a Fishers Police Charger sitting 15 feet from the door. We drove past it as the guy (note, singular) that was complaining about being in there 45 min came out and got into the cop car. As we passed it I rolled down my window and heard the engine running. As he (note, singular) loaded the trunk with food and drinks. With gas at 3.58 this man (note, singular) left his squad car running, for 45 min while he (note, singular) shopped...The cop (note, singular) ended up running the stop sign pulling out going right on 146th. he (note, singular) had to use the right hand turn lane as merging lane because when he (note, singular) ran the stop sign he (note, singular) pulled out in front of 2 cars... :xmad: The shear fact that he (note, singular) then ran a stop sign, (That would cost you or me 250$) I really am angry that we americans have let it get this bad..... Yet we can't help the troops that come back and are wounded, My father served in the Army in Vietnam, and I served in the Navy.............To protect, and serve, and rob blind? :patriot:

These are not generalizations about Police Officers. This is a thread about a singular person who is employed as a Police Officer. This thread does have a troll or two, just pulling crap out of their asses, but it isn't the OP.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I think we all get a little upset when we see any public servant doing something we civilians would get busted for. It pisses me to be on a highway and a cop cars goes flying by like I'm standing still. Is he on a run? Nooooo. Not unless he always takes his wife and kids with him on duty calls.

A couple years ago a young man going to work at PPG north of Evansville on hwy 41 was killed when he turned left across the south bound lane and was broad sided by a state police car....doing at least 95. The poor guy wasn't used to seeing oncoming traffic coming that fast and misjudged the time he had. Thankfully several citizens travelling south stopped and later testified that the PO had sailed by them many miles up the road at a high rate of speed, never having his lights on. He just wanted to get somewhere quicker and didn't give a rat's anus about the speed limit.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ILikeWherethisThreadIsGoing-1.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What I dont care much for seeing is LEOs driving around thier patrol car as an everyday grocery getter, or taking thier kids to school, or thier familys out to dinner or to the drive-in. I think they should leave the patrol car in the motorpool while off duty and drive thier personal car and pay for thier own gas, like the rest of us do when they are not on duty.

Not cop bashing, but fair is fair no?

It's called a benefit of the job. We call it a take home car and the benefits of the program appear to outweigh having nothing but pool cars. If you would like a vehicle as part of your job why not ask for one? Maybe apply for a different job which has a similar plan? We hear all the time about how if we don't like the career we have chosen we can just walk away, well the same goes for everyone else. If your job doesn't offer you the benefits you want just walk away and go find one that does.

I don't know what the three of you read, but here is post number one, page one.

These are not generalizations about Police Officers. This is a thread about a singular person who is employed as a Police Officer. This thread does have a troll or two, just pulling crap out of their asses, but it isn't the OP.

If you would read the post of mine you quoted in context you should be able to determine that it wasn't directed to the OP, it was a response to another member's post which you will find preceding it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's called a benefit of the job. We call it a take home car and the benefits of the program appear to outweigh having nothing but pool cars. If you would like a vehicle as part of your job why not ask for one? Maybe apply for a different job which has a similar plan? We hear all the time about how if we don't like the career we have chosen we can just walk away, well the same goes for everyone else. If your job doesn't offer you the benefits you want just walk away and go find one that does.

My situation is not that simple. I wish it was from time to time. I have too much invested to just walk away.

And if you want to get technical my personal vehicle is a company car. I still buy my own gas bc I dont think its fair for the company to pay for my weekend trip to Holiday World or the grocery store. Just like I dont think its fair that the tax payers buy the LEO's gas while off duty. Drive the car if you want but dont use the gas card unless your on patrol is all Im saying. And yes I know for a fact that some, atleast in my home town, use the gas card off duty.

I was not meaning to bash cops. I think most of them are honorable people that do an honorable job that most others wouldnt have the balls to do.

Just my :twocents: is all, maybe less than that even.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't think you were bashing cops. Your answer is the same as mine, I've invested too much time and effort in this career and I'm too old to change up now but that doesn't stop people from throwing it in my face.

I don't put many miles on patrol car off duty and I don't work a lot of part time work. I do however spend a lot of my off duty time doing work which benefits the agency and I don't get paid for it. I'm on call 24/7 so I have to have access to the car and my equipment, I think it works out more than fair in the end.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I think take home cars are great. It puts the police "presence" out there. I personally like to see patrol cars in parking lots, at little league games, etc. I always assume the LEO is armed and is right there if needed. I think the OP was upset about the running of the stop sign. He has a right to be honked about that.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I didn't think you were bashing cops. Your answer is the same as mine, I've invested too much time and effort in this career and I'm too old to change up now but that doesn't stop people from throwing it in my face.

I don't put many miles on patrol car off duty and I don't work a lot of part time work. I do however spend a lot of my off duty time doing work which benefits the agency and I don't get paid for it. I'm on call 24/7 so I have to have access to the car and my equipment, I think it works out more than fair in the end.

I understand the take home car for someone in your situation. But in my home town Ive seen dispatchers driving patrol cars off duty. Im not saying all stations allow this and Im not sure ours even does, I cant really imagine a scenario where a dispatcher would need a patrol car anyway, but Im not an LEO so :dunno:

Thank you sir for your service and for being one of the honorable ones.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think take home cars are great. It puts the police "presence" out there. I personally like to see patrol cars in parking lots, at little league games, etc. I always assume the LEO is armed and is right there if needed. I think the OP was upset about the running of the stop sign. He has a right to be honked about that.

There is more of a presence out there but not sure to what effect. The extra cars out possibly keep the speed in check a little on 465 (maybe) until you see the person driving in "civilian" clothes not caring about the speed limit themselves. As to a previous post, I find it hard to believe that the taxpayers gas up the cars when the officers are off duty?? After awhile to me the cars have no more value when seen parked somewhere then car alarms do and we know how much people pay attention to those.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As to a previous post, I find it hard to believe that the taxpayers gas up the cars when the officers are off duty??

I know for a fact that around my home town some of the officers use thier county gas cards to fill up thier patrol cars and even thier civilian cars while off duty. We the tax payers pay for the money on those gas cards. Im not saying everyone does it, But I went to high school with a few of the newest local LEOs and one dispatcher for Morgan County. Ive personally seen them use the card off duty and they even told me they use it all the time.

I dont hang out with them anymore.

Martinsville's politics are almost as bad as Chicago w/o the gun control. If your family your a made man, friends get cushy jobs and fat pay checks while our roads are in disrepair, our water is tainted, and our police taser and abuse young disabled children.Our fire department gets a brand new 100ft ladder truck that is so big it cant even fit on alot of the roads in town. Also the tallest building in Martinsville is only 3 stories. All while our mayor gives himself a nice fat raise and threatens anexation of outlayng ares in a massive land grab effort to raise tax revenue bc our city is bankrupt. Gee, I wonder why?

Top Bottom