What to do with bad brass/spent primers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Relatively new reloader, but I'm getting quite a pile of spent primers and a handful of unusable brass. Is there anything I can do with these besides pitch them? Can they be recycled or anything?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I throw them in coffee cans and when I get a few full, I give them to a friend that collects aluminum cans. I don't know how much he gets for them as scrap, but he always seems to be happy to take it.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Or in my case the club I belong to has a brass receptacle and mine go there. The club gets the proceeds for recycling. Spent primers go in the trash.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I took in about one third of a five gallon bucket of brass last week of spent primers and got $30 out of it. I had another batch of brass and the total was $71 bucks for trash. I was thrilled.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I even save all the .22 R.F. brass that I can. I set abox on the bench and eject the empties out of revolvers into it.
    I scrounge brass everywhere I go. If it's not usable or a caliber I don't have it goes in the scrap box

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone know what to do with damaged brass tha thas been primed? I bought a bunch of loose 223 ammo and some of it is damaged to the point i don't want to run it in my gun. thoughts?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Anyone know what to do with damaged brass tha thas been primed? I bought a bunch of loose 223 ammo and some of it is damaged to the point i don't want to run it in my gun. thoughts?

Stick the brass in the gun to set off the primer, or set them standing up on a hotplate outside until the primer detonates, then throw them in the scrap bucket. Neither water nor oil will deactivate the primers, though lots of folks still believe this.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think a 5 gallon bucket will hold 40 lbs of brass. Last time I took the bucket to the recycler, I got like $80 for it.

They don't care if the primers are live or not.

Last edited:

Maddawg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Lexington,IN
    depending on the primer itseld...but brass and brass primers go in the same bin....scrap yard here pays 2.50 a pound for brass....helps make some extra money for bullets and powder and primers LOL

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    one 5 gallon bucket will get you around 100$ at the scrap metal yard. Dad even picks up .22's. ez money :)

Top Bottom