• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    My wife and I adopted a dog about two months ago. He's 3 years old, and was heartworm positive. He had been in the shelter for some time, due to the special needs that come with the heartworm condition and its treatment. Anyway, he's been essentially locked up since we got him, as he recovers from the treatment per the vet's orders.

We're going to a wedding out of state later this summer and plan to make a trip of it (about a week). So I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my dog. He will no longer be heartworm positive. However, he is aggressive toward unfamiliar men at our house. He doesn't seem to like my father-in-law either, and he's the one that I would normally ask to let him out, feed him, etc while we're gone. We also don't know how he is with other dogs, because he hasn't been allowed to come into contact with them. Those are basically my concerns with boarding him.

Do any of you in the Hendricks Co/Indy area have recommendations for a good kennel that can deal with a "special needs" dog? Other recommendations? We are considering taking him along, but we want to know what the options are before we make a decision.

Thanks in advance for the help.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We have some great people that we highly recommend that do doggy-sitting. If interested pm me and I'll provide contact info. This is a business not some friends of friends of friends deal.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Does your vet board dogs? Might be your best bet if they do since they will be familiar with him, his condition and disposition. Your dog may also be familiar with the people there as well. It might be a little more per day but you have to weigh things out. Avon Vet Clinic on 36 just east of 267 boards dogs if you can't find anyone else.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I also think boarding him might be the right answer. Preferably at your vet if they offer those services, but if they don't, several others are available.

I used to work in the kennel of a vet during college. Socialization issues were par for the course. It won't be a problem, as long as you make the staff aware of the dog's history and personality quirks.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A friend of mine has "Happy tails" pet sitting. She comes over and takes care of your pet in your home. She doesn't stay there just checks in and feeds :)

Sally: 727 9343 in Hendricks county

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I'm not sure how terribly convenient it would be to get there, but Zionsville Country Kennel (they're just off the Zionsville exit on I think its I65 at that point) has always been great. My parents' old dog was an unsocialized nut of a dog. They put up with her initial hostility and she eventually actually enjoyed going there.

My old Border collie LOVED going there. The owners' daughter played with him the whole time and he loved the staff there.

The bigger dogs can have an indoor/outdoor run if you want. If the dog enjoys playing with other dogs, they can go out for group play times. If not, they just get attention from staff. The kennel is right next door to a vet's office so they'd be equipped to deal with a special needs dog.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    AllenM and Magolin:

Thank you very much! I will look into both those options.

We're still weighing out whether to take him or not, I'm just glad to know that there are good alternatives.

TRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Hendricks Co.
    We have left our dog with the vets office in Avon before, don't remember the price, i think like $20 a night/day but they were very good with her and wouldn't hesitate to have her stay there again.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Training!!!

Get your dog into an obediance class that also has a group option!

Find a GOOD trainer and start working with the dog as soon as you can. You need to get the agression problem fixed. get him in a class that will help socialize him with other dogs and humans.

It would be a big pluss if your trainer also ran a kennel. I was lucky enough to find a kennel with and awesome training program and it is realitively close to my house as well. I am not familiar with your area, but it sounds like others are and maybe someone can recommend a good trainer.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Training!!!

Get your dog into an obediance class that also has a group option!

On the to-do list, but with his treatment, we obviously would not have time to have full confidence before our trip.

I realize this will address the problem long-term, but not the immediate issue.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    On the to-do list, but with his treatment, we obviously would not have time to have full confidence before our trip.

I realize this will address the problem long-term, but not the immediate issue.

You can't start training with him now? You said the end of summer was your trip, you would be pretty impressed what a GOOD trainer can do with a dog in a short amount of time. You could at least start working on the aggression toward people issues, that way you could leave him with your FIL.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    My vote is still take the dog with you. My ex-wife and I have traveled the country with our dogs. Even short rides to the store is a treat for them. We always viewed our dogs as part of the family, so whenever we went somewhere within reason they went to. They stayed in hotels with us, and if anyone didn't dig it we would just go to the next one. Take a crate and when you can't be with the dog just crate it. It will be fine. Also somewhere in the past the dog has had a bad experience with a male, so thats why the aggression, which should not be tolerated in any degree. I have had much experience with dogs and dog training in the past, and would be happy to share with you.

Dave davedolli Dave= me Dolli= my 15 year old female Dalmatian now gone but not forgotten

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    650d0e45_romney-dog-roof-592x391.jpeg

Top Bottom