• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    See, I mean no disrespect to those that have chosen or continue to choose to do this, but why in the hell are people just sinking these things?? I mean, would you just shoot a deer walking by and just leave it? I have never heard of a single snapper biting someone while they were fishing or swiming in a pond or creek. Now, the ones that I have read or heard of being biten have messed with the turtle and didn't have an idea about what they are doing. These things have been around for a long long time and don't mess with people unless messed with. When you see them out of the water this time of year, they are usually traveling to new habitats or going to lay their eggs. I vote NO to shooting them, just isn't right and it's good meat going to waste. Ok, rant over.

i agree. its a waste, but i also see the point of a pond owner who spends thousand of dollars to stock it. I know a lot of people dont trust others coming on their property but there are plenty of guys who will do it respectfully and be grateful at the chance to get some turtle meat and do you pond owners a favor at the same time.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    E5, next time one gets snagged out of my parents pond you can have it. I'm always called upon to dispatch it. I used to kill them and chuck them in the creek to rot and be eaten by other critters, more recently Ill throw them in a box and chuck'em in another pond miles away or in the river.

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    I love these things, but coming from a long line of hillbillies I will share my turtle wisdom with you all.....

The trick to catching one on land or in water is one thing, and one thing only. Be fast as a mother****er, go for the tail, grab it without hesitation and hold on. Get him off the ground and point him away, they have a hell of a neck on them.

Second, this is what happens after you catch it. If one so desires, you can eat it. Cambells when it first opened made only a handful of soups, and turtle was one of them is what I heard on history channel. Ive had it, its different but certainly not bad if you are into wild game.

But cleaning them is tough, unless you know this....

Cut the head off (kill it first or he will win this fight) or use a hatchet, this is cool for a reason Ill state later. Take a garden hose and band clamp it to the neck opening. Turn on hose. Watch. This seperates the meat and shell and skin. Then cleaning is no problem. Dont worry about the hose, it takes a minute but its very clear when the job is done, trust me.

The thing about a big turtle, they can be really old. And they are tough, if you cut his head off, it will seriously still bit you for an hour or so. Remove his heart and it will beat for maybe 2 hrs. Put a little table salt on it and it will flutter like mad. When we were kids this was a hoot. And look at me Im fine now, Im on Ingo at 2 am talking about killing turtles......

Good luck, just be quick and move before he thinks or it will do you no good. Dont try to outdo him, just come in from the side or behind and bam, grabb his tail and you own it.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    This thread brings back awesome memories. My Grandma drove an International scout, and at times we would be driving down the road and she would slam on the brakes hop out of the truck and haul butt down over a bank. She would come back hauling a turtle by the tal and throw it in the back of the truck. Some of those turtles would not fit in a 55 gal drum. Grandpa would do the cleaning and on ocassion would chase us around the yard with the head on a stick. Its a wonder we kids are not scarred for life lol.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    An old Ford, a warm day and a pond and that dude in the video is as happy as a human being can get. Throw in a couple of turtles and he's ecstatic.

Wow is all there is to say. :-)

-Drew

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I actually came across a big snapper this evening crossing the road while I was out for a walk. He/she couldn't have been covered with a 5 gallon bucket. Marley Dog must have had a run in with them before because she acted like she knew what could happen and wanted no part to do with that head.

I had my 357 out, cocked and pointed right at that turtle head out there hissing and put it away and let everyone go on about their business. Probably will cost me a few fish but what the hey, ya can't kill 'em all in the creek any way. God put 'em here for some reason and I sure ain't gonna eat it.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have quart of turtle soup in my freezer right now. Turtle soup is kind of a religous thing in southern indiana. Pun intended. Every summer there are three social picnics in spencer county that serve "mock" turtle soup. So anyway the Fulda church in Fulda Indiana has their pinic where they serve turtle soup, Knights of columbus in St. Meinrad at their picnic, and then there is the Mariah Hill Church picnic. All happen with in a 1 month time frame around mid july to early august. Each has a slightly different taste so you can taste the different reciepes. I grab them behind the shell near the head and at the back. They can't swing their head around and get you when you do that. I actually caught one this past christmas eve in the pond at my parents house. People look at me funny when I tell them that I eat snapping turtles. Never really thought about it being "gross". I pick one up when ever I see them.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    They are an "endangered" species................in my pond!

Just busted this nasty little bugger this evening.

Wait for him to stick his head above the water, grab your 22 Magnum, I shoot from my tree stand at the waters edge about 25 feet up, so I have a good angle, and don't have to worry about a bullet skipping off the water.

After I dispatch them, I just grab a lure with treble hook and practice my casting, throw over him, hook him and drag him in. Simple.

"IF" this one was still able to stick his neck out :rolleyes: he would be about 24 inches from tip of the tail to the tip of his nose, or where the tip of his nose used to be.
    He's a small one. But he is a dead one!

Hit your mark, ya got no no worries about a water ricochet. :dunno:

Head shot, yum yum, turtle!

dsc1107o.jpg

dsc1101w.jpg

dsc1103d.jpg

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I have even skinned them within hours of getting them. I just soak them in salt water for a day. Never noticed much difference between that and putting them in a 55 gal drum for a week.

Papper2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Good luck--I wanted to try the meat of those big old snappers-- so when the chance came to get one-- I did-- Stinkinest cleaning I ever tried :) Fries a small amount of meat-- was ok-- but --not sure it was worth it-- considering I wasnt starving--

Top Bottom