What to use for heavy duty hand stitching thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm wanting to do some modifications and generally playing around with some Molle gear and need to find some heavy duty thread. I'll be hand stitching so it doesn't have to be compatible with any particular type of sewing machine.
    I've made, modified, and repaired camping gear for years but the gun related stuff is much heavier duty for obvious reasons. I've in the past used dental floss which is heavier duty than any thread I've seen in molle gear but I can't find heavy monofiliment in black. POH makes a 630 denier black but it is gathered strands. It may be just as good or better but I don't know what I don't know so who knows. www.BuyPOH.com

Any direction, links, or advice is appreciated.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm wanting to do some modifications and generally playing around with some Molle gear and need to find some heavy duty thread. I'll be hand stitching so it doesn't have to be compatible with any particular type of sewing machine.
    I've made, modified, and repaired camping gear for years but the gun related stuff is much heavier duty for obvious reasons. I've in the past used dental floss which is heavier duty than any thread I've seen in molle gear but I can't find heavy monofiliment in black. POH makes a 630 denier black but it is gathered strands. It may be just as good or better but I don't know what I don't know so who knows. www.BuyPOH.com

Any direction, links, or advice is appreciated.

Spider Wire braided fishing line. The comparable 4# test diameter S/W holds more than 20# test monofilament. And you can dye it any color you want. Its usually green/brown.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dental floss is very strong, but for when white (or minty green) is not desired, there are alternatives. Monofiliment is not the best for sewing. It does not seal the hole and the knots do not stay tight. Since there is very little friction with the fabric, if you snag it, the stitching tends to pull inself out.

Braided nylon sewing thread works better, and is available in black, brown, tan, etc. I found that Hobby Lobby stocks different thicknesses of the nylon thread/string. The middle grade works good on my hand sticher. Good Luck

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hey Doc, I have several cones of thread I won't be using because they are not compatible with my machines that I would sell cheap. These are 1lb + or - cones (thousands of feet) and I have several weights available. They are of the types of threads I use for making packs and harnesses. As it happens I will be up in the Indy area this coming Thursday to pick up some supplies and hopefully do a gun deal, I could bring a few with me and you could pick and choose. I'd take $10 a cone unless it's one of the smaller ones then $5.

Alternatively, before I bought a business making heavy duty gear I hand sewed all my stuff with waxed dental floss, the old standby basic Johnsons (not the newer tapes and the like).

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    There is kevlar thread. I don't have any experience with it, but you may want to check it out.

Here is a link to one source, there are others if you google.

The Thread Exchange, Inc.: Kevlar Thread

WOW, that is serious stuff! For the recreational sewing I'm looking to do that is a little pricey though. Noted for future reference, thanks.

Check in the leather goods department at JoAnn Fabrics, you can get a sewing awl and waxed thread for sewing leather or heavy cloth it's the best I've found.
    That is a good lead also. A part of my current project is toying with a padded belt that came off an external frame backpack. Sewing through that padding with a needle was not something I was looking forward to. The sewing awl option will have my attention.

As long as you are sewing by hand fishing line is the strongest I have ever dealt with.

I get too frustrated trying to tie a knot with fishing line when stitching. It is a skill set failing on my part but I've had too many come undone.

In hind sight, the dental floss I've used in the past was not mono filament. It was the braided strands Shibumi mentioned above. If I could get it in black that would be perfect. I may have to try to dye it.

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Upholster shop they have strong thread that they use daily, in which I use for my civil war reenacting uniform buttons. Stop in and see if they have a 3/4 used roll like I did.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Kevlar is O.K., but...

... I don't need bullet-proof stitches. Go with NOMEX if you can find it. I bought a 2-lb bobbin of it on Cheaper-Than for $2 a year ago. Dental-floss is good to have around for emergencies since it is usually in a tiny package. Easy to stow a few packages just about anywhere. It is an effective decapitator in a tight squeeze. Make ahead your garrote and stow it, with the handles, in a money-belt along with a few $50s and $20s. EBG

Top Bottom