• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    found this on another site. have no idea about the accuracy of these "facts"

Elvis Presley gave his last concert at Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, on June 26, 1977.

Tomato juice was first served at a French Lick Hotel in 1925.

The Prairie Farmer publication has featured the cartoon 'Slim and Spud' for 30 years. This cartoon is drawn by Hoosier Max Gwin.

The world's largest orchid species collection is found at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.

The first regulated speed limit on Indiana roads was initiated in 1921. 25 mph! Just Cruisin'!

Purdue is Indiana's land grant college.

An average of 400 funnel clouds are sighted each year in Indiana.

The exteriors of the hit movie 'Hoosiers' was filmed just 25 miles from the Purdue campus at New Richmond, Indiana.

Remember another hit movie - 'Breaking Away'? Well, it was filmed in Bloomington, Indiana and partially on the campus of Indiana University (I.U.)!

The city of Gary, Indiana, was built on fill brought from the bottom of Lake Michigan through suction pipes.

There are only two Adams fireplaces in the United States. One is in the White House and the other in the Diener Home in Indiana.

Infamous bank robber, John Dillinger, declared he would never rob any banks in Anderson, Indiana, because there were railroad tracks over every exit road.

Josie Orr, ex-wife of former Indiana Governor Robert Orr, flew bombers and cargo planes during World War II.

The Indianapolis Methodist Hospital is the largest hospital in the Midwest.

One of the first complete bathrooms in Indianapolis was in the home of Hoosier poet, James Whitcomb Riley.

The career of Dorothy Lamoure (famous for the Crosby-Hope road movies) was launched in Indianapolis.

Aviatrix Amelia Earhart was once a Professor at Purdue University.

One of the first evaporated milk companies was started by an Indiana dentist, Dr. Wilson.

Crown Hill Cemetery (Indianapolis) is the largest cemetery in the U.S.

Fort Wayne, Indiana, library houses one of the largest genealogy libraries in America.

Wabash, Indiana, was the first electrified city in the U.S.

Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the first hanging of a white man for killing Indians.

Indianapolis has the most Interstate legs in the U.S. earning it the title of 'Crossroads of America.'

The Courthouse in Greensburg, Indiana, has a tree growing from its roof.

The world's first transistor radio was made in Indianapolis.

Clark Gable and wife Carole Lombard (a Hoosier) honeymooned at Lake Barbee near Warsaw, Indiana.

The American Beauty Rose was developed at Richmond, Indiana.

Elkhart, Indiana, is the band instrument capitol of the World.

Frank Sinatra first sang with the Tommy Dorsey band at the Lyric Theater in Indianapolis.

Purdue Alumnus, Earl Butz, served as the Secretary of Agriculture.

U.S. 231 is the longest highway in Indiana (231 miles).

Johnnie Appleseed is buried at Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The singing McGuire Sisters spent their childhood summers at the Church of God Campground in Anderson, Indiana..

The main station of the Underground Railroad was in Fountain County, Indiana.

There is 154 acres of sculpture gardens and trails at the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

LaPorte County is the only county in America having two functioning Courthouses.

Nancy Hanks Lincoln is buried in Posey County, Indiana.

Crawfordsville, Indiana (Montgomery County) is the only site in the world where Crinoids (marine organisms found in limestone) are found.

The Lincoln Museum in Allen County contains the world's largest private collection of President Abraham Lincoln mementos (Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, Fort Wayne, IN).

Buffalos roamed in Indiana at the Needmore Buffalo Farm in Harrison County.

Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the 'Fall Creek Massacre.' A museum housing 3500 artifacts of pioneer heritage now exists on that site.

St. Meinrad Archabbey is located in Spencer County and is one of only two archabbeys in the U.S. and seven in the world. Abbey Press is an operation of the Archabbey.

A Buzz Bomb (German - WWII) believed to be the only one on public display in the nation, can be found on the Putnam County Courthouse lawn in Greencastle.

Swayzee, Indiana, is truly the only Swayzee in the world.

You can't ship wine to Indiana. (So, how does it get here?)

Bob Greise is from Indiana. (Old Purdue Boy)

Toni Tenille (of The Captain and Tenille) is from Indiana.

Oprah Winfrey built her residence in northern Indiana.

John Mellancamp is a Hoosier and resides in Bloomington.

The much sought after Hoosier Cabinets are an Indiana product.

90% of the world's popcorn is grown in Indiana.

The Jackson Five are from northern Indiana as well as 'Super Fan' Russ McLeod.

Florence Henderson is from Indiana.

FOR ALL OLD CAR LOVERS..... The birthplace of the automobile, pneumatic rubber tire, the aluminum casting process, stainless steel, and the first push-button car radio was Kokomo, Indiana. (Hence th e nickname 'City of Firsts').

One of the first automobiles, the Haynes Apperson, was made in Kokomo, IN. Indiana automotive history begins with Elwood Haynes' kitchen experiment with an internal combustion engine in the fall of 1893. The historic demonstration of his Pioneer automobile along Pumpkinvine Pike in Kokomo, on July 4, 1894, preceded commercial automobile production by two years. Commercial production in Indiana, and concurrently in the United States, began with the first recorded sale of a Haynes-Apperson automobile in the fall of 1896. The Muncie 4-speed transmission was used with many different GM models and engine combinations from 1963-1974, was built in Muncie

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Many of these facts I know to be true.

Interesting collection of information and it definitely shows some of the trendsetters and pioneers in our state

One I didn't read on the list is Filo Farnsworth, the "father" of television. He was a long-time Fort Wayne resident.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Even though most of the rest of the USA couldn't show you Indiana on a map, a lot of really cool things have happened here.

Indiana's history is vastly underrated.

jjmglocktrumpet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    bloomington
    Even though most of the rest of the USA couldn't show you Indiana on a map, a lot of really cool things have happened here.

Indiana's history is vastly underrated.

That is very true. I was in a cab in Oakland, Ca and was asked the typical where you from? I said Indiana and his reply was "oh, up by New York", I said "close, you fly over it to get to NY"

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah I remember when I was stationed in Central Texas, talking to a cute little bar fly. She asked where I was from. I replied with Indiana, and her next question was "that's in the pan handle right?". I of course new that I had found a winner.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Kokomo inventions and Locals who are of note

"City of Firsts" inventions

1894 - Elwood Haynes makes the first successful trial run of his "horseless carriage" on Pumpkinvine Pike.
    1894 - The first pneumatic rubber tire was invented by D.C. Spraker at the Kokomo Rubber Tire Company.
    1895 - The first aluminum casting was developed by William "Billy" Johnson from the Ford and Donnelly Foundry.
    1902 - The first carburetor developed by George Kingston.
    1906 - The first Stellite cobalt-base alloy was discovered by Elwood Haynes.
    1912 - Stainless steel tableware was invented by Elwood Haynes as a response to his wife's desire for tableware that wouldn't tarnish.
    1918 - The Howitzer shell, used in World War I, was created by the Superior Machine Tool Company.
    1918 - The first aerial bomb with fins was first produced by the Liberty Pressed Metal Company.
    1920 - The mechanical corn picker was created by John Powell.
    1926 - Carl Molin developed Dirilyte golden-hued tableware.
    1928 - The first canned tomato juice was created by Walter Kemp from Kemp Brothers Canning Company in response to a physician's need for baby food.
    1938 - The first push-button car radio was created at Delco Radio Division of General Motors Corporation.
    1941 - Globe American Stove Company manufactured the first all-metal life boats and rafts.
    1947 - The first signal-seeking car radio was created by the Delco Radio Division of General Motors.
    1957 - Delco Radio Division of General Motors developed the first all transistor car radio.
    PicExportError

Notable people from Kokomo

Jack Purvis, jazz musician
    Sylvia Jane Kirby, singer
    John O'Banion, singer
    Ryan White, AIDS activist
    Rupert Boneham, Survivor contestant
    Elwood Haynes, inventor, automotive pioneer
    Elmer Apperson, automotive pioneer
    Edgar Apperson, automotive pioneer
    Steve Butler, Six-time Sprint Car National Champion
    Steve Kroft, 60 Minutes Correspondent
    John D. Shearer, Photographer
    Norman Bridwell, author of the Clifford the Big Red Dog books
    Strother Martin, actor (best known as the prison "captain" in the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke)
    Bob Ford, National-Award winning Sports Editor for the Kokomo Tribune.
    Kaitlyn Christopher, Miss Indiana USA 2005
    Thomas F. Brannon, artist and musician
    Matthew Crull, musician
    Samuel Blatt, political activist
    Chris Thomas, Guitarist
    Michael W. Gordon, appeared in the movie terror squad
    Floyd Talbert, Soldier (of Band of Brothers fame)
    John Oetjen, Grammy Award winner, Television and Film Producer
    Joe Thatcher, Nicknamed "The Prime Minister" currently a pitcher for the San Diego Padres
    Jimmy Rayl, Splendid Splinter, Indiana Pacers 1967-1969, 2 Time All-American Indiana University
    Tom Underwood, Former Major League Pitcher, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees, Oakland A's, and Baltimore Orioles
    Pat Underwood, Former Major League Pitcher, Detroit Tigers
    Kent "OZ" Nelson, Former CEO of United Parcel Service
    Sara Bassett-Sullivan, Indianapolis 500 Queen 1988
    Jim "Goose" Ligon, Former ABA Player, Kentucky Colonels
    Jason Hinkle, Musician The Baldwin Brothers, Contract with TVT Records.
    TJ Widner, Musician The Baldwin Brothers, Contract with TVT Records.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Yeah I remember when I was stationed in Central Texas, talking to a cute little bar fly. She asked where I was from. I replied with Indiana, and her next question was "that's in the pan handle right?". I of course new that I had found a winner.
    :lmfao:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The main gym in "Hoosiers" is located in Knightstown, Indiana and you can take a free tour, buy t-shirts etc there. It is still used daily by youth and church league basketball teams. One of the away game locations is the gym at St. Philip Neri grade school located on Rural street in Indy. If you go looking for that gym be sure to pack an extra mag or two because it is located in one of the highest crime areas in town.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I haven't seen this one posted yet...

If you remember the movie A League of Their Own (baseball movie with Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna... ), some of the scenes were shot at the old Bush Stadium before the new Indians stadium was built. I think it was the scene where the women are playing ball before going to the Hall of Fame at the beginning of the movie.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The main gym in "Hoosiers" is located in Knightstown, Indiana and you can take a free tour, buy t-shirts etc there. It is still used daily by youth and church league basketball teams. One of the away game locations is the gym at St. Philip Neri grade school located on Rural street in Indy. If you go looking for that gym be sure to pack an extra mag or two because it is located in one of the highest crime areas in town.

On top of this there are at least two Lebanon, IN landmarks in Hoosiers; the Avon theatre (burnt down in the 90's), and one of the other gyms (the name is escaping me right now), just north of the square, part of the building is now seniors apartments.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I haven't seen this one posted yet...

If you remember the movie A League of Their Own (baseball movie with Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna... ), some of the scenes were shot at the old Bush Stadium before the new Indians stadium was built. I think it was the scene where the women are playing ball before going to the Hall of Fame at the beginning of the movie.

Yes, I was there as an "extra." :)

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    The movie Hard Rain was partially shot in Huntingburg. I was dating a girl living in Ferdinand at the time. I really didn't care about the movie, unlike the masses who came to Showplace East in Evansville where I was working at the time. Plus, the movie Public Enemies had some scenes shot in Crown Point. Again, I could care less, unlike the masses who flocked there when it was filming.

Top Bottom