• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    So, moved a few months ago to a couple of acres in a more rural area, outside of city limits and surrounded by woods and farmland. Heard coyotes a few times, but sounded a ways away and hadn't bothered about 'em yet.

Last night I heard 'em again, and they sounded a lot closer than before, so I jumped out of bed and took a look out the window, to find one standing outside the window on our property, not 50 yards from our bedroom window. He took off - I wasn't wasn't wearing pants at the time, so I wasn't chomping at the bit to go after him. I also didn't think I'd be able to get a safe angle on him where he was standing - best to leave it alone.

If these things decide to make a habit of coming on the property, and I can get a safe shot at them, I'll take it. Last thing I want is desperate coyotes coming right up to my back door when it starts getting cold. My question is this - what to do with the carcass afterwards? My Grandpa taught me to hunt, and always told me that you don't kill an animal without using it, and all I've hunted in the past are deer. I figured it would be a good opportunity to practice tanning, but what about the rest of the carcass? I don't want to just leave it lay, for fear it will just attract more coyotes. I guess I could bury it, but I don't want my property to become a coyote graveyard over the next few years.

Coyote hunters - what do you do with the carcass? :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FvWib.jpg

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Coyotes will eat their own so you could use it as bait to hit the others. Of course, that creates more carcasses to deal with. Skinning them out and using the pelt for tanning practice is a good call. You could butcher it, grind up the meat and feed it to chickens if you have them. You could try feeding it to your dog as dog food.

Or, skin it and practice your tanning which means you got some use out of it. If you don't want a graveyard, funeral pyre will do fine.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Coyotes will eat their own so you could use it as bait to hit the others. Of course, that creates more carcasses to deal with. Skinning them out and using the pelt for tanning practice is a good call. You could butcher it, grind up the meat and feed it to chickens if you have them. You could try feeding it to your dog as dog food.

Or, skin it and practice your tanning which means you got some use out of it. If you don't want a graveyard, funeral pyre will do fine.

Won't have chickens until next year, and I'm sure my fiance won't let me feed it to the dog. That 3 year old boxer is her baby - spoiled as anything, but very protective of the lady. Which is a good thing in my book.

Any experience on how bad the pyre would smell?:puke:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Is there a corner of your property that doesn't border on any neighbor's homes? If you can get it far away so that nobody has to deal with the smell, the flies and vultures will take it down to bones in 2-5 days, depending on the weather.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If you have or know someone who has an outdoor wood boiler it will burn him to ashes overnight. Don't ask how I know.

Come to think of it I haven't seen my ex-wife lately......

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The one I shot last year during bow season laid about 50 yards from my stand for a good 2 months before anything touched it at all. I don't know if the other animals were scared of it or what.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Coyotes will eat their own so you could use it as bait to hit the others.

This is what I do... of course, I shoot coyotes in silence from my bedroom window. So as far as they know one of their friends just dropped dead from natural causes... and he looks a bit tasty... carcass is normally gone within 2 day. If you are actively hunting them and they are "on to you" I'm not sure they will come back to eat the carcass. They are very smart creatures...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    If you kill it in the legal fur taking season you could sell the carcass in the round to a licensed fur buyer.

After I skin mine I just throw the carcass in the garbage can and let the truck haul it away.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Won't have chickens until next year, and I'm sure my fiance won't let me feed it to the dog. That 3 year old boxer is her baby - spoiled as anything, but very protective of the lady. Which is a good thing in my book.

Any experience on how bad the pyre would smell?:puke:

I can't say my friend. I've never cremated a yote but I can't imagine it would smell bad after it's fur coat was removed. Heck, the smell might make ya hungry :laugh:

I did do a pyre for an opossum one night and didn't notice any pungent smell for what that's worth. It was fur and all.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Usually get some during deer season, they come to those doe can calls. Out here carrion of any type doesn't last long.:)

Top Bottom