What will be the next big development in firearm technology?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'll chime in that manufacturing processes have ushered in huge leaps in firearms technologies. The changes over the last twenty years have fostered in things I (and many others) scarcely imagined.

Polymer frames being one of the biggest changes, has introduced a huge impact on the firearms industry in price point if nothing else. I am not a fan of Tupperware but I do recognize the significance of its presence.

Scopes, lasers, red dots, holographic, thermal, night vision (including clip-on front of the scope types), automatic digital adjusting scopes will continue to get better and cheaper. Many, many things have increased the usefulness and lethality of firearms in the last twenty years.

I question the absurdity of how anyone could postulate that firearms technology has stagnated. Unless of course one were to discount it all and ask, "Sure, but what have you done for me lately?"

What do you want? A phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

Shall we discuss reliability, PDW's, 35-50-100 round magazines? Blow back and gas operated PCCs, flat shooting barrel burners, 1000 yard shooting being commonplace, semi-automatic 50 BMGs, small projectiles running over 3000fps, all incredible stuff that has now become ho-hum?

If your sole concern is projectile launching, I'll cast a vote for caseless ammunition or polymer cases of some sort to be the next significant change.

Phasers and hand-held railguns will remain science fiction and prohibitively expensive (if not completely unavailable to the public) for a long time. They aren't firearms after all.

My guess on where things go in the next couple of decades? Hand held lasers that have batteries that are changed like magazines due to energy storage density and discharge rates. Very deep and very nasty burns that incapacitate the target instead of kinetic energy delivery. I just don't know how folks will handle the collateral damage due to accidentally setting things on fire. That's probably why the public won't be allowed to have these. They aren't firearms either.

Edit: Aww, KIA beat me to the Terminator reference while I was typing my tome :(

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    It's been a long time since any leaps have been made.

Muzzle loaders and such to cartridge weapons was pretty big.

Single action to double action was a good one too.

Revolvers and manually-operated actions to semi- and full-auto operatition was pretty nice.

Since then? Nothing much.

So, what's on the horizon? Railguns firing solid projectiles using electromagnets? Lasers? Phasers?

Has weapons development stagnated? Where do we go from here?

Please don't drag caliber discussions into it. I'm talking about weapons development theory.
    Most likely a directed energy weapon, think of a tazer with no wires. There is a company working on it as we speak, it is heavily based on nicola teslas research on wireless electricity. Supposedly prototype exists but its rather large. It would only be a matter of time before components become small enough to make into a handheld device

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Ammo I think has the most room for development. New 3d materials might even allow printing of bullets for hand loading. New powders, etc. Things like the leverevolution can bring new ballistics to old rifles. Also really like the thinking behind the beowolf. New ammo for existing platforms to maximize potential. New alloys may allow for lighter (but still metal) firearms.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Ammo I think has the most room for development. New 3d materials might even allow printing of bullets for hand loading. New powders, etc. Things like the leverevolution can bring new ballistics to old rifles. Also really like the thinking behind the beowolf. New ammo for existing platforms to maximize potential. New alloys may allow for lighter (but still metal) firearms.
    Ammo definitely has high potential. I know a few friends that turn on a lathe tungsten cores and sabot them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I question the absurdity of how anyone could postulate that firearms technology has stagnated. Unless of course one were to discount it all and ask, "Sure, but what have you done for me lately?"

[video=youtube;Q16EWAXwh94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16EWAXwh94[/video]

In the 10-20 year range I can see more automated targeting (e.g. computerized).
    Long range, maybe another stab at caseless ammo. HK got close...

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Polymer frames being one of the biggest changes, has introduced a huge impact on the firearms industry in price point if nothing else. I am not a fan of Tupperware but I do recognize the significance of its presence.

Scopes, lasers, red dots, holographic, thermal, night vision (including clip-on front of the scope types), automatic digital adjusting scopes will continue to get better and cheaper. Many, many things have increased the usefulness and lethality of firearms in the last twenty years.

Shall we discuss reliability, PDW's, 35-50-100 round magazines? Blow back and gas operated PCCs, flat shooting barrel burners, 1000 yard shooting being commonplace, semi-automatic 50 BMGs, small projectiles running over 3000fps, all incredible stuff that has now become ho-hum?

If your sole concern is projectile launching, I'll cast a vote for caseless ammunition or polymer cases of some sort to be the next significant change.

I'm not saying that any of those things aren't welcome and exciting improvements, but they aren't really the sort of developments that amount to leaps in technology, like cartridge guns or repeaters. Those really changed the face of warfare and self-defense.

What do you want? A phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

A phased plasma rifle? No, I want 3 of 'em. :D

Phasers and hand-held railguns will remain science fiction and prohibitively expensive (if not completely unavailable to the public) for a long time. They aren't firearms after all.

My guess on where things go in the next couple of decades? Hand held lasers that have batteries that are changed like magazines due to energy storage density and discharge rates. Very deep and very nasty burns that incapacitate the target instead of kinetic energy delivery. I just don't know how folks will handle the collateral damage due to accidentally setting things on fire. That's probably why the public won't be allowed to have these. They aren't firearms either.

Caseless and polymer rounds would be a good development if they can get past the heat issues, but you're not losing much size or weight for the development.

Energy weapons I think could be the next big development, with battery tech constantly getting better (driven mostly by the auto industry). If I can set some sum***** on fire from a hundred yards away, I'll allow it to loosely be called a firearm. ;)

While the legislators may pass laws that make it illegal to own energy weapons, if the parts are readily available electronic parts, people will own them, politicians be damned.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Whatever gets developed it will have military applications first, because that's where the big money is. Caseless ammunition has and continues to be worked on but the tech for a clean, durable, lower temp burning propellant to form to the projectile still hasn't been worked out. One of the lesser known problems with caseless was cooling of full auto guns. That brass leaving the chamber takes a lot of heat with it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom