• ...and so much more!
  • What to give her?

• Total voters

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I would get a .22 rifle. It would probably be the most used, and the most immediately enjoyable.

Also, you could present it as a complete gift, whereas the LTCH idea could only first be presented as an idea that would require follow-up.

Plus, everyone needs a .22 rifle!

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I voted for Lifetime LTCH. Though a Model 60 would be good too. I love shooting mine. Maybe pay for one & help with the other? Graduation is a very big deal nowadays. Get the Model 60 now and save up for the Lifetime LTCH.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I voted LTCH, but let me clarify. You should take her shooting, and give her a graduation card. Something funny, something serious, whatever you feel best fits your personality, and your relationship with her. At that point tell her you have $150 for her. Suggest that she gets her LTCH, but be sure to offer that it is her money and she should do what she wants with it. You might also mention some of the other things you had in mind so she gets the point that you want her to chose something of shared interest.

Ultimately, the choice should be hers. When I graduated not to long ago, there was a lot of emphasis on what I should or should not do, what I could and could not spend money on, etc. It takes the fun out of event when you have people telling you what to do, graduating high school is a point of freedom, much like purchasing your first firearm or getting your LTCH. Oh, and that brings me to another point, if she is getting a gun, let her fill out the paperwork, let her handpick it. That is part of the fun.

Lastly, your concerns about the lifetime LTCH are fortunately not valid. The lifetime hunting license was created and later removed by the Indiana DNR. The lifetime LTCH is written in Indiana law, and can not be removed unless our legislators pass a bill doing so. If that were to happen, you would see it coming several months out, and you would have time to apply. It is also unlikely to happen in Indiana's immediate future.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Some things to consider

LTCH
    Is she going to college?
    Is she staying in state or a state that honors Indiana? ( Maybe look into utah if she is going to school in Ohio.)
    Would she likely not carry due to college rules that might jeopardize her college career?
    Would she really carry a gun? I have paid for a lifetime LTCH only to have the person not carry a gun even tho she likes to shoot( Its more about spending time and bonding with some one.)
    Would someone loan her handgun to carry until she gets her own?

Definite pros about LTCH:
    If you get her the LTCH, she does not have to wait the 1-6 weeks if she needed a gun NOW later. Such as that new guy from college she started dating turned out to be abusive and a psyco and she needs possible defense right NOW and not in the 1 week it takes to process the app via L1 or the 6 weeks it would take to do it the old way.

Handguns can defend inside and outside the home! I really don't see her carrying a long gun around. So a long gun would only provide protection in her home.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Might I also suggest no matter with what option you guy with, getting her the Indiana Firearms Reference Manual. Knowing the laws regarding weapon regulations and use of force is never a bad Idea

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    JoshuaW, I appreciate your input but I respectfully disagree with some of your statements. As a general rule I do not give cash or gift cards as presents. If someone wants cash they can get a job, I give gifts. Unfortunately, my niece's graduation is coinciding with an extremely tight financial situation for me, so there are not many guns that will fit into the budget. If I get her a gun it will either be a Marlin 795 or a Marlin 795, not much point in letting her hand pick it. I may let her choose between the LTCH and the rifle, but cash will not be one of the options.

Also, I am not sure that my concern over the lifetime LTCH is totally unfounded. Though it is written into current IN law, political landscapes can change with the blowing of the wind. It may not be an immediate threat, but what about 5-10 years from now? I also do not know what the future nature of our relationship may be. She's an adult and will be starting her own life and eventually family. I know that I am not as close to my uncles as I was at the age of 18. Who knows where life may take her and how close we may be when/if the law changes.

I sincerely appreciate the thought and effort you put into your response, I just disagree with some of it.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    My vote would be for the Marlin or the LTCH. With the Marlin winning in a slight edge. The Mosin might be a bit much to do a large volume of shooting, price and recoil wise.

I would get her a Marlin 60 if price will allow. I'm pretty nostalgic about the 60 given it was the rifle I learned to shoot with. Then maybe a birthday later a good little scope for it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would say the LTCH. It will be with her for a lifetime, assuming she plans to stay in Indiana, the longer she waits, the longer the chance that lifetime permits will go away, and most valid reason in my mind, its difficult for a person just getting started in life to part with that kind of money for a piece of paper. Eventually she may get around to it, but for me, eventually was almost 10 years down the road. It took a close call in an armed robbery that pushed me to make it a priority.
    A lifetime LTCH now would make it easier when she decides that she needs to take that step in life.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I'm going to go with the LTCH. It is something that she will have for the rest of her life. Also, she can't pawn it if times get rough. I'll see if she wants to go to an Appleseed so that we can have some fun together before she goes off into the her brave new world. She can always borrow one of my rifles or one of the Appleseed loaners.

Now I need to get some pics of that Mosin and get it in the classifieds. Thanks again for all of the great input!

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    i voted for the LTCH because its something she will need in the future and becomes a big purchase when you get to college and dont have money. However, the .22 rifle would be a great gift as well. Cant go wrong with either.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Time for an update!

First of all, thanks again for all of the great ideas! I still owe some rep from this thread and will try to get back to that. Anyhow, on with the UPDATE!!!

At my niece's graduation party I showed her several pictures on my phone to chose between: my Heritage 22 revolver, my Mosin 91/30, a lifetime LTCH, a Marlin 795, or a Marlin Model 60. To my surprise she chose the 795 (the one I was secretly hoping for!). The first thing she asked me was "Does it come in pink?!".

I went to my local MC Sports to grab her 795 when a couple other ideas came to my mind (ideas generated by some of your input!). I called her up and had her come meet me. I had a 10/22 and her 795 laying on the counter. I explained the benefits and drawbacks of each and told her that I would pay for the 795, if she wanted the 10/22 she would have to pay the difference, about $100. I figured it would allow her to take a little more ownership in the rifle if she had some skin in it.

She chose the 795. She seemed to prefer better accuracy over ultimate ability to customize (I'm sure the FREE part didn't hurt either). Then I reached behind the counter and pulled up a pink laminate 10/22. It was love at first site! This was the last one in stock and was at a clearance price of only $5 more than a regular 10/22. She was more than happy to pony up the extra $100 for her pink 10/22!

After we put it in layaway I handed her an Appleseed brochure that was sitting on the counter and told her to get ready! The September 'Seed in Bedford is the weekend after her birthday and we have our spots reserved. She finally came up with the rest of the money for her rifle and we got it out of layaway tonight.

That's one happy girl!
    imag0441st.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    When my nephew got married recently his new bride got a M1 Carbine and a 10/22 in a M1 Carbine conversion set up from my Dad and I. The M1 serves as her HD gun and the 10/22 allows cheap practice. She loves shooting both of them.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    I really tried to convince her to go with the lifetime LTCH. She said she would not have the money to buy a handgun for a long time, so it would just be a piece of paper, and the 22 gave her something she could shoot now.

I voted lifetime LTCH because I firmly believe that one of these days if you don`t have one,you`re not going to get one!:n00b:

Top Bottom