• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So I finally did an E-Form for a new SBR. Got the lower engraved and am patiently waiting for the approval.

Thinking about how I want to set this lower up. I will be mating a 5.56 barrel with a can to it.

Right now it is sitting on my other SBR lower that I put an Ace stock on and an SSA trigger. The old SBR will be mated with my .22 lr set up.

So, do I swap out the triggers, do I buy another SSA or is there a better choice out there?

This will not be set up as a precision shooter. My thoughts are more in line with an HD go to gun.

Reason for the swap is the 5.56 can and the new SBR are both in my trust whereas the .22 can and the other SBR are in my LLC (before I started the trust).

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    You like the SSA? If so, stick with what you know.

It does not have to be a"precision" rig to have a nice trigger in it.

My 12.5 SBR has a SSA-E in it, it's not a "Precision" rig, but I like the trigger.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I like the trigger fine but I don't have much to compare it to. Didn't know if there were others out there that would be better or comparable.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I'd recommend the sd-e or a single stage probably. With the goal of a precision shooter I'd want to drop the trigger weight and shore up some of the travel/draw weight. The sd-e is a two stage like the sd-c with lower weight pull, but I'd still look into a quality single stage.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I admit that I am a trigger idiot so bear with me here....

Setting this up just as a shooter/plinker and possible HD gun you would say go with a single stage?

What is a quality single stage trigger? I am sure that the one in there is just mil-spec.

I am not opposed to spending money on this, but no need to just throw money at it and get no return. If that makes sense.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I was once a "mil-spec trigger is just fine" guy too. Then I tried a friend's Geissele and I was ruined. As the interface between man and weapon, a quality trigger is something you'll appreciate right away.

Setting this up just as a shooter/plinker and possible HD gun you would say go with a single stage?

Not necessarily. I'd be more concerned about getting something with a pull weight that isn't super light. Something 4-5lbs would be a nice balance.

I'd stay away from superlight pull weights and adjustable triggers.

I have a Geissele SD-C in my SBR and love it. It's a 2-stage, but pulling through both stages during rapid fire responds just like a single stage. Having the option to slow down and stage the trigger for precision shots is nice too. And I'm a fan of the flat-faced trigger.

What is a quality single stage trigger?

Geissele, Timney, CMC, to name a few.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That flat trigger looks odd on the SD-C. Reading a bit about it and seems like a good enough reason to use one. but it sure does look off to me.

So far I am down to either another SSA or the SD-C.

Have dropped thinking about pulling the SSA in my other lower to put in this one. The thought is that I will eventually either put my 300 upper on it or I will build another upper besides the .22 lr for it and not be happy with the stock trigger.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    CMC triggers are awesome. I have run two in the past and have one in my current rig and two more to go in the next to builds i have. Absolutely phenomenal triggers.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That flat trigger looks odd on the SD-C. Reading a bit about it and seems like a good enough reason to use one. but it sure does look off to me.

I picked it simply because it was different, and I ended up really liking it. There's something about the flat trigger face that helps my brain judge its position relative to my finger with greater ease. Tough to explain.

And its easy to go fast.

[video=youtube;059PQ1egmhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=059PQ1egmhs[/video]

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

What is a quality single stage trigger? I am sure that the one in there is just mil-spec.

I am not opposed to spending money on this, but no need to just throw money at it and get no return. If that makes sense.

I apologize completely, I read that you were doing a precision shooter, it clearly says NOT a precision shooter, ignore what I said. I still like the SD-E or SD-C as options though. And don't worry about the flat bow, it's comfortable to shoot and interfaces well with the trigger finger.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked them over and kept coming back to Geissele.

Ended up getting the SD-C model from suggestions here and from a guy that has the 3 gun version that is flat on his last build.

Plan is to drop it in and then bolt on a long upper to test it while I wait for my Form 1.

Now to decide if I want another Ace skeleton stock or not....

Top Bottom