• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    4421757390_a8e23c2358.jpg

I love the Tommy Lee Jones pic. It's a perfect response for that point too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This runs exactly opposite to my tendency. If I am armed and I am reading the scenario correctly, I am compelled with no second thought or reservation to advance, not retreat.

How do you do unless you were able to watch the entire scenario play out in front of you? In the OP, you see only the aftermath. Dead guy could have been the perp dying at the hands of an LTCH holder defending himself OR he could have been the vic dying at the hands of the perp. OR they could both be d-bags and the ol' "no honor among thieves" rears its ugly head.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I would just walk out there and say 'excuse me sir...are you a bad guy or a good guy? The reason i ask is because i have a gun and I am trying to determine if i should shoot you or not."

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I would find a dark corner to hide in, with gun drawn, and call the cops. I have not got paid to stop a bullet since I left the Marine Corps.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I love the Tommy Lee Jones pic. It's a perfect response for that point too.

I aim to please.:):

How do you do unless you were able to watch the entire scenario play out in front of you? In the OP, you see only the aftermath. Dead guy could have been the perp dying at the hands of an LTCH holder defending himself OR he could have been the vic dying at the hands of the perp. OR they could both be d-bags and the ol' "no honor among thieves" rears its ugly head.

Exactly.

The whole situation (the OP's scenario) seems pretty cut and dry to me.

If me and/or mine (+ any other scared sheep) are safe and I don't know what just happened, we are going to continue to be safe while someone calls the police. I don't get paid to catch bad guys, so I'll leave that responsibility to those that do.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Stay where you are at and call the police. You don't know if it was the GG or BG who did the shooting. If someone comes into the room where you are at, you defend yourself if needed. Personally, I would have my gun drawn already. No need to insert yourself into such a situation unless it is absolutely necessary.
    This sums it up don't go too a problem. Just train and be prepared if a problem comes to you.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would peer in the hallway, wave a polite hello to Andrew Jackson, thank him for inventing the 20 dollar bill, and happily return to work in my suddenly much more regular job than I had before the hypothetical.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    SO based on some of the statements I have read here, the Virginia Tech killer would have been allowed to go on his rampage even if others were allowed to carry guns there.

From the original scenario as presented, there is a distinction between an active shooter and an inactive shooter.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    SO based on some of the statements I have read here, the Virginia Tech killer would have been allowed to go on his rampage even if others were allowed to carry guns there.

From the original scenario as presented, there is a distinction between an active shooter and an inactive shooter.

THIS^^^^^

Given the original scenario, all you see is the aftermath. The shooting is over, and there was no clear indication that anyone was continuing the shooting. The main dilemma in this situation is that there is no way to know what the circumstances were behind the shooting.

Was the man attacked and he defended himself?
    Was it 2 criminals who got into an argument?
    Was a man attacked and the attacker won?

You just don't know. In that situation, let the police be the ones to investigate the shooting. I will stay where I am safe, and be prepared to defend myself if necessary.

In a scenario like VT shooting (which is completely different that what was presented here), I may do things differently. In that case it would be easy to determine who the bad guy was. It's the guy who is shooting people. I would determine the risk, and whether I could safely engage the shooter. IF I can stop him, I will, but I will not place myself at unreasonable risk to do so.

In a shooting, I protect myself and my family first. That is my number 1 priority. I will be more than happy to protect a third party as well, just as long as it doesn't violate my first priority.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This "rampage" consisted of 3 people total. Shooter, dead guy, and you. No one left to defend but yourself.

Ask what we would do when a shooter bursts into a full conference room, and you may get a different answer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This has got me thinking about different scenarios. Let's say you're at work in a department meeting, you hear gun shots, and some stranger with a gun bursts into your full conference room. What do you do? (Why do I always think of Keanu Reeves in Speed when I hear that phrase. Ew. Somebody get the mental image out of my head.)

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Stay where you are at and call the police. You don't know if it was the GG or BG who did the shooting. If someone comes into the room where you are at, you defend yourself if needed. Personally, I would have my gun drawn already. No need to insert yourself into such a situation unless it is absolutely necessary.

+2 for this one!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    This has got me thinking about different scenarios. Let's say you're at work in a department meeting, you hear gun shots, and some stranger with a gun bursts into your full conference room. What do you do? (Why do I always think of Keanu Reeves in Speed when I hear that phrase. Ew. Somebody get the mental image out of my head.)

Well if seeing a real image helps to get the mental image out of your head, I'd be glad to help.

:D

speed-keanu-bullock.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Shoot the hostage.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for the help. My original post is well answered I think. If you guys want to keep modifying situations to talk about, im all ears. Regardless, thanks!

Top Bottom