• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    jewel weed and some plantain (the broadleaf yard weed) mixed in, run through the food processor with olive oil then strained through a t-shirt works wonders.

I'll remember the alcohol wash followed by peroxide trick.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My stepdad had me make a thick paste made from lye soap to treat my nasty looking patches. When we would used oil based paints, the old man would trickle some of the naptha / gasoline / thinner used to clean the brushes / rollers and put that on the vine or chop a section off and put blue Tordon on that bastage. Same treatment for mulberry or stink elm.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Enjoy it while you can, and don't show off too much by handling it. You can become sensitized to it with repeated exposure or a large enough exposure.

Oh, and for what it's worth, people with suppressed immune systems also have less of a response to it...

I don't handle it on purpose simply because I don't want to risk transferring the oil to someone else but it is nice that I don't have to go out of my way to avoid it either. I'm not completely immune as I will still get a very mild reaction on occasion but only in the sensitive skin between my fingers or on the underside of my wrists and only if I handle a large main vine of an inch in diameter.

Oh, I'm pretty sure my immune system is good... or at least as good as has been for the last 35 years since I stopped having much of a reaction to it.

It kinda suck not to as well - my mom and her sisters all depend on me to pull it out.

Even going to Easter dinner requires some manual labor before I'm allowed to eat my ham.

Pulling poison ivy vines sounds like an exercise in futility... better to nuke it with a good weed killer and be done with it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My stepdad had me make a thick paste made from lye soap to treat my nasty looking patches. When we would used oil based paints, the old man would trickle some of the naptha / gasoline / thinner used to clean the brushes / rollers and put that on the vine or chop a section off and put blue Tordon on that bastage. Same treatment for mulberry or stink elm.

I really need to get some Tordon. I've got tons of volunteer oaks and black walnut coming up everywhere from the squirrels, not to mention mulberry and a few patches of poison ivy and some other kind of tree that I can't identify. We get a ton of them every year but I have yet to see a tree in the area that looks like them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't handle it on purpose simply because I don't want to risk transferring the oil to someone else but it is nice that I don't have to go out of my way to avoid it either. I'm not completely immune as I will still get a very mild reaction on occasion but only in the sensitive skin between my fingers or on the underside of my wrists and only if I handle a large main vine of an inch in diameter.

Oh, I'm pretty sure my immune system is good... or at least as good as has been for the last 35 years since I stopped having much of a reaction to it.

Just things to be aware of. I'm glad folks are non-reactive to it. I know too many people who gladly demonstrate how non-reactive they are any chance they get. Known a couple who ended up having extremely serious reactions as a result. Best just to avoid it in general and keep the lack of reaction as a backup in case of exposure.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I really need to get some Tordon. I've got tons of volunteer oaks and black walnut coming up everywhere from the squirrels, not to mention mulberry and a few patches of poison ivy and some other kind of tree that I can't identify. We get a ton of them every year but I have yet to see a tree in the area that looks like them.

I bought mine at Rural King back in the day. Haven't used it all up. Just to make sure whatever you want dead has a fresh cut and dribble a drop or three on the part growing from the earth. I'm so freaked out I put it on the cut away piece too. Triple bag it and landfill it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just things to be aware of. I'm glad folks are non-reactive to it. I know too many people who gladly demonstrate how non-reactive they are any chance they get. Known a couple who ended up having extremely serious reactions as a result. Best just to avoid it in general and keep the lack of reaction as a backup in case of exposure.

Yes, that seems suspiciously close to "Hey, y'all watch this!" with similarly poor results likely eventually.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sounds like it really sucks to be allergic to poison ivy.:whistle:

That's what I've heard.

Twenty years ago I used a Stihl brush cutter to knock down large bushy PI patches and had the juice thrown all over my exposed arms and face. Not a problem. Got into a little bit of it a couple of days ago...still not a problem.

My sister breaks out in a rash if she even thinks about it.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I've also used paint thinner with naptha to treat poison ivy. The dryers in the thinner that makes the paint set up will also help dry up poison ivy.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I've also used paint thinner with naptha to treat poison ivy. The dryers in the thinner that makes the paint set up will also help dry up poison ivy.

With the side benefit of slightly better chances for developing cancer.

Terrible advice.

Petroleum solvents should be kept OFF your skin as much as possible.

Once poison ivy has caused a rash, etc., it is far too late to worry about using a solvent to remove the wax. Antihistamines, time, and symptomatic treatment are the only real options.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom