• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Last thing I want this to turn into is a remington vs winchester thread however, I know what to know what I should look for in a home defense shot gun. Idk I want to get some thing basic and then add a new barrel and sling etc. Should i get something with a skeet length barrel and then jsut get a shorter barrel from home defense.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If it is going to be a primary HD gun, why mess around with buying a gun with a long barrel and then replacing it? Mossberg and Remington both have offerings with standard 18" barrels and extended magazines, either of which would be ideal HD guns. You can accessorize from there until your heart's content.

thayer14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Plymouth
    this is a good little bed side shot gun.
    12gashot.jpg
    Sorry for the small cell phone pic....

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Or if you want the least expensive HD shotgun out there try a Maverick 88, around $220 brand new

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Well I would like some thing 300 or less but I dont want to buy something that is crap

Mavericks aren't crap, basically they are Mossburg 500's assembled with some less expansive parts, use mossburg barrels and lots of aftermarket parts for mossburgs will work on them

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If u can get one with a light on the forend even better...and get a pump. Nobody argues with that sound!

Do you have any proof of BGs wetting themselves over the sound of a pump shotgun?

OP- I wouldn't limit myself with a slim budget. HD is not something I would take lightly.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If u can get one with a light on the forend even better...and get a pump. Nobody argues with that sound!
    That sound does nothing more than alert a potentially armed intruder of your position. Why would you pump a round to the floor just to frighten the BG with a sound anyways?

While MY personal choice is pump action, there are some VERY compact and inexpensive SxS models out there. Stoeger makes a nice inexpensive "coach gun" as an example...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Mossy 500, my roomate has the Remmy 870. Both 12ga. with 18.5" barrels. Either will get the job done. I also like the Maverick. I prefer a pump action in 12ga. for home defense. Plenty of good ones to choose from at good prices. Good luck with your decision.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone who thinks lowly of the Mossberg Maverick is really missing out, they are great, I have put 100 flawless rounds of Winchester bulk target ammo through the pipe on this puppy. 20 rounds of Berneke slugs, and 40 rounds of military grade buckshot. Anything that will fit a Mossberg 500 will fit on a Mossberg Maverick. If you want to pay $400+ get an 870 home defense or a 590 home defense. For those who want to save some money and get the same performance there is nothing wrong with the Maverick.

This is my baby.
    IMG_1111.jpg

And this is my baby, holding my baby. In closing chics did the Maverick

1130000044b.jpg

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    It depends what you plan to do with it. If it is just going under your bed, then buy a 18.5 inch barrel pump. 20 gauge or 12 isn't going to be a big deal, but you may find more options and accessories in 12.

IF you also plan to shoot clays or something, consider buying a regular field sized barrel and then buying a short home defense barrel. This is the setup I have. My Remington 870 spends 99% of its life under the bed but I switch the barrels and go out to shoot clays sometimes. It is super easy to switch them.

Pistol grip vs shoulder stock is up to you.

If you plan to put a magazine extension on it, increasing your capacity from ~5 to ~8 you should look for one with it already installed. I ran into some headaches with mine. It seemed really simple but there were those dang dimples I had to drill out. Now I've got two holes in my nice new shotgun.

The only disadvantage I can see from having a magazine extension on a double duty gun is waterfowl hunting. I don't know the laws very well, but there is a law somewhere (maybe not in IN, I don't know) that while waterfowl hunting you can only have a shotgun with a capacity of 3 shells or something along those lines.

As said I have the remington 870, but I wish I had given the Mossberg a fair shake. I've been told the only difference is that the 870 has an all steel receiver and the Mossberg 500 has some aluminum. Sounds great until fast forward and my 870 has a thin coat of rust all over it! Maybe the 500 wouldn't have :dunno:. I wish I had saved a few dollars there. Dang near any pump shotgun will be reliable, and if God forbid you are ever in a position to use it in defense of yourself or someone else noone will care what brand it is or how much you paid for it.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Also be sure to buy some buckshot to put in it. You are giving up alot of your advantage if you use that bulk pack bird shot. On the flip side, slugs will probably have too much penetration and risk hitting someone in addition to who you are aiming at.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Here was my response to another thread:

I picked up a used Mossberg 500 20 Ga pump (don't like the kick on a 12, getting too old for that crap, HA!) with pistol grip for $200 and added a barrel with a turkey choke. (new barrel cost, about $80?) Even though the new barrel is a bit longer, it holds a heck of a tight pattern at room distance, even with bird shot. I also have a full stock for it should I decide to use it for hunting. The old rifled barrel works well for deer should the need arise too.

Bought my wife a Mossberg 410 pump (full choke) because I didn't want her to have to take a chance on the gun jumping out of her hand in an anxious moment. It's loaded with those new rounds made for the Taurus Judge (Winchester Supreme Elite) has 3 ct 3X buck projectiles and about what? 20 or so buckshot behind them? Total cost $350 or so?

If you really don't like a big kick because your spouse or trained teen might need to use it, Bradis has a pretty cool Mossberg 410 tac with a pistol grip for $350 I think? Load it with the Winchester Supreme Elite rounds and you would be good to go.

Back all that up with the S&W 38 spec revolver that rests on the headboard of the bed and I think we're covered.

I'm no expert, but that's what we use.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    ANY scattergun will work, with two things: Practice and quality ammo. ANY shotgun, whether it be a singleshot all the way up to a Benelli M4. Heck, I can run a singleshot obscenely fast (ask the guys at Eagle Creek) and accurately, but I prefer an easier action, like a pump action. Some things for consideration though:
    1. Shorter barrel, easier handling in closer constructed homes.
    2. Visible sights (night sight, bright paint, flashlight duct taped to forearm, ANYTHING to improve visibility).

Practice and Practice more will ensure your survival, and practice with what you will actually have in the gun. Shooting birdshot and then stuffing it with buck for the home is a foolish venture.

Using birdshot is a foolish venture as well: While the pattern CAN be tight (and usually only with tight chokes), each individual pellet has VERY little energy due to their individual size. Pattern size does not indicate penetration! Actual real life shootings with birdshot show only a few inches of penetration in bad dudes and are completely defeated by any bone structure. Use a quality buckshot or a good slug. Foster slugs have shown in actual shootings to NOT overpenetrate and will actually fragment horribly in hallway ranges (lightly constructed, cheap slugs). I would probably shy away from Brenneke style slugs, they don't break up too easily! :D

Mossbergs, Mavericks, etc... they are all good guns, but practice with them! A shotgun doesn't mean anything if it will not run correctly! Grabbing it out of the box and deploying it without cleaning and shooting it will get you killed, period. I like Remmys and Winchesters, but the Mossbergs don't have a loading gate, makes loading a bit quicker. The Mossy/Mavericks are a bit lighter in my opinion, but that means little in recoil (but can help get round 1 off quicker). There are a ton of parts out there and lots of doo-dads, but get the ones that will help YOU (and leave the tacticrap off unless your situation needs it).

My Remington has a sidesaddle, extension and a rifled sight barrel as I would turn to it for any sort of militia duties. I need precision at longer ranges with rifled slugs, but quick handling for buckshot for home defense. But those are MY needs, not another's. Analyze your home, try a variety of guns, once you have a gun picked, try a VARIETY of ammo (not just Walmart's Winchester and Remington buckshot, try a WIDE variety and see what fits your gun and home needs) and PRACTICE it. I ask customers at Eagle Creek shooting a shotgun how far their longest indoor range is in their home. Then I ask them why they have their target at only half that range. :D

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Mavericks aren't crap, basically they are Mossburg 500's assembled with some less expansive parts, use mossburg barrels and lots of aftermarket parts for mossburgs will work on them

I did not mean to make it sound like Mavericks were crap. I should have said I want something that is around $300 but is still high quality

Can I ask why you are set on a shotgun?

I already have a XD9 in my night stand for home defensive shotgun was my next step, whats your suggestion?

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    It depends what you plan to do with it. If it is just going under your bed, then buy a 18.5 inch barrel pump. 20 gauge or 12 isn't going to be a big deal, but you may find more options and accessories in 12.

IF you also plan to shoot clays or something, consider buying a regular field sized barrel and then buying a short home defense barrel. This is the setup I have. My Remington 870 spends 99% of its life under the bed but I switch the barrels and go out to shoot clays sometimes. It is super easy to switch them.

Pistol grip vs shoulder stock is up to you.

If you plan to put a magazine extension on it, increasing your capacity from ~5 to ~8 you should look for one with it already installed. I ran into some headaches with mine. It seemed really simple but there were those dang dimples I had to drill out. Now I've got two holes in my nice new shotgun.

The only disadvantage I can see from having a magazine extension on a double duty gun is waterfowl hunting. I don't know the laws very well, but there is a law somewhere (maybe not in IN, I don't know) that while waterfowl hunting you can only have a shotgun with a capacity of 3 shells or something along those lines.

As said I have the remington 870, but I wish I had given the Mossberg a fair shake. I've been told the only difference is that the 870 has an all steel receiver and the Mossberg 500 has some aluminum. Sounds great until fast forward and my 870 has a thin coat of rust all over it! Maybe the 500 wouldn't have :dunno:. I wish I had saved a few dollars there. Dang near any pump shotgun will be reliable, and if God forbid you are ever in a position to use it in defense of yourself or someone else noone will care what brand it is or how much you paid for it.

Not to redirect my own thread but what is a good barrel length for shooting skeet and a little...very little hunting. Primary use would be HD and then skeet randomily with friends.

Top Bottom