• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    So, I have decided its time to start building my survival bag, and I even have some of my initial supplies. My question, however, is what kind of bags do you guys keep your supplies in? I have a regular duffle bag with a few pockets in it, but I am thinking I might be hauling this thing around for a while, so maybe I should get a full backpack with a frame on it. What do you use, and please provide links to any sites you know of that have good deals on them. Thanks in advance, it will really help me out.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Take a look at these. http://www.lapolicegear.com/backpacks.html

The important thing in my opinion is to get a bag big enough for the basics and small enough you can carry it.

Everyone has opinions on what to put in the bag, I say put in it what you know will help that you know how to use.

Basics..

Water, Shelter, Food, Protection, Communication, First Aid, etc.

My bags are contantly evolving..

Best of luck..

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Definitely get a backpack. You don't want to be carrying around a duffel bag too long.

I think it depends on your plan in case you need to use it. You can get an average sized pack and put a lot in it but and be more mobile or you can have a large pack with everything but the kitchen sink and be slower.

I currently have a decent sized Condor pack that fits what I need right now

Urban-Go-Bag.gif

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I've got an SO Tech Expedition wich is pretty large, but i don't keep it anywhere near full, especially in the warmer months. But the room is there if I need it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Jenel makes a good point, your bag should accomidatge the changes in your clothing that you keep in your bag.

I have two bags packed for different situations, If need be, I have piggy backed them or front and back them to bug out for a short distance.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I have the LA Police gear 3 day pack and love it. I use it damn near weekly for camping and it has a lot more room than I originally thought. Although most of my gear is backpack gear so it is small. lightweight, or collaspable.

I do carry a seperate small duffel (maybe 8x8x8) that is attached to the backpack that has a "portable kitchen". Backpack stove, fuel for the stove, dehydrated food, metal cup for boiling water, paracord, more firestarting, tinder, backpack pots/pans, spices, etc.

I could easily consolidate the bags into but the only reason I do not is because it is way easier since I do use the bags I am not digging through the main compartment of the backpack when I arrive camping to make some coffee or open up some crystal light to make the water taste better. Plus to me if I had to get out of the house on foot quickly grabbing both bags and dragging them until I can get to a safe area to consolidate is not hard.

To me the bag is only 1/4 of the solution. The other major part is most people pack an awesome bag but have no clue how to use any of the stuff or never take the bag out and try and live on it for a weekend. You will realize how much crap you have that you would never need.

Oh and remember everything in threes so three ways to start a fire, three ways to purfiy water, etc.

Last edited:

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses so far. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to go for a small, framed backpack. I could use something like that for weekend camping trips it would have more than enough room for the things I would need. I agree with the above poster that just having the bag is only part of the prep, I really want something I can take out for a few days and see how many of the items I actually use.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    In my opinion, look beyond the usual "3 Day Assault Pack" as they aren't very accomodating as is. A traditional 3 day in my experience is enough for a change of clothes, a few changes of socks, and if you like to pack anything to cook with or sleep in(sleeping bag/bivy tent) then it's getting full fast.

When I ran a 3 day pack I had the above internal and a 1 person tent external and if I added my hydration bladder to it, it was basically full.

I prefer internal frame, but external can be better overall because they're generally stronger and you can always tie things to the frame or use it in an emergency if you seperate it from the pack.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Agreed Dragon..

I have a Tactical Duty Pack from Fox Outdoor https://www.foxoutdoor.com/item_images/56560.jpg that is similar to the pack pictured in this thread. I use it as my Every Day Carry but it has enough stuff in it that I also serves as my Get Home Bag..

My "Bug Out Bag" is a Fox Outdoor Feild Operators Action Pack https://www.foxoutdoor.com/item_images/56590.jpg and has stuff to compliment and fill the gaps of my EDC. Between the two, I can cover the needs of myself and those whom I am responsible for and cover the basics long enough to get to a BOL.

I about have the youngsters in the house trained, they know how to pack and over pack the things they feel they need, just have to align their efforts to the the knowiing of the difference between need and want, function versus fashion..

Best advice IMHO is pack what you know how to use.. If you "test" your bag and live out of it you find what is helpful, missing and not needed..

Train with your pack as though your life depends on it, because sadly one day it might..

Top Bottom