• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    If I had to use a shotgun over my AR, any reputable 18" barrelled SG would do. Make sure the magazine is full. Also firber optic sights or such and a flashlight would be a huge plus. My first choice would be my trusty 870.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not to redirect my own thread but what is a good barrel length for shooting skeet and a little...very little hunting. Primary use would be HD and then skeet randomily with friends.

That is exactly what I wanted to do, and here she is:

870 HD + a 28" barrel and change of clothes for the field.

393890815.jpg

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Didn't realize id get hosed for that!....Guess you guys never heard the joke? What's the second scariest sound in the world? A gunshot...the first? Chink-chink(sound of a shotgun slide). But seriously in the event of a jam or misfire you just rack the slide to clear it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    But seriously in the event of a jam or misfire you just rack the slide to clear it.
    That too isn't entirely true. If the jam is a FTE due to a damaged extractor, when you rack the slide you'll just be jamming a second shell into the one that still sits in the chamber.....I once had the same thought as you and was enlightened by the kind members of THR. The things they told me, I have repeated here and they really do make sense. There was another valuable lesson I learned from them about safes that actually prevented a friend from losing ALL her valuables.......

kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    if you deer hunt your slug barrel would fill the bill. i like a pump gun simply because every one recalls the sound of that slide being racked. whatever you choose get familiar with its action.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Do you have a preference on how to hunt? To use sabot slugs, you would need a rifled barrel. If you are ok with using rifled slugs, you can use your home defense or your field barrel. I know very little about sabot vs rifled slugs besides that sabot are a little better.

I think the best thing for you would be to buy a home defense shotgun and a field barrel for clay shooting. Mossberg barrels are $163 directly from them, but you can also buy them at most sporting goods stores.

Mossberg 50577 500SP 12 20 CB 8SH SYN $304.00 SHIPS FREE

The above and a field barrel (about 28" or so) would do you well. You could do the opposite and buy a field shotgun and buy a home defense barrel, but then it likely wouldn't come with a magazine extension. Most magazine extension installs are fairly easy, but like I said I encountered a hiccup on mine. Kind of depends on how comftorable you are with your abilities to do simple work on your shotgun.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Gun Tests Mag. just did a review of the Harrington & Richardson Pardner NP12CB 12 gauge pump shotgun, retail $200, can be found on sale as low as $180 in sporting good stores. It received an A rating. They grade their tests from A+ down to an F. Its a basic copy of a Remington 870 design.

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    That sound does nothing more than alert a potentially armed intruder of your position. Why would you pump a round to the floor just to frighten the BG with a sound anyways?.

Agreed, but any intruder that is still advancing towards me after hearing that sound is after more than my television. Just something more for a police officer, judge and jury to think about.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    This is my dedicated HD/SHTF shotgun, granted it's a bit more tactical than practical but I have other shotguns that I hunt & shoot clays with.

Mossberg590.jpg

6skylark9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    my HD is a pistol grip mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel. it tucks away under the bed nicely and is very reliable.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I use a Winchester Defender with 18.5 barrel I bought used for a very good price. I've tried using a pistol grip, but prefer the factory stock. Cycles slugs, BS, and bird shot well.

That being said, I would recommend to steer away from the "older" platform. No performance/quality issues, but rather it's an older platform and accessories can be difficult to find at times (mag extensions for example). I'm committed to the 1200/1300 platform through some things I've obtained (low initial investment), and I've become accostumed to picking up good deals on used items and knowing where I can find things.

If I was starting out from scratch, I would go with many of the other brands previously mentioned - ample supply, lots of accessories, good history.

Good luck with what you do, practice, and enjoy.

My $0.02.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know what to know what I should look for in a home defense shot gun.

Handiness.

Keep the length and weight down.

You want a light.

You want a way of keeping ammo on the gun (side saddle or butt cuff).

I like a sling because it's all about the handiness, THEN its about the bling, bling.

If cost is a factor, I'd look at a single shot 20 gauge, then maybe one of those Stoeger double barrels, and then a slide-action (I like 870s).

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Anyone who thinks lowly of the Mossberg Maverick is really missing out, they are great, I have put 100 flawless rounds of Winchester bulk target ammo through the pipe on this puppy. 20 rounds of Berneke slugs, and 40 rounds of military grade buckshot. Anything that will fit a Mossberg 500 will fit on a Mossberg Maverick. If you want to pay $400+ get an 870 home defense or a 590 home defense. For those who want to save some money and get the same performance there is nothing wrong with the Maverick.

+1 To this, and very nice Maverick you've got there. :yesway:

Top Bottom