• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    I've always wanted a m1 garand. But i dont know enough about them. What do i look for? Im looking for a decent condition shooter, doesn't have to be numbers matched or a war time one. Just want to make sure i know what im looking at to buy one. Any information and tips would be very much appreciated

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    On any military Surplus gun check the rifling. Many Garands have been rebarreled after they were made. The date on the barrel is under the forward hand guard on top. I am not sure if you can see it when the the bolt is locked open or not. Haven't payed attention altely.

My Garand is pitted really bad where the receiver is inside the wood. Outside the wood it looks pretty good. I would pull it apart and check the condition of all metal...not just what you can see.

Some Garands came in .308 after the war. These are probably outside your price range, just thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure others will be along to give you much more info than that little bit I gave you. Be sure you know what one is worth, don't get all wide eyed because its a Garand and pay too much. Don't do what I did. :)

CMP paperwork brings a premium. If they claim its a CMP refurb and it doesn't have the paperwork...don't believe them.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    I'm sure others will be along to give you much more info than that little bit I gave you. Be sure you know what one is worth, don't get all wide eyed because its a Garand and pay too much. Don't do what I did. :)

Exactly why i wanted advice lol i dont want to pay way too much

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I didn't realize CMP still appears to be selling below a 1000 bucks. If you have cash, put one on order. Indiana State Rifle and Pistol is a NRA affiliated club to get yourself hooked up with so you can order. Just order one and be done with it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Delivered to doorstep??

Yes, Sir. Under FAQ:

"The law that established the CMP exempted us from FFL requirements. We are not required to keep a 'book' or to ship only to another FFL. The law also specifies that we must have a completed 'successful' background check conducted for each sale. So - we cannot ship a rifle until we get a 'proceed' from the FBI. The three days after a 'delay' does not apply to us as it does to FFL licensed dealers. We can also ship direct to your home, where dealers cannot."

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yes, Sir. Under FAQ:

"The law that established the CMP exempted us from FFL requirements. We are not required to keep a 'book' or to ship only to another FFL. The law also specifies that we must have a completed 'successful' background check conducted for each sale. So - we cannot ship a rifle until we get a 'proceed' from the FBI. The three days after a 'delay' does not apply to us as it does to FFL licensed dealers. We can also ship direct to your home, where dealers cannot."

Thank you. I had no idea.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Are those good shape? Or is it the luck of the draw?

Based on grading criteria, you have a little control. But, yes there is still some luck of the draw. From the pictures I have seen lately, most of the Service Grade rifles are showing up with nice new walnut stocks. The CMP has a forum where folks post pictures and reports of the rifles they are getting.

I ordered a Field grade and a Service Grade last year. I got two really nice WWII era rifles with original barrels.

CMPSAsgfgJunOct1944-20141230-00RightFull_zps1e609743.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I recently bought one and the guy that sold it to me really helped me understand what drives price. Here's what I gathered/summarized from what all he told me:

Anybody that tells you all the numbers "match" is lying to you. The numbers don't match, they are correct. That means each part that is numbered is numbered with the drawing number, revision number, heat treat batch, etc. for the serial number of your receiver. That doesn't mean the parts are what came on the gun originally, just that they are the correct marks for your serial number.

The better the condition of the barrel is, it drives the price some -- up to a point. If you have to choose, you want a rifle with the least muzzle wear (as compared to throat erosion).

Rifles where the original cartouches are visible are more desirable.

If I think of some other tidbits, I'll update this post.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    +1 on the CMP. I bought my M1 and 1903 Springfield at the North Store (Port Clinton, OH). If you follow the Forums on the CMP site, people give store reports on what is available so you don't have to go until they are stocked. You won't find better pricing. The guys at the counter will help if you ask. They will break one down and tell you who made the individual parts and show you how to use the gauges for muzzle wear. When they have surplus ammo, you can't beat the price. Some of it comes in bandoleers and en-bloc clips ready to shoot. If you are not in a hurry, wait until the North Store re-stocks and take a drive. The rifles come with a case and certificate of authenticity. After they do your paperwork, I think you are good for three years to have additional rifles and ammo shipped to your door. If some others in the group can fact check me on the three years I'd feel better about it. I haven't ordered from them for awhile. Good luck.

P.S. This is by far my favorite rifle to shoot, and I have them all (Garand, Mauser, Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Swiss K31, 1903 Springfield, No French rifles but I've heard if you find one they are barely used.:):

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    You are correct on the 3 year retention. You do have to keep your eligible club membership current. I belong to the Garand Collectors Association. It satisfies the requirement and you get a great magazine four times a year.

The inventory reports from the North Store have been bad to worse over the last year. Recently even the South Store's inventory has been quite sparse. They are using all the rifles for filling mail orders instead of stocking the stores.

Rumor has it, they will be gone soon. I wouldn't sit on the fence too long.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    What is the better gun make? Springfield? Winchester? H&R or IH?
    The best depends on what you are looking for. In WWII production only Springfield and Winchester were produced. Springfield was government owned and Winchester was was not so; Winchester produced the rifles at the lowest possible price for profit. Of the WWII Garands I would guess the Springfields would be the best. The post war M1s Springfield, H&R, and International Harvester were produced with out the pressure of war time production and I believe they are the best and made with all of the updated improvements. Springfield made the original, H&Rs are very well made, and International Harvester manufactured the fewest and were manufactured in Indiana. In function there is very little difference in any of the manufactures. The Wichesters look a little rougher than the other manufactures but the have brand recognition if that is what you are looking for. The H&Rs are are very smoothly machined and finished. The IHs vary a little in appearance and sometimes have voids in the receivers that were not completely filled when forged. The IH Garands are the least commonly seen M1. I like my International Harvester Gap Letter (Springfield receiver produced for IH) for a less common Garand with a Indiana heritage. I have a few M1s and they are my favorite surplus rifles.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just putting this out there for those interested in buying a Garand, carbine or ammo etc... from the CMP. If you are active duty military or in the Reserves or National Guard or a police officer with a ID as proof of the afore mentioned. You do not need to belong to any other organization to qualify to buy guns or ammo from the CMP. These entities themselves are considered qualification. Been there done that. Just some FYI.

Top Bottom