What type of flashlight do you carry? Do you even carry one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Streamlight Strion LED on duty, Streamlight ProTac off duty, Streamlight TLR-1 for the Glock. I bought the Strion over 5 years ago and still haven't had a second of trouble out of it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've carried a Fenix P1D for many years now. I hate the twist bezel activation but the brightness to size ratio overcomes it. One of these days someone will come out with a capable light as small as this one with push button activation, until then I'll keep carrying this one unless it finally dies on me.

67C8ECBB-DC49-4BF3-A831-59F9A89B1F52_zpsg7eivyiw.jpg

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Surefire G2X Pro dual mode (low/high) with a Prometheus titanium pocket clip. For night walks in the summer I use any number of cheap AA or AAA powered flashlights I have around the house but I always have the Surefire with me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've carried a Fenix P1D for many years now. I hate the twist bezel activation but the brightness to size ratio overcomes it. One of these days someone will come out with a capable light as small as this one with push button activation, until then I'll keep carrying this one unless it finally dies on me.
    Do you want a rear button or just a button? If it doesn't have to be on the end, I recommend looking at the Olight S10r. It is about the same size, is brighter, and is rechargeable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Do you want a rear button or just a button? If it doesn't have to be on the end, I recommend looking at the Olight S10r. It is about the same size, is brighter, and is rechargeable.

I'm used to rear buttons but I'm not sure how well a rear would work on a light that small, a side button might work better. I'll check out the S10r, thanks for the info.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've carried a Four Sevens Quark AAx2 Tactical at work for almost 5 years now. The Tactical version has a recessed clicky tailcap for on/off, and you twist the head for 1 0f 2 programmable output levels. I have programmed the head to be High (200L) and Low (40L) as I have found High to be overpowering for up close detail work (like wiring audio and video racks in a dark arena), but 200 L is enough to see well enough at reasonable distances. AA batteries are were a must for me since the job provides me with an unlimited supply.

ETA: I carry it strong-side in a SOE pouch on my belt (Leatherman Wave, too), the OEM pouch is a POS. It would fit comfortably in a pocket, but that's where my phone and cigs/lighter live.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/flashlight-pouch

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I ordered an S10r II off of Amazon this morning. Then I got to looking around and watching reviews and came across the Olight S1 Baton. I ended up cancelling the order for the S10r and ordering an S1 instead. The S1 is a little bit smaller which is an important aspect for me if I'm carrying it in my pocket and I'm not too concerned about it being rechargeable. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, the S1 should be a great upgrade from my well worn Fenix P1D.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I ordered an S10r II off of Amazon this morning. Then I got to looking around and watching reviews and came across the Olight S1 Baton. I ended up cancelling the order for the S10r and ordering an S1 instead. The S1 is a little bit smaller which is an important aspect for me if I'm carrying it in my pocket and I'm not too concerned about it being rechargeable. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, the S1 should be a great upgrade from my well worn Fenix P1D.
    My pleasure. I've been carrying my every day for a couple of years now, usually in dress pants.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    OK, KLB is my hero of the week, no month, wait...possibly year. The Olight S1 showed up this afternoon (gotta love Amazon Prime) and the initial impression is most excellent. Not only is it activated by a button on the side rather than a twist bezel, it has a magnet in the base, it is smaller than my beloved Fenix P1D, it has a belt clip which makes for an excellent grip on the little light and puts out 500 lumens. Yes, you read that correctly, 500 lumens.

I've carried this Fenix religiously for many years. If this Olight proves durable I believe it will be better in every way.

D09CF8B4-81BE-48B4-8F29-31B04F8980D2_zpsxwkhqkbd.jpg

34AEC3AC-C404-47A2-8402-0F4B43FCC136_zps7e02yop6.jpg

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I carry a Strion HL all the time - I've saved enough with rechargability to pay for the light over and over again in battery cost alone. I keep a FourSevens Preon P1 (old style apparently, looking at their website) in my pocket as a backup.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    OK, KLB is my hero of the week, no month, wait...possibly year. The Olight S1 showed up this afternoon (gotta love Amazon Prime) and the initial impression is most excellent. Not only is it activated by a button on the side rather than a twist bezel, it has a magnet in the base, it is smaller than my beloved Fenix P1D, it has a belt clip which makes for an excellent grip on the little light and puts out 500 lumens. Yes, you read that correctly, 500 lumens.

I've carried this Fenix religiously for many years. If this Olight proves durable I believe it will be better in every way.

D09CF8B4-81BE-48B4-8F29-31B04F8980D2_zpsxwkhqkbd.jpg

34AEC3AC-C404-47A2-8402-0F4B43FCC136_zps7e02yop6.jpg
    :rockwoot:

Hopefully it holds up for you. My older version only puts out 400 lumens.

The clip is great for attaching it to the bill of a ball cap and using it for a headlamp too.

Top Bottom