• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I stopped by Gander Mountain in Evansville this evening after work to check out some electronic predator calls (hey they have a nice selection). So on the way into the store I see a new sign just inside the door that says "All guns need to be unloaded and checked in at counter NO EXCEPTIONS" I could not believe it!. I pulled my shirt down and went right in with my XD (that I had bought at the very store)carried IWB. I won't be going back and intend to call and write the manager letting them know my feelings on unarming me while in their store.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wow! That's a complete 180 from corporate headquarters' stated comments! Let us know what you hear back!

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Sounds like a great way to get someone shot by accident

So on the way into the store I see a new sign just inside the door that says "All guns need to be unloaded and checked in at counter NO EXCEPTIONS" I could not believe it!. I pulled my shirt down and went right in with my XD (that I had bought at the very store)carried IWB. I won't be going back and intend to call and write the manager letting them know my feelings on unarming me while in their store.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, was that sign something that looked like it was printed up on the store's computer printer, or did it look like something that came from corporate? There is a store in Merrillville, not to far from one of my retail stores, I'll try to get in there in the next couple of days to check it out. I wonder if they have a similar sign? I've carried in that store in the past.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I go into that store once in a while in Evansville. I haven't noticed that sign.

I'm very interested in hearing the response from Gander Mountain.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was in the Gander Mountain in Greenwood on Saturday and they had a sign that said that all weapons must be unloaded and in a case. The last line on the sign stated that people with LTCH we excluded from this requirement.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was in the Gander Mountain in Greenwood on Saturday and they had a sign that said that all weapons must be unloaded and in a case. The last line on the sign stated that people with LTCH we excluded from this requirement.

+1 The one in Merrilville / Hobart' has the same signage. At first glance one could miss the "does not apply to".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Maybe I'll stop by the Castleton one and check theirs out too. I bet it was just the Evansville store manager getting a little bit uppity. GM already went through this fiasco once, which is why they put up the signs exempting LTCH holders to begin with.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    It was a big sign probably 24"x18" or so looek like any of the other signs in the store advertising specials.
    It was the first time I had noticed it, I was there last saturday getting the shears sharpened and did not notice it then.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, you do realize that this sign applies to those who are bringing in those firearms to the gunsmith or to be sold/traded...

Those who are wearing weapons for their own defense, concealed or not, don't have to take their weapon out for any kind of checking.

-J-

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Sounds like a great way to get someone shot by accident

Just need to go in and walk right up to the cashier and pull your pistol.
    Then pull the mag and unload while the poor kid has a terrified look on his face. Yeah that would be the thing to do...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The sign at the Terre Haute store also has the exception for LTCH holders. The sign is for guns that are brought into the store for repairs, trade, or sale. I don't have a problem with that, but they should be explicit at all of their stores. Maybe they only post the "good" sign at stores where people have complained?

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Ok I finally got to talk with Brian a manager who was / is a complete idiot when it comes to IN gun laws. The rule applies to ALL GUNS not just the ones being brought in for trade or work by the gunsmiths. No exclusion for those of us with a valid LTC. He says that if he can see it it needs to be unloaded and tagged. If he cannot see it he cannot say anything but you are running the risk of being asked to leave the store and possibly banned. He stated that the store was not the state of IN but was private property and they make their own rules. He also said that IN has concealed carry permit and your weapon had to be concealed. Meaning no open carry. I tried to explain to him that it was a licence to carry a handgun and nor a concealed carry permit and he got stupid and said he knew what it was he had had one all his life. I just asked that when we were done talking to pull the little pink piece of paper out and read it for himself. He stated that it was company policy and not a store policy after asking several times.
    If anyone would like to call and express their thoughts to the manager the # is 812 473-9117 I myself do not plan to go back to the store until they change their policy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm 99% certain that he's mistaken about it being company policy. I think a barrage of (polite!) letters to corporate headquarters might be in order.

Top Bottom