What to replace my springfield loaded 1911 guide rod with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My only gripe with the springfield armory loaded 1911 loaded guide rod is that I can't disassemble it to clean it without an allen wrench. I really don't see an advantage or disadvantage about a full length guide rod or a smaller length guide rod. I really don't care, all I know is that I want the gun to run 100% of the time like it always has, but I want it to be a little bit easier and field expedient to clean/lube. Anyway, could any of you more knowledgeable on the 1911 recommend a drop in replacement part for me to put in the gun?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    full length or GI doesn't make much difference in function but STI makes affordable full length that just requires a paper clip for take down

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I've replaced all of my 1911 recoil spring guide/plug setups with the Wilson Combat R8 guide and the Cylinder and Slide mil-spec recoil spring plug. The guide is the short GI type and the plug "screws" onto the spring so it doesn't launch into low earth orbit if you lose control during assembly or disassembly. This was pretty much the standart back when I was a lot younger.

I've never had any function problems with this setup.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've replaced all of my 1911 recoil spring guide/plug setups with the Wilson Combat R8 guide and the Cylinder and Slide mil-spec recoil spring plug. The guide is the short GI type and the plug "screws" onto the spring so it doesn't launch into low earth orbit if you lose control during assembly or disassembly. This was pretty much the standart back when I was a lot younger.

I've never had any function problems with this setup.

My son has a nice round scare over one of his eyes from just such a launch.

Top Bottom