• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've been getting stuff ready for my first 3 gun shoot and Ive got all the basic things I think I'll need (guns,mags,pouches, and ammo). My only question is, what are some things I need to bring that a first timer wouldn't think of? I'm talking about things like eye and ear pro, soft cases, hard cases? I've been told ill need chamber flags. These are the type of things I'm wondering about. Is there a list anywhere that would tell me the things I might overlook?

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Experience is the best list. Just bring whatever youll need to spend a whole day outside. Gun stuff is pretty obvious aside from the chamber flags. Maybe a small plastic bag for trash throughout the day.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    A cart to carry all of yourself
    Absolutely!! Something to drink and snack on. Don't assume there will be something there to buy. A comfortable camp chair is nice too when the day gets long and helps you from getting as tired.

Twice as much ammo as they say. Just because it will require 50 pistol rounds to neutralize all the pistol targets doesn't mean YOU can do it with 50 rounds. One round in the A ring is all it takes, but if you are putting 2 rounds anywhere to do the same job......you'll need the extra ammo. Then there are misses and occasional re-shoots to take into consideration.

You'll be GLAD the first "accessory" that you get is a cart to carry all your stuff. All that ammo gets heavy and cumbersome. Then you have your rifle, shotgun, pistol and all the magazines.........geez, it gets to be ALOT to drag from stage to stage.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    So I don't need to worry about showing up and not having something I might need? Do people generally move their guns in cases? Cause I'm not buying a cart just to move stuff. Do my guns need to be cased when moving to different stages? Do I have to wear muffs or are earplugs ok? Thanks for the mention of bringing a lunch and drinks, and a chair. I would have overlooked that.

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Each match/range will have different rules when it comes to safety. I would read up on the rules of the match you plan to attend. But for an example I took this from INMG 2013 rules from their webpage.

Rifles & Shotguns (transporting from vehicle & in-between stages)
    Rifles & shotguns must be cased, carried/slung with the muzzle up, or secured in a gun-cart. Rifles & shotguns must have a chamber safety flag in place & detachable magazines removed. Once at a stage rifles & shotguns must remain cased, in a gun-cart, or in a gun rack until it is your
    turn to shoot.
    Handguns (carry between stages)
    Handguns must be cased or remain in holster with the magazine removed except in designated Safety Areas, or under the direction of a Range Officer.

80% of shooters use some kind of cart or wagon
    10% carry bags around
    10% drive vehicles to each bay (if range is capable...i.e. ACC yes...HSS no)

like I said each range may be different but this is pretty much the same everywhere I have been. This year at ACC they are wanting everyone to un-case long guns down in a bay. They went over it at the last match they hosted and maybe they will include this change in the 2014 rules.

Any eye and ear pro will work. I normally have both muffs and earplugs on me because some rifle comps can get loud.

As for the question of forgetting something... I have yet to meet a person at a INMG match that wouldn't give you the shirt off their back

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Don't forget range finder or binoculars, different choke tubes, different mag combos for rifle (sometimes a 20 round mag is beneficial when going prone), slugs, knee pads, basic tool kit with allen keys, screw drivers & pliers, misc. spare parts for guns, cooler with water & snacks, rain gear & umbrella, sun screen, insect repellent, first aid kit. Most of this stuff I always keep in my bag. All I load up before a match are my guns & ammo. Everything else is always packed & ready to go so I'm not stressing out before the match trying to find stuff I'll need. I have two gun bags I take. One is only for pistol. This way if I'm shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge or 3Gun I always have my pistol stuff & don't need to reconfigure it. My other bag is only for 3Gun & this bag has all my long gun stuff, like rifle & shotgun mags, chokes, bipod, range finder, etc. Once you go to a few matches you will develop a system of what you will need to bring.

Some other tips that could help: KNOW YOUR DOPE ON YOUR GUNS! Especially yr rifle. I know I've wasted time on clay birds & newbold targets at 30-40 yards. Also pattern your shotgun with different chokes at different distances. How far can you reach out with a full choke? Know your slug zero for 50-100 yards. Practice gun manipulation & transitioning from one gun to another. This can be done off the range, unloaded of course.

Don't worry about forgetting to bring something. Like others have said, if you need something, somebody is always willing to lend it to ya. Just show up & be prepared to have a great time. Good luck!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Getting started in 3-gun matches | The Daily Caller

http://www.3gunrules.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=7

Getting started in 3 Gun, 3 Gun Gear, what do I need for 3 gun matches or USPSA - YouTube

radio-flyer-classic.jpg

something to carry all that **** in helps

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Ok just saw Repete's post... he covered all of this... my fault for not reading.....
    Here are some of the more odd ball things that really helps outside the obvious safety, and firearms:
    - low recoil shotgun slugs - The match director will usually post a few nights before the ammo requirements. Also, know where your rifle is zero'ed and rise or drop based on distance. That 50yrd shot at a 1" target is really hard.
    - Sunscreen, bug spray, wet wipes, different color shooting glasses (light/dark).
    - Batteries for anything electronic.
    - Camera to take videos to show your friends what you did this past weekend.
    - Pen/Paper. Write stuff down like what you forgot or a name and phone number to say thank you.
    - Crowbar, electric drill to help break down stages
    - Tape to tape off targets if match runs out.
    - Known parts that break on your guns (firing pins, extractors, bolt handles (lost two on a shotgun) and the tools to fix them with.
    - Cleaning kit with a rod to get squib load out of the barrel.
    - Pop up shelter if its hot or rainy
    - Change of cloths to go home in. I would suggest wearing pants, boots/solid shoes, shirt and hat. If feels great to change into a clean shirt, flip flops and shorts after sweeting all day or if its rainy or muddy.
    - A smile and a willingness to learn and a willingness to help out to make things go.

There is tons more. Its like golf or fly fishing. There is a gadget for everything. But most important is to bring what you have and a good attitude and learn what you need to change.

Last edited:

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Your voice and your right hand. Introduce yourself to everyone and ask questions. You'll learn more talking than shooting the first year. Ask to shoulder and/or shoot other peoples guns and gear. And don't hesitate to ask your squad mates for advice and to borrow any gear you don't already have.

good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom