• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Alright guys I'm Looking into getting my first handgun, Got my carry permit not too long ago and think its time to finally get a firearm.

I'm looking at

Glock 21

Glock 22

S&W ?

I prefer .40 or .45
    Any opinion on any of them? If you like one over the other (or one caliber over the other) why?

I like Glock because of the amount of accessories you can get for them. I want to be able to CC it without too much problem.

I was also looking for holster recommendations? I want a shoulder one for winter when I wear a jacket, for summer I'm not too sure....

Any advice would be awesome.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Alright guys I'm Looking into getting my first handgun, Got my carry permit not too long ago and think its time to finally get a firearm.

I'm looking at

Glock 21

Glock 22

S&W ?

I prefer .40 or .45
    Any opinion on any of them? If you like one over the other (or one caliber over the other) why?

I like Glock because of the amount of accessories you can get for them. I want to be able to CC it without too much problem.

I was also looking for holster recommendations? I want a shoulder one for winter when I wear a jacket, for summer I'm not too sure....

Any advice would be awesome.

If you like Glocks and the 40 and 45 I would look into the G23 and G27 in 40 and the G30 and G36 in 45. They will be better for carrying in my opinion.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I think by "S&W ?" you mean "S&W M&P" ;)

Comes in both those calibers (plus 9 and 357 Sig), carries 15 rounds of .40 like the G22 (though only 10 of .45), and is a dream to hold and shoot. Bit of a looker, too.

But Glocks are great, too, so I don't think you can go wrong with your selection there.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Criteria A) Get a gun that works.
    Criteria B) Don't worry about the accessories until you've had real, relevant, and recent training.

Doing B, before spending money on gadgets and gizmos will save you a fortune, and possibly your life :)

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    I don't know what you budget looks like but i had a limited amount of funds when i bought my glock and i went with a glock 30sf which i absolutely love and wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Buy the grip extension for around the house they work well enough. My dad has the 21 and when it come to accuracy's i shoot really well with both. it doesn't print to bad either just don't buy a uncle mikes holster for it the plastic clip isn't sturdy enough. Go with at least a don hume. Believe me i can talk all day about this caliber and gun I've shot quite a few different guns and i love this one the most(until i buy my kimber SIS and then things may change). Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do you have any hands on experience with any of the handguns you mentioned?

They are all great handguns and it comes down to personal prefference. If you have experience with them then I would go with the one you are most comfortable with and shoot the best. Personally I am a Glock fan. I like the G30 for a 45ACP.

I agree with Lars above; don't worry too much about the accessories. At least not in the beginning. More times than not they will just give you more problems than anything. All of the firearms you listed are great and leave the factory ready to go. Just feed them plenty of ammo :D

Holsters; if you go with a Glock just make sure you have a holster that covers the triggerguard since the Safe Action Trigger is the only safety. Other than that it again is personal prefference and what works for some does not work for others.

Good luck in your decision process!!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    #1: A gun that is in a caliber you can afford to feed while TRAINING with it.

#2: A gun that you WILL CARRY and not leave at home where it does you no good

#3: Most importantly, a gun that YOU like and shoot well with not what someone on the internet says is a good gun.

Get the gun, get some training, and then worry about stuff to put on it. Most of the aftermarket stuff might be cool but means nothing in a gunfight. Save that money to get a "going out to dinner with the boys" gun that you want to show off. Keep the daily gun functional without a bunch of add ons that really mean nothing when it comes down to the real stuff.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I really thought i liked glocks...then i shot an XD....bought it on the spot...goto the gun range and shoot a bit of everything...they are all functional, just get the one that feels right and puts the lead where u want it to go...

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've shot lots of different firearms the only one on that list i haven't shot is the Glock 21. I want to just haven't got the opportunity yet :/ I do go shooting in the summer with friends just have never had my own firearm to bring with me so I do know about firearms and how to Use them, guess i should have mentioned that.
    Ive used a G27, i cant say i like the size of it, just seems to small for me.

I'm not really worried about accessories any time soon, I just want to know i have that option in the future. I'm Not looking to spend more than 600 or so, which is about right for any of those.
    It seems to me like 40 and 45 ammo cost about the same, so thats why I'm torn on which way to go.
    Thanks for all the reply's.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Though the ammo situation seems to be improving, I can tell you that .45 is still hard to come by (at a decent price) around the New Albany/Clarksville/Jeff/Louisville area. Plenty of .40S&W; makes me wish I'd married that caliber. Nah.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Either of the Glocks or a S&W M&P are solid firearms. Try to get some hands-on experience with them before purchasing. Different guns will feel better in your hand than what others. Also, people often seem to have a better ability to naturally aim certain guns over others.

As stated multiple times above, training is key. That doesn't mean knowing how to poke holes in paper or cans. It means understanding the law, tactical situations, physical reactions and how to deal with them, etc.

Finally, on the holster. Shoulder holsters certainly exist. but aren't very common. Far more common are waistband-holsters- either inside (IWB) or outside (OWB). If you are trying to conceal, then OWBs are still fine under coats and whatnot. IWBs (particularly tuckable IWBs) can be used pretty much all the time- well with a few legal restrictions on carry.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    After several Rugers I finally bought a S&W M&P 9C and I just love it. After carrying an LCP, it did feel rather heavy but that was soon overcome and now I can't even tell it's there on my belt. I am particular on my handguns and demand one that functions and looks great at the same time which is why I opted for the M&P over a Glock.;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Have you considered The XD/Xdm, or how about an FN, CZ is now making polymer framed pistols also. The m&p is a great choice. Not really a fan of Glock. I would look at as many guns a possible, not just choose one because of available accessories. That's my :twocents:

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have considered the XD, The gun shop where I went a couple weeks ago also recommended it, I just didn't like the way it fit in my hand, Not quite as comfortable as a glock.
    The main reason i lean towards glock is because out of all the reviews I have read they seem to have the best reliability.
    I know lots of you are about to post and argue that, I actually want to hear why it wouldn't be the most reliable. Considering the amount of torture tests people put them through.
    I may end up waiting till Jan 15 and seeing whats available at the gun show.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The best advice I have seen on this thread

You already have tons of good advice. The best comments I have seen are:

Get a gun you like, one that you are comfortable with.

Get some training.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm with Eddie. With one caveat. Nobody has mentioned the Sigs. I think you oughta give them a look. The 239 is a small single stack that carries nicely, and the 2022 is a polymer framed double stack, both available in 9mm, .357, and .40. The 2022 I think is really an underrated gun. But back to Eddie, get what YOU like. And be sure and post pix!!! Then get some training and shoot shoot shoot!!
    Good luck!

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    A newbie with a Glock is an accident waiting to happen! You'll shoot yourself pulling the piece or holstering it.

If you have to have an auto as a first gun, get one with a safety! I know it's not macho, but it will keep you out of the ER!

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I understand where your point, but i really try not to think of myself as a newbie. I may not have my own firearm yet, but my parents have shotguns, a s&w .357 rev. And over the past 4 - 5 years i shot multiple handguns, AR's and shotguns. I know about safety on guns and I actually like glocks safety feature. Im really more than likley going to go to a couple dealers and the gunshow next month before i decide.

Top Bottom