• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I did a quick search but did not find anything. I'm Sorry if this has been covered.
    Last night about midnight my one year old beagle woke me up to go out side for a bathroom break. I put my SW bodyguard .380 in my pocket, grabbed my LX2 and put his flexi on and headed out side. After he wonders around the yard for a minute he stops and starts staring and sniffing at something about 2 houses away. I don't think anything of it, as we have stray cats that roam the neighborhood. About that time 2 LARGE dogs come tearing into the yard Growling and charging (I assume at my dog, but we were about a foot apart so I am not sure). I started yelling and blinding them with my light, which was enough to drive them in another direction. I take my dog inside and move on with my evening.

As I was thinking about the situation, I realized I have no Idea what I would have done with the leash if I had to get my pistol out. The Flexi handle is too big to hold it and the light.

My dog is a rescue and think everything that moves is his friend. So if I had dropped the leash he would have run towards the dogs with tail wagging.

Does anybody have any suggestions as what to do with the leash. if I just drop it and try to step on it, I could miss. Also I would have to take my eyes off of the threat.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions

Thanks in advance zip

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My mom takes her dog for a walk in the woods all the time. I talked her into getyimg a gum I case somethimh wanted to eat her. She has a messed up arm so she only has one good arm. She had the same question as you. So I put a arbiner on the loop of the leash and told her to clip it to her nelt loop as she reached for her pistol. She has practiced.a few times and it seems to work

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Any option to switching to a standard leash with a hand loop?
    That way the leash could be put over your wrist where you can still hold on to the light and use your strong hand to retrieve your weapon if needed.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I try to keep the leash in the off-hand. Thankfully we have street lights and every house has a lamp post near the drive. But probably the best method is to carry a piece with the ability to mount a light underneath so you can hold the leash one-handed and work your gun and light with the other.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I try to keep the leash in the off-hand. Thankfully we have street lights and every house has a lamp post near the drive. But probably the best method is to carry a piece with the ability to mount a light underneath so you can hold the leash one-handed and work your gun and light with the other.

What if it was a person, and not dogs. Now you have just pointed your gun at a person. Which is against the law. What if it was just some guy walking down the street?

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Get a lanyard or paracord to wrap around your wrist and the leash. If you need to drop the handle, it will still be wrapped around your wrist and allow you to get ahold of it quickly after the matter.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    yarp

I always carry when not at work and when walking the dog I realized no matter what I was either going to have to drop the leash or muddle with my safety while trying to maintain control of my dog. After thinking this through myself I went and picked up a leash that has a clip on it that allows me to attach it to my belt, now I walk my dog hands free to do what needs to be done if it needs to be done. Your only real options are to drop the leash or change the leash if you have the foresight to do so.

(note: Due to stereotypes of the dog breed I own, Doberman, I was not keen to release my leash. He's as friendly as they come but humans are stupid and do stupid things that could result in him being injured or worse. Take into account if your dog has an odd temperment, is agressive or if people will assume it is aggressive based on its breed as this will help make an educated decision to protect you and your pet.)

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Regardless as to how well your dog is trained. Genetics and millions of years of evolution are going to kick in. The dog will fight for fly. Dropping the leash is not a good idea.

FI the dog runs away, it may spark the chase and kill switch in the other animal. or if the dog fights, now you have to be careful not to shoot your own dog if it gets into it.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I dont know about millions of years of evolution bit and the instincts will kick in.

Bottom line humans are a far cry from being civialized. We have successfully domesticated some animals. But at the end of the day. Your dog isnt much different than your neighbors pet racoon.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I dont know about millions of years of evolution bit and the instincts will kick in.

Bottom line humans are a far cry from being civialized. We have successfully domesticated some animals. But at the end of the day. we arent much different than your neighbors pet racoon.

FTFY

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    care to elaborate?
    If a trained dog does that it is not really a trained dog. The Female I just had die would have done exactly what you had asked her to do, and waited for your Command to either move against them, stand where she is, or to leave the area. If your dog can not ignore a distraction like 2 dogs you and I have a different definition of trained...

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Assuming a flexi is the hard plastic deal the runs a line out and retracts it, I think think a wrist loop would be that great as they could still pull the line out. I know they lock, but its something to consider.

Also....
    Flexi-Leash-Light.jpg

Did I just blow your mind? :)

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If a trained dog does that it is not really a trained dog. The Female I just had die would have done exactly what you had asked her to do, and waited for your Command to either move against them, stand where she is, or to leave the area. If your dog can not ignore a distraction like 2 dogs you and I have a different definition of trained...

If the 2 dogs were snarling or chewing on her, would she have stayed? this is what im referring to. If a creature is running down on a trained dog ready to attack I doubt the dog would listen to you.

My dog is a very mindful dog, he will listen to you and do as you say, however sometimes that squirrel in the yard just has to be chased up a tree.

perhaps we do have a different view on what we call a trained dog.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If the 2 dogs were snarling or chewing on her, would she have stayed? this is what im referring to. If a creature is running down on a trained dog ready to attack I doubt the dog would listen to you.
    If I had not have already dispatched the 2 snarling dogs already. Yes she would still be standing there. If I am injured by one of the dogs or endangered by them then yes she would have Protected us. Yes she would have listened everytime. She had done it in the past with 'yotes, and I see no reason why she would not have done it again...

My dog is a very mindful dog, he will listen to you and do as you say, however sometimes that squirrel in the yard just has to be chased up a tree.
    Do you think you dog could pass the Shutzhund Obedience?! My puppy is not yet there, but he will be soon. I have only been training him for 12 months. And in another 12 months he will be tasked with passing Shutzhund Protection...

perhaps we do have a different view on what we call a trained dog.
    I think we do... :):

Top Bottom