• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Believe it or not, I look at the sellers feedback more than the pistol. I've bought two Glocks recently that I spent zero time looking at. One from billybob44 and the other from Disposable Heart. Both have fantastic feedback and honestly described their firearms. Any gun show buys I look more at the outside for buggered screws and general condition. Buggered screws are a sign of a tinkerer. Don't even get me started on stippled polymer frame pistols.

Great points. Buy the seller is big on my list. I'll have to remember the buggered screw thing as well. I don't know that buying used is something I'll do very often but all of these tips so far have been extremely enlightening.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is sort of interesting. I wonder why that is.

Because most people are owners/collectors first and shooters second. Ammo is expensive and you can't brag about it to your buddies, plus once you shoot it's gone and you can't resell it to recoup part of your purchase price. Figure a quality gun will last 80k rounds or more, and that's a lot of ammo.

Then, of course, time is limited.

Finally, bigger collections mean some guns get shot very little. I own guns I've put less than 200 rounds through. I own a few I've put 40k through. It's not a even distribution.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Because most people are owners/collectors first and shooters second. Ammo is expensive and you can't brag about it to your buddies, plus once you shoot it's gone and you can't resell it to recoup part of your purchase price. Figure a quality gun will last 80k rounds or more, and that's a lot of ammo.

Then, of course, time is limited.

Finally, bigger collections mean some guns get shot very little. I own guns I've put less than 200 rounds through. I own a few I've put 40k through. It's not a even distribution.

i'm new to this, but this makes sense. Heck I just started getting the bug for this last fall and I have a few already but haven't gotten out to the range yet. Hope to remedy this next Saturday. I have to wait to take the range orientation class before I can get on the range. It took me awhile to find the range I wanted to join, besides the winter isn't really that conducive to outside range target shooting.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    BBI makes a very good point. I don't worry to much about buying used. There is an old saw that goes; Shooters don't collect or hunt, hunters don't collect or shoot a lot, collectors neither shoot nor hunt. Collectors are the toughest inspectors. They can see a mangled screw head twenty feet away. (and contend it drops the percent finish to 75%).

Top Bottom