• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've got a giftcard to Borders that's burning a hole in my pocket and I would like to do a little reading on either defensive handgun tactics or defensive mindset. My ideal book would be deep enough that I can keep it on my bookshelf and re-read it occasionally to refresh my memory without getting tired of it. What kinds of recommendations can INGO spit out?

:popcorn:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Didn't the Border's close in Btown?
    I'm currently "reading" Atlas Shrugged.

I'd throw my money at an ACT class or private session. Just my :twocents:.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    IDK but I'd love to see the answer to this one. Can you use the card online or only in a physical store?

I'll keep everyone posted, I promise! I can use it in either a physical store or online, but as bwframe pointed out, the Borders in Bloomington closed. So if I want to look through a book in person I'd have to check it out at another bookstore and then go buy it online from Borders.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Blink
    by Malcom Gladwell

for the synopsis:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Power-Thinking-Without/dp/0316172324]Amazon.com: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (9780316172325): Malcolm Gladwell: Books[/ame]

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Grossman "On Killing"

Gavin DeBecker "The Gift of Fear"

Jeff Cooper "Principles of Personal Defence"

Miyamoto Musashi "Book of Five Rings"

Paul Howe "Leadership and Training for the Fight"

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Just my :twocents: for what it's worth. All the books in the world will not give you the knowledge and experience of one good weekend of hands on training with a qualtiy instructor like those at ACT.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Grossman "On Killing"

Gavin DeBecker "The Gift of Fear"

Jeff Cooper "Principles of Personal Defence"

Miyamoto Musashi "Book of Five Rings"

Paul Howe "Leadership and Training for the Fight"

I'll second teh Gavin DeBecker :yesway: I've used information I've learned in that book SEVERAL times

Just my :twocents: for what it's worth. All the books in the world will not give you the knowledge and experience of one good weekend of hands on training with a qualtiy instructor like those at ACT.

Agreed but OP has a GIFT CARD to use and is trying to get the best bang for the buck :yesway:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Warrior Mindset by Lt. Col Dave Grossman is a very popular book for people wanting to get a proper handle on shooting and what it may take to do it. Also, I believe it is part of a three part series.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Anything by:

Massad Ayoob
    John Farnam
    Louis Awerbuck

Also:

Handgun Comabtives by Dave Spaulding

And I agree 100% that Grossman's books are a must read for all of us.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Update:

I finally got around to picking out some books at my local Borders; here's what I got:

Tao of Jeet Kune Do, by Bruce Lee
    The Art of War, by Sun Tzu
    Combatives for Street Survival, by Kelly McCann

There weren't a lot of books about the defensive use of guns at Borders and I already own "On Killing" so I ended up indulging my inner martial artist. When I first picked up the book titled "Combatives for Street Survival" I was honestly expecting to flip through it for a laugh as the author explained that all I will ever need to know for self defense is how to knee a man in the groin and gouge out his eyes. However, I found a book written by a former Marine that contains excellent advice about situational awareness, tips on avoiding confrontation, and concepts for hand-to-hand combat. It's an excellent read for both kinds of people (those who do carry a gun and those who don't).

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Update:

I finally got around to picking out some books at my local Borders; here's what I got:

Tao of Jeet Kune Do, by Bruce Lee
    The Art of War, by Sun Tzu
    Combatives for Street Survival, by Kelly McCann

There weren't a lot of books about the defensive use of guns at Borders and I already own "On Killing" so I ended up indulging my inner martial artist. When I first picked up the book titled "Combatives for Street Survival" I was honestly expecting to flip through it for a laugh as the author explained that all I will ever need to know for self defense is how to knee a man in the groin and gouge out his eyes. However, I found a book written by a former Marine that contains excellent advice about situational awareness, tips on avoiding confrontation, and concepts for hand-to-hand combat. It's an excellent read for both kinds of people (those who do carry a gun and those who don't).

I was going to suggest "The Art of War", but I was afraid is was not specific enough to your request. To win by fighting is not the acme of skill.

"To a surrounded enemy, you must leave a way of escape. Show him there is a road to safety, and so create in his mind the idea that there is an alternative to death. Then strike"

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy.
    Feign disorder, and crush him."

Top Bottom