• KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    +1

The other thing I suspect you’ll find is that 556 really doesn’t impress suppressed. It looks really cool, but you can’t shoot subsonic in 556 that I’m aware of, so you’ll always have a sonic crack when you fire.

There are a bunch of manufacturers that make 5.56 subsonic ammunition and even 308 too. I bought some to run in bolt guns suppressed. No nasty ballistic crack!

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    There are a bunch of manufacturers that make 5.56 subsonic ammunition and even 308 too. I bought some to run in bolt guns suppressed. No nasty ballistic crack!

Agreed. Supersonic ammunition does not impress people unfamiliar with suppressors.

Back to subsonic 5.56mm, anyone can load up a case with (something like Trail Boss) but now you’re introducing variables such as bullet expansion at relatively slow speeds, not cycling in semi-auto, and exaggerated bullet drop compared to standard loads.

Frankly, if 60 grain subsonic in .22 caliber was a priority, I’d look long and hard and a Tactical Inc 10/22 barrel with a 1/9 twist and Aguila SSS. A $120 barrel with concentric threads and stable bullets would pay for itself in no time if that size and weight was your preferred load.

edit: spelling

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Don't get a 556 suppressor. Get a 30 caliber.

Agreed. My first is a 5.56 and I wish it was a .308.
    I recently bought a .300 AAC rifle. Now I really want a .308 can.

Long story short: I ended up writing to the BATFE got approved to change my approved but not built Form 1 to .308.
    What a hassle. Should have just submitted for .308 to begin with.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute

Here is the question though. Aside from being heavier, what else differs between a subsonic 223 and a subsonic 22lr ?

Top Bottom