What to do with an old rusted/pitted Colt Python.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm looking to trade for a Colt Python. It has very bad rusted and has some pitting. I would like to know what I can do with this. I know Colt can reblue the gun, but could this be beyond what they can do? Any one have a gun done by Colt and what did you think?
    My next question is, Is this worth 550 dollars. That's what I will have in it as it sits. It looks like it hasn't been shot very much at all. I'm thinking someone let it sit in a basement for a very long time and just didn't shoot it. The bore is excellent and the cylinder walls are great. It locks up tight and the timing seems good. It has a very nice trigger in both single and double action. It would be a very nice shooter even if it can't be put back to it's original glory.

Even if I have it restored. It still will be a shooter, so I don't need it 100 percent, but I don't want to spend the more to restore it and it look like crap either.

This is my dream revolver. I've wanted one of this ever since I was 8 years old and had one a BB gun replica of one.

Sorry that the pictures are not the best.

100_1869_zps4309f595.jpg

100_1871_zps5dc5c1d5.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    What a sin. I wouldn't give you $550 for it myself but there may be some out there who would. The really sad part is that the finish is the most admirable thing about those old Colts, and that one is sadly gone.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If its still operational, then the pitting is just currently cosmetic. You could have the rust chemically removed, and then have the gun either re-blued, polished, or bead blasted.

Call around and see how much it'll cost. I'm betting it will be worth your money.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Contact CCR refinishing in TN. They did a S&W .38 for me that was in worse shape than yours years ago and it still has no rust today.

Cummings Custom Refinishing

I have to have Colt do it. IMO this will help to retain more of the value if the factory does it.

Did they fill in the pits? It does have a couple of spots that are into the metal and there is an edge that's a little "soft" rest of the edges are clean and straight though.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    It's sad to see a classic wheel gun treated like this. It needs to be rescued and restored to as close to its former glory as it can.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    If its still operational, then the pitting is just currently cosmetic. You could have the rust chemically removed, and then have the gun either re-blued, polished, or bead blasted.

Call around and see how much it'll cost. I'm betting it will be worth your money.

Colt gave a quote of 350 dollars for the royal blue and to redo the letters. I'm just worried about the pitting since it looks like it's going to have to be filled in.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have to have Colt do it. IMO this will help to retain more of the value if the factory does it.

There is no restoring the value. A gun without the factory finish is worth, at best, 1/3 of the 100% price, and refinishing it cannot increase its value, but it can decrease it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. A this point, you're just putting money into it to make it look nice for yourself. It's not worth much to a collector. But who cares. It'll still be a great shooter (and nice looking if you have it restored).

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Did they fill in the pits? It does have a couple of spots that are into the metal and there is an edge that's a little "soft" rest of the edges are clean and straight though.

Bluing is not CCR's forte. They did mine, filled in the pitting and finshed it in a ceramic black. The finish is smooth and flawless. If you want your pistol as close to original as possible then Colt is the way to go.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Bead blast then blue or parkerize it and shoot it. Use this one as a shooter and save the $$ to look for a collector grade later.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    bullet;3752253............ This is my dream revolver. I've wanted one of this ever since I was 8 years old and had one a BB gun replica of one. .......[/QUOTE said:
    There you go. If it's worth it to you to restore, it's worth it.

Restore it for yourself and don't worry about the value.
    Labor of love.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Take teh grips off and coat it in G96 or some other gun oil and use 0000 steel wool on it to get the rust off. Use gun scrubber to get the residue off and do it again. repeat 2-3 times.

As stated above, this gun has ZERO value to a collector. At this point your doing all this work to have an affordable shooter for yourself. If you dump any more money into it than the $550 you might as well save up and buy a good Python. The pedigree on this one is gone! Enjoy it and do it yourself. :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    There you go. If it's worth it to you to restore, it's worth it.

Restore it for yourself and don't worry about the value.
    Labor of love.

^^^^^
    This is sound advice.

It all depends on what it means to you. Is it something you want to preserve and hand down in the family? If you restore it then it really becomes your gun. But hey if you just want a shooter and that is all the gun means to you just get the rust off and bang away with it.

Top Bottom