• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    If I set it on 40 it turns on at 45 and turns off at 35. Is that to low? It's in a finished basement with heat and air conditioning. I was worried about the wood stocks.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If I set it on 40 it turns on at 45 and turns off at 35. Is that to low? It's in a finished basement with heat and air conditioning. I was worried about the wood stocks.
    I have mine set for 45%. In the summer it pretty much runs all the time in my unfinished basement. In the winter the dehumidifier rarely runs. My hygrometer usually stays at around 50%. I keep my wood stocked guns in a safe near the dehumidifier. They have shown no ill effects. I do have a sump pump that runs 24/7 down there too, so I'm sure that has some impact on the humidity.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    For all intensive purposes 50% is a good number to keep wood from swelling or rust from forming. If you really want to get technical it is all about dewpoint.

The term humidity as most people use it is actually relative humidity. It's called relative because it is relative to the temperature. Warmer air hold more moisture than cool air so 50% RH at 72 degrees has more moisture content than 50% RH at say 60 degrees.

You will never get to 35% in the summer and anything below that will cause static issues if you have carpet.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    That's funny, I keep mine set at 35% and it only needs to run about eight hours a day to maintain it

Then it is secondary to another system like your main AC unit. 35% in the summer is VERY dry and a waste of energy.

I guess I should learn to never talk in absolutes. If you have a very well sealed building or you have a primary AC unit removing most of the humidity then it is possible but again it is a waste IMHO.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The term humidity as most people use it is actually relative humidity. It's called relative because it is relative to the temperature. Warmer air hold more moisture than cool air so 50% RH at 72 degrees has more moisture content than 50% RH at say 60 degrees.

Relative humidity is actually the sweat that runs down the crack of your a$$ when your wife catches you in bed with her sister.

Top Bottom