• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    I'm signed up for the put and take pheasant hunt at willow slough this year and I was wondering what to expect? I do not have a dog to hunt with but I heard that it isn't a problem.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If it is like TriCounty and Pigeon River there will be a crowd, you may need to get there pretty early to get a spot. You might try to talk to them now to get an idea how early. Up here on the weekend and Thanksgiving you had to be there by 6. After the first day or two there are some hold over birds so there is a better chance of getting something. I always had my pups so I can't help you on advice hunting dogless.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Is' been a long time ago.

Back when I used to do a lot of bird hunting. We used to go to Glendale for the annual put and take Pheasant hunt. We would go get registered wait for the safety meeting. Then go set at our parking spot drink coffee for at least 30 minutes after being turned loose to wait until the pheasant 500 was over with. You know the hunters kick their dogs out of the truck then go running across the field shoot 2 birds call their dogs back in and are out of the field in 15 minutes or less. Then we would get our dogs out and start hunting. But like I said it has been a long time and things have changed.:)

Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Internet

Well I'm fairly sure I don't have to get there early and worry about it filling up. At least I hope not. I already paid for it on the Internet and all I have to do is bring a copy of my confirmation email. I was more so wondering if it was possible to get birds if on foot with no dog. Thanks guys.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Things have changed. A lot of it will be luck. I used to run into guys without a dog that didn't have much luck and if they seemed like good guys, I would let them hunt over my dog (my female did not like that much but she got over it). There were other guys that really worked at it, kicked the bushes, walked through briers and swamps and got their birds.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Best way without a dog is to watch, for the first 1/2 hour of the hunt, is to watch for birds flying into your area from other sections. Other hunters will kick these up before they hug the cover and they'll not be exhausted yet. When they hold to cover, you're going to have to walk, watch for runners and kick the brush. I bet you get your 2 birds. You might even find a guy who'll share his pup if you share your section, but don't count on this. Birders are usually very patricular who hunts over their dog.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    You can schedule your start point online at DNR website for the property you wish to hunt. A dog will always help but a savvy hunter will figure out the pen raised birds if no dog is available?

Top Bottom