• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love both of your choices, and I wouldn't hesitate to trust and carry either of those two.

Personally, I prefer the 43. Little more capacity, easy to carry a spare mag or two, and faster reloads. I love the 43 and I think it shoots great. I carry a 43 quite often still.

Best of luck with your decision.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Having carried a 43x and S&W 360, I'd go with the 43 consistently. In just about every carry application the 43 is better, aside from cartridge power. But you have easier follow up shots and more capacity (20 rounds if you carry a spare mag). I've also got a milled slide on the 43x ready for a pistol red dot.

I'm a snubby buy, but the 43 is going to win every time.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've got a barrel full of handguns I could carry and I have, but now I just drop my Smith & Wesson 642 into my pocket and forget it's even there it's so light.
    I loaded it with Hornaday 90gn FTX critical defense ammo, it's made specifically for short barreled handguns and I feel very well armed with it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I originally considered the 43X, but I think (?) the smaller footprint of the 43 is what I value. With the pinky extension mag, the 43 feels pretty good.
    Wish you were closer, I would get you behind two or three possibilities so you could make an informed decision. I think you will find very little footprint difference between the 43 with the extension and a 43x.

Twr11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    McCordsvilles
    Currently debating whether to trade the 43 for a 442.
    43 is slide heavy for the thin grip. Love my 19. Still a fanboy don't get me wrong. Like the light weight frame on the 442.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    As a smaller framed individual you may actually find that a J frame in the right holsters i.e. Phlster city special, or something similar will conceal better(print less) than a semi auto of similar size just due to the shape of the grip. (this has been my experience)
    This is actually one of the things that attracted me to the J frame. That, and the aluminum frame. I think it would be a nice size and weight for me. I'm pretty small but my hands are on the bigger side. Or at least my fingers are long. So while the G43 does feel good with the pinky extension, I imagine the 642 might fit my hand better. When it comes down to it, I'll have to compare both side by side.

Everyone's input has been quite helpful.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I wouldn't recommend either if these two tiny guns for a new shooter. Both are difficult to maintain a solid grip to the unseasoned shooter.

Just shoot a magazine or cylinder and see how many times you'll reposition your grip. You don't want that. Besides slowing you down, it makes for poor accuracy, knowing the gun will be jumping around beyond your control.

Nothing wrong with these guns for the seasoned shooter. I personally would never choose the revolver, when the alternative is so much better.

I would get a Gen5 Glock 19 (MOS is a better investment.) Learn how to shoot the most popular pistol in America well first. You can specialize later, if you choose.
    Both my heart and my head agree with you completely. However, as you know most people don't care too much about getting good or even what the best tool for the job is. As much as I hate cliche sayings, the gun you have with you is better than the one you leave at home.

Though I am always ignored, it is my strong opinion that people shouldn't carry a particular firearm until they know they can shoot some type of minimum standard such as the 5 yard round up with it.

eta, No offense to the OP. For all I know he may be a world champion shooter or a mall food court hero one day.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    However, as you know most people don't care too much about getting good or even what the best tool for the job is.
    I don't know what the assumption is, but to be clear, I plan to practice regularly with whichever I choose to go with. But I'm not going to let the fact that they're smaller than a Glock 19 deter me from carrying them. The 19 is great. But that particular gun, IMO, would be absurd for me to carry. I like to keep things minimal, slim, out of the way, etc. I'm just trying to carry something comfortable.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    As has been said, not a cut and dried answer, and definitely shoot both of you can.

Now that that’s out of the way; opinion time…

I’ve been shooting for a good while and have shot quite a few different handguns over the years. I will say first off I love revolvers. Next, I don’t own a Glock 43, but I do have a Smith Shield, so similar in size, capacity and design. I also often carry a 442. I can for sure shoot the Shield better than the 442. J frames are not easy guns to shoot. Lightweight J frames are even tougher. Capacity is almost half. Reloads are slower no matter what method you use. For me, I carry front pocket more than belt carryC just because it’s easier to drop something in my pocket and go. They both fit my pocket well, but the shape of a J frame in a pocket looks like junk in your pocket. A semi auto, due to the frame and slide above and behind the web of your hand, stands out in pocket carry. For IWB or AIWB, that is negated. With the info I have read, I would definitely recommend the Glock for your circumstances. Honestly for AIWB, you can generally carry something bigger, so I’d say try oit a G19 or similar sized competitor.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    As a small guy myself, I know the 43 IWB disappears.
    Extra mag or 2 in the off hand pocket, and your set.
    Most times I don't even need a belt with the 43 IWB setup

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't know what the assumption is, but to be clear, I plan to practice regularly with whichever I choose to go with. But I'm not going to let the fact that they're smaller than a Glock 19 deter me from carrying them. The 19 is great. But that particular gun, IMO, would be absurd for me to carry. I like to keep things minimal, slim, out of the way, etc. I'm just trying to carry something comfortable.
    Yep, I didn't mean anything disparaging about you. I was just responding to the post I quoted in general terms.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    More $0.02 thoughts. The J-frame will probably rock you a bit with 38 +P hollow points. 5 rounds. And that cylinder is just a bit thicker than you'd think. I love J-frames, big 60 and 640 fan. Just stating some obvious first-hand impressions.

I'm not a Glock guy. At all. Don't like the triggers or especially grip angle. But I've shot a G43 and darned if I didn't shoot it well and dare say I enjoyed it! Not to mention excellent aftermarket support.

Food for thought if I may. Consider a S&W Shield. Excellent ergonomics and a decent trigger. My EDC is a Gen1 PC Shield. It disappears beneath an untucked shirt. The PC version is amazingly enjoyable to shoot, and for me anyway it's pretty easy to shoot well.

20200526_144149.jpg

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Having carried both, each are fine options. I have learned that the j frame is easier to carry and it's easier to carry extra 38spl in a speed strip than carry an extra mag. I was always more likely to have 10 rounds of 38 on me but only have what was in the gun of 9mm.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I actually have and have carried both of these. The j-frame was a go-to ankle carry as backup on duty (LEO) and off for years. I tucked it in a belt holster occasionally too.

The 43 is more accurate, higher capacity and easier on the reload. As far as appendix carry, perhaps the Smith will be shorter and easier? The 43 seems a bit taller with the mag extension but seems thinner.

I don’t carry the Smith much anymore since getting the 43. Nothing wrong with the S&W and it is old reliable, just prefer the G43 now.

Top Bottom