• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I would take some sort of training. Make sure you document some how. Say send it to your self certified mail. And then put it away if you are ever involvled in a shooting then you have or can show you have had some training. Has far a hold up or armed robbery goes. I would shoot to stop the threat. If that mean taking a life to do so I would but I make sure of my shot and I would watch where the bullet goes. Meaning would I hit some else and posible kill or hurt them. I think I would shot for a arm or leg hoping I would knock them down. Wounding them enough to stop the threat and remove the gun and have myself call police or have some else do that. Remember there is always civil court and you be responsable for shooting that would be robber. But If I had do it that that's what I would do. But most important take a class of some sort.
    Sorry that's just my two cents.

Shooting someone "in the leg" is risky, legally. It could be used to show that you weren't really in fear for your life or SBI. If that's the case attempting to kill someone (& that's what shooting at someone is, even if it's in the arm) is illegal.

Read the IC & understand it. You have to reasonably believe that you or a third party is in danger of facing death/severe bodily injury or you're stopping a forcible felony (fortunately armed robbery is a FF) before you can use deadly force on someone in self-defense.

I'm not saying you will be charged but why take the risk if you don't need to while still getting the job done in the first place. The BG made the decision to put his life on the line when he decided to threaten someone elses life in pursuit of monetary gain.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I would take some sort of training. Make sure you document some how. Say send it to your self certified mail. And then put it away if you are ever involvled in a shooting then you have or can show you have had some training. Has far a hold up or armed robbery goes. I would shoot to stop the threat. If that mean taking a life to do so I would but I make sure of my shot and I would watch where the bullet goes. Meaning would I hit some else and posible kill or hurt them. I think I would shot for a arm or leg hoping I would knock them down. Wounding them enough to stop the threat and remove the gun and have myself call police or have some else do that. Remember there is always civil court and you be responsable for shooting that would be robber. But If I had do it that that's what I would do. But most important take a class of some sort.

If you aren't prepared to kill someone with one shot don't shoot them. Shooting someone in the leg or arm, even if you are good enough to hit them, does not eliminate the threat. They are still standing there, gun pointed at someone else, except now they are bleeding and pissed. If you miss they are just pissed.

Leg shots are totally Hollywood. YMMV.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    If you aren't prepared to kill someone with one shot don't shoot them. Shooting someone in the leg or arm, even if you are good enough to hit them, does not eliminate the threat. They are still standing there, gun pointed at someone else, except now they are bleeding and pissed. If you miss they are just pissed.

Leg shots are totally Hollywood. YMMV.

I agree completely. If you are going to shoot someone DO NOT aim for the legs.

Unless you have to shoot the hostage (name that movie).

But seriously, dont shoot the legs.

indy77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I agree completely. If you are going to shoot someone DO NOT aim for the legs.

Unless you have to shoot the hostage (name that movie).

But seriously, dont shoot the legs.

Don't worry I would definetly shoot to put down the threat permanetly. Your right, a leg shot would just **** them off.

I saw that movie also, but I can't remember the name of it either.

Last edited:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Don't worry I would definetly shoot to put down the threat permanetly. Your right, a leg shot would just **** them off.

I saw that movie also, but I can't remember the name of it either.

I know what movie it is. But does anyone else?

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    In either case your decision will be life altering for everyone involved.
    Amen. Having recently been involved in something similar, you better believe the above quote.

My opinion... Hide, Draw, and be a witness.
    If he points gun at you - shoot him.
    If he shows any intention to harm anyone else - shoot him.

Last thing - you still need to follow the 4 rules, especially the know your target and backdrop one.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County

I'm sorry, everyone only read the part about the leg or arm. i said earlier 'If that mean taking a life to do so I would but I make sure of my shot and I would watch where the bullet goes. Meaning would I hit some else and posible kill or hurt them'.
    :cool:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    When the time comes your gut will tell you what to do. Most will freeze up. Pull your gun and find cover, have it at the low ready, the rest will happen before you even know that it happened.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    First you have to be able to prove that deadly force was needed with no doubt.

Then if you say drop it what if the person shoots the cashier then turns on you and you shoot the theif..... It could be argued that if you did not say anything that the cahsier would have not been shot.

Chances are the average person would not be able to move quietly enough to get in a good firing position to avoid over penetration hitting the cashier or someone else. Chances are with the adrenaline pumping you will miss. Chances are you will not look to see if there is someone acting supsicous that is an acomplice that will then shoot you.

We all know that 9 times out of 10 the people that get shot are the ones that fight back and don't just hand over the money. If the theif say's "your dead" to anyone then that is a game change.

I have allways felt that anyone that carries hsould take some good HIGH STRESS offesnive and defensive shooting classes.

I have had at least two situations in my life when I had to react, at least one at the time we though a life was at risk (lifeline was inbound) and I reacted agresivley but camly.... you have no idea on how adrenaline affects you untill it happens...... classes help but you will never know till it happens.

The PROFET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Dawsonville Ga.
    what to do

I personaly would PRAY first ( I try to stay prayed up--saves time) then take account of where everyone is,make sure my family is safe then shoot ( all in one second) !! In israel your either PART of the problem or PART of the answer, if you see a robery and don't do anything to stop it, you are prosecuted as an accomplice. The PROFET

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    First you have to be able to prove that deadly force was needed with no doubt.

No. You just have to show that you thought that deadly force was reasonable. In a robbery all of the requirements are met for using deadly force. Read the law.

Then if you say drop it what if the person shoots the cashier then turns on you and you shoot the theif..... It could be argued that if you did not say anything that the cahsier would have not been shot.

Then don't say drop it. There's no requirement to do so. Just shoot.

We all know that 9 times out of 10 the people that get shot are the ones that fight back and don't just hand over the money.

There's an econ professor (I can't remember his name & don't have time to look it up - Kleck I think) that has done research & found exactly the opposite. You need to read some of his work. You are at less risk of injury if you fight back.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If you have made the decision not to be a victim, then the "rest" may be easier.

First, if the bad guy is pointing a firearm at someone and demanding money from the till, we can reasonably conclude that for the purposes of Indiana Law, specifically the Robbery statute, that a robbery is taking place.

Second, if the bad guy manifesting some sort of behavior(s) that indicate that he will fire, then he can be taken under fire under the premise that you are protecting a third party, namely the clerk. Also, letting the bad guy fire first may cause you or the clerk to be injured, possibly seriously or fatally. I do not believe that a private citizen (or a police officer for that matter) need to announce to a bad guy that they are going to fire.

Third, if the decision to fire is made, then fire accurately and swiftly and put the bad guy down. When the bad guy ceases to be a further threat should one cease fire.

Fourth, practice, practice, practice, and if you can, avail yourself of some formal training.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    There is a philosophical question in play here. On one side, is the position: you're a member of society, stand up and do your part to protect the innocent.

The counter-arguement is: you got a LTCH to protect your safety not to save the world. Proponents of the second arguement would say you are not the jr. police with an obligation to serve and protect. An unrelated 3rd party you elect to protect had the same opportunity (depending on age) you did to get a LTCH and apparently chose not to. Your only obligation is to get yourself home safely at night.

It's an interesting quandry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like to think through hypothetical "what if" situations just as much as the next person and believe it's a worthwhile exercise. Such scenarios provide a useful context in which to explain/think about the judicious use of force.

Relative to this, here's a link to some commentary on the "Dangers of Intervention" I like to share from time to time:

Commentary by Evan Marshall

Top Bottom