• ...and so much more!
  • obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Newb Here
    I am looking for some opinions, this will be my first handgun.

I have fired a few before, my first was a Desert Eagle 50AE and I'm a pretty big guy so I don't have fear of larger caliber or kick.

I am currently leaning towards the Walther PPQ .40 but have no bias as of yet.

So what are some things I should look for in a pistol?
    Is it better to learn with a revolver or something with a harder trigger pull?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Welcome to INGO!

I guess it kinda depends on what you're trying to get out of your experience. If you're learning to shoot, most folks will recommend a smaller caliber that doesn't kick as much to learn the fundamentals.

From there on out, it really depends on what you're looking to do. Typically, at least in my experience, the longer the trigger pull the harder a firearm is to shoot accurately. I'd be looking at a striker-fired handgun (Glock XD(m) M&P etc) and then decide what else is important to you..

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    See if you can rent some different handguns at a range and give them a try, especially if it's something you're thinking about buying.

Also, it's hard to go wrong with a Glock or M&P, just stick with a conventional caliber (9mm, .40, .45).

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've been looking into different local ranges to see what is available. Renting guns is a great idea.

I have been looking for a local shop that has the PPQ or P99, I would love to get my hands on one to try out. I have some glock buddies so I'm sure I will be firing a couple of them in the near future.

So far it looks like i'm looking for a pistol that will have drop safety, is striker fired, and has a short trigger reset.

Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Since its your first, you're going to be cleaning as much as your shooting so I would get something that is easy to clean as well as shoot. Glock is the simplest you can get and really the best bang for your buck.

Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    I'm not sure where you live but Applied Ballistics has a variety of models to choose from to rent, and fairly inexpensive also.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Since its your first, you're going to be cleaning as much as your shooting so I would get something that is easy to clean as well as shoot. Glock is the simplest you can get and really the best bang for your buck.

that is not something I had considered. Good call

Notyourdaddy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Try several in your hand and see which "feels" best. Then start choosing features that you like on each of the chosen ones.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are going to purchase a First pistol a ruger mark series 22 is a wonderful place to start. Economical, accurate, Not overly expensive, and you can shoot it more. That is what a first pistol is about. Over the years you will put far more rounds in the 22 than anything else you get. Also gives you time to get a good deal on a carry gun.

I got this one when placed in your shoes.but that was about 1986. I still have her.

DSC03077.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you are going to purchase a First pistol a ruger mark series 22 is a wonderful place to start. Economical, accurate, Not overly expensive, and you can shoot it more. That is what a first pistol is about. Over the years you will put far more rounds in the 22 than anything else you get. Also gives you time to get a good deal on a carry gun.

I got this one when placed in your shoes.but that was about 1986. I still have her.

DSC03077.jpg

I couldn't agree more.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I can see the advantage of learning on a 22. I had not previously concidered that but I will add the lower caliber guns to my ever growing list of things to pay attention to :)

I may have a line on a snubnose 357 mag.. I dont know anything about it yet, but it may be something. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of learning with a revolver?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    .357 can be a handful for a first timer. Get a friend to take you to the range and get you started. If you were closer we would do that for you.
    Do not start on any Magnum series gun. As posted get a .22 and learn your stance/grip/trigger disciplines and then go up caliber. Learn the 4 rules and live by them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

DSC03077.jpg

Sweet...................;)

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Get a glock, very simple to use, break down and clean. They are proven reliable and accurate. Plus spare parts and upgrade parts are readily available almost everywhere and at a descent price. Just my .02

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Pick up a glock and hold it and think about how tacticool it is and how commando it is... dream about running through COD shooting one handed.

Then pick up a CZ75 B and come back to reality. Cold steel is sexy and feels SOOO GOOD ;)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    On a serious note, it all really comes down to what you plan to do with it and what your budget is like. Do you want a gun that fills one specific purpose, or do you want something for multiple purposes?

List everything you want the gun you buy to do and roughly how much you want to spend... and how much you plan to shoot it etc....

That information would make it much easier to narrow down the selection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For instance, in my case I had no clue on what I wanted when I purchased my first pistol and I ended getting something that only met half of my needs. I bought a Ruger SR9c and I love it. Its my EDC... but what I found is that I wanted to shoot a lot of bullets 2-3 times a week, so I had to invest in a .22 (or go broke).

.40 cal is a great caliber... but if you think you might want to shoot a lot, consider getting something in 9mm or even .22 (provided its not for self defense).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom