What type of flashlight do you carry? Do you even carry one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    My Bushnell 100 lumen 2xAAA flashlight died on me last week. The clip broke on it, LED still worked. Major weak point on that light was the super weak clip along with the ultra sharp checkering that made extraction near impossible without shredding your pockets. The light was bright and all flood. Past 10 yards it was OK. Nothing with range. But for electrical work it was perfect. I dont need blinding hotspots for close up electrical work. I don't recommend this light. The quality felt worse than the cheap ultrafire lights. As well as the weak pocketclip and pocket shredding checkering.

Good thing Wally World has a no receipt return policy so I brought it back and got store credit. Went online and found a Streamlight Microstream. Picked it up today. To be honest this thing rocks. Just bright enough for EDC duties and has enough throw to light up a tree 25 yards away. Quite impressive for a "35 lumen" rated light. It reaches much further out than the 100 lumen bushnell. The best thing I like about this light is the strong clip on it. Also it is one of the few lights I can clip in my pocket and actually reach my hand in my pocket. No more dedicated pocket for a light. lol.

I am still searching for that tactical light though. I don't find I need 900 lumens for EDC.

tmater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I carry a Streamlight Protac 2AA almost everyday for 2 years and have had zero issues. Good EDC option

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I am still searching for that tactical light though. I don't find I need 900 lumens for EDC.

Agree on not needing a blinding light all the time for EDC. The Elzetta drops from 900 lumen to about 15 lumens with a wist of the tailcap and it is still plenty bright for walking out to the truck or checking on the chickens at night (until I want the 900 lumens back to watch a coyote run from the coop back into the woods)..

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    My old surefire 6P with an after market led replacement has worked well for me. It went from 65 lumens to 300 with double the run time. Carried in a surefire holder ( allowing bezel up or down carry) and I got an effective light for whatever I need to do within reason.
    Stay safe

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Cost HP7 here, every day... Super bright with good spot/flood but has a ravenous appetite for AAA batteries, 4 at a time. Thinking of retiring it to home duty and researching a new EDC flashlight.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Cost HP7 here, every day... Super bright with good spot/flood but has a ravenous appetite for AAA batteries, 4 at a time. Thinking of retiring it to home duty and researching a new EDC flashlight.

Any flashlight that uses more than TWO AAA batteries is a sham. It is the manufactures coinciding with the battery manufacturers to force consumers to buy batteries. The only lights I buy that use AAA batteries are single and double battery flashlights.

If you really want to keep your AAA battery flashlights than invest in some rechargeables

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Any flashlight that uses more than TWO AAA batteries is a shame. It is the manufactures coinciding with the battery manufacturers to force consumers to buy batteries. The only lights I buy that use AAA batteries are single and double battery flashlights.

If you reply want to keep your AAA battery flashlights than invest in some rechargeables
    Do you even English bro?

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I don't carry one on my person often. I do keep a small LED in my backpack. I carry a Streamlight Jr LED when I anticipate needing a flashlight. I like that it takes common AA batteries.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Powertac E9. Got a good deal on it through my firearms instructor. Tired of cheaper lights failing, so I splurged on this one. Uses 2 Surefire 123A Lithium batteries. Keep it on the firefly setting most of the time. Love the way it lights up the entire backyard, considering how small it is.

High: 1020 lumens / 2.2hrs
    Mid: 635 lumens / 2.4hr
    Low: 280 lumens / 5.5hrs
    Firefly: 1 lumen / 305hrs
    Strobe: 1020 lumens / 4.4hrs
    Max Beam Distance: 226 meters

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I keep an old surefire 6P with a LED drop in in my car, along with an LED mini-mag AAA. I keep Solarforce 18650 lights in the other cars, and one on the night stand (and one on an AR). They aren't high end, or a fancy name brand, but they get the job done for me and i've never had any failures.
    I have a self-branded "Light Hound" (RIP) single 14500 light that is freaking awesome. that ends up with me when I know i'll be out after dark. It was a random purchase for probably 15$ and its been great. While I really like the 18650 size, or CR123, A 14500 sized light is pretty tough to beat for daily carry.

I have several AAA Mini-mags stored around the house. Again, not fancy or cutting edge, but a great size and enough light for piddly crap around the house.

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    Skysted Cree XM/U3 from Amazon. Bought it just after they hit the market. Fantastic beam out to 500+ yards, can see outlines of coyotes when looking through a scope, enough so to have confidence in pulling the trigger. I call it my mini-spotlight. It has useful spill as well. Cheap, at $17 (at the time). The Batteries and Charger more than doubled the cost. I use it a LOT and it's been very reliable. I'm up Pre-tripping my truck at 4am, so it gets turned on and off a lot, and no switch or bulb issues yet. Also have another mounted on my AR, which is the only pic I had handy.

Small Tactical mounted flashlight 1.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just ordered an Olight S30r II to go with my S1. I'll likely end up ordering an S10r as well and see how it carries compared to my S1. With all of the weapon lights I'm feeding it would be nice to have a rechargeable option for my EDC light(s).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The S30R II came in and I've been playing with it. It would make a good EDC light though I don't think it'll replace my S1 Baton, I really prefer a tiny light in my pocket. It works similarly to my S1 with the addition of "Turbo" mode. The side activated button cycles through the six available settings and is easy to get the hang of. I really like the size and weight; the light feels really good in the hand. I was hoping for a little better throw from it on Turbo mode but its my fault for not doing more research before buying. I'm not at all disappointed in it, I think it will see the most use during hunting season.

The different modes:
    Moonlight - 1 lumen
    Low - 20 lumens
    Med - 100 lumens
    High - 450 lumens
    Turbo - 1020 lumens
    Strobe - annoying lol

It has the same magnetic base which is a handy feature. The charging station is a convenient, triangle shaped little base and the light stands on end and holds via the magnet. All in all, another nice little light from Olight.

9403061A-40DD-4382-B9EE-57BED53144D4_zpsopgvpdma.jpg

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Picked up a Surefire Titan Plus keychain light the other week, I really like it. Typical Surefire build quality and materials used. It's proven useful to have a dependable light on my keys, but I will say I'm not a huge fan of light control, as it differs from what I'm accustomed to. The "twist on brightness low, off and wait a second - back on for brightness medium, off and wait a second for brightness level high" is a bit fiddly and less than ideal. Considering the light output at all levels and the compact size, it's a good light I don't regret buying, but my EDC is still my LX2 Lumamax, and a Streamlight Stylus ProTac for work tasks.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    alright, I was easily swayed. I just ordered an Olight S1 Baton. Pretty excited, should be a super easy EDC! Thanks for the recommendations!

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Currently carrying around a Frontgate explorer LED light. Perhaps not top of the line, but it's sturdy and easy for me to carry around while still being pretty bright when I need it to be. It's come in useful quite a few times for the most mundane of reasons.

Top Bottom