• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My SIL is in the meat industry. He doesn't think there will be a shortage, but prices will increase. It is costing breeders, butchers and retail establishments more money to operate.

He is not the foremost authority but there is a sentiment from someone directly in the industry.

I, like Snapdragon bought a side of beef once and a hog. Too much hamburger with the beef. I would be willing to swap, but I haven't had much luck in getting people to give me two tenderloins for all of my ground beef.:)

We buy from local sources and take trips out to Rice's once in awhile. I work with a person who has cattle. Several people at work go in together a couple times a year and split up a cow. I might see if I can buy in on the cuts I'd like to have. The lady who has the cattle has offered to sell me whatever cuts I want on an individual basis.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    We bought a half a side once and there were a lot of cuts that I would rather not have had. I would rather pick and choose my cuts and just look for the best price on them. We mostly use ground beef, roasts, and tenderloin, so it works better for me to just shop around for sales on those items.

A good processor will let you order the cut to your liking. We usually have everything that can be steak cut as steak. Chuck steak isn’t t-bone, but it’s still quite good grilled. Also gives you the option of getting the whole brisket or diverting more of the animal to ground or stew meat. We also get all the bones and organs... the bones are great for broth or giving the dogs a special frozen summer treat. While we don’t generally eat the heart or liver, we know folks who do, and they always appreciate a gift.

That said, it is typically quite a bit of meat, and if you don’t like half of it, it’s not really a great savings.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Our local butcher shops are booked beyond 12-29-20 for hogs. Yep, next year. So if you buy one of those cheap hogs being sold, feeding them for another 6 months won't be cheap.

Butchering and grinding/packaging a hog or a beef is not outside the capabilities of anyone who has gutted and skinned a deer. Workspace and refrigeration are the limiting factors for many.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    [video=youtube;RDZt0mun8nI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZt0mun8nI[/video]

YOU GO HOME NOW!!! YOU BEEN HERE FOUR HOUR!!!!! YOU EAT TOO MUCH!!!!

An absolutely great comedian, sadly gone way to soon.

"Try some brackari! Eat moar vegetable!"

Wife and I talked about seeing him live right before he passed...

We have bought from a guy at my work for a while and had scheduled a half cow before things went full stupid
    He told me this week he'd delivered and his price wasn't going up for this one.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My SIL is in the meat industry. He doesn't think there will be a shortage, but prices will increase. It is costing breeders, butchers and retail establishments more money to operate.

He is not the foremost authority but there is a sentiment from someone directly in the industry.
    I, like Snapdragon bought a side of beef once and a hog. Too much hamburger with the beef. I would be willing to swap, but I haven't had much luck in getting people to give me two tenderloins for all of my ground beef.:)

We buy from local sources and take trips out to Rice's once in awhile. I work with a person who has cattle. Several people at work go in together a couple times a year and split up a cow. I might see if I can buy in on the cuts I'd like to have. The lady who has the cattle has offered to sell me whatever cuts I want on an individual basis.

That's my beef with it. ;)

I don't eat ground beef (outside of burgers), but I'll happily eat tongue, liver, tripe, tail, cheek, or whatever else is tasty.

We split a quarter with the SIL, that's enough for the two of us. Then we get a whole hog for ourselves.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Tofu and cats will fill in the gaps in supply.

My father grew up in London during the Blitz and told me that lots of the rabbits for sale at the local butchers appeared on closer examination to be felines.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's my beef with it. ;)

I don't eat ground beef (outside of burgers), but I'll happily eat tongue, liver, tripe, tail, cheek, or whatever else is tasty.

We split a quarter with the SIL, that's enough for the two of us. Then we get a whole hog for ourselves.

I just realized that SIL could mean Sister-in-Law or Son-in-Law. In my case it is my son-in-law.:)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hamburger is running $5.09 to $5.39 a lb in most places today. That's the 80/20 stuff, sometimes you can get 70/30 about a buck cheaper. At the same time I have bought boneless skinless chicken breasts for as low at 99c a lb, typically $1.99/lb....whole and half pork loins are common at $1.89/lb and I have grabbed a few from Kroger for $1.29/lb about a month ago. Beef prices are to the point we don't buy it. I have a bunch of ground venison in the freezer so when we need a meatloaf we just use that. Eating mostly chicken, pork, and fish these days. Pressure canning meat is easy and saves freezer space. A pint jar can typically hold a pound of meat.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hamburger is running $5.09 to $5.39 a lb in most places today. That's the 80/20 stuff, sometimes you can get 70/30 about a buck cheaper. At the same time I have bought boneless skinless chicken breasts for as low at 99c a lb, typically $1.99/lb....whole and half pork loins are common at $1.89/lb and I have grabbed a few from Kroger for $1.29/lb about a month ago. Beef prices are to the point we don't buy it. I have a bunch of ground venison in the freezer so when we need a meatloaf we just use that. Eating mostly chicken, pork, and fish these days. Pressure canning meat is easy and saves freezer space. A pint jar can typically hold a pound of meat.

Wow!
    I had no idea that beef prices had gotten so high.
    I think the last time I bought ground beef in the grocery store I pad less than $1.50 lb for it.
    I haven't bought beef for my home for more than 35 years.

Between hunting and the local road-kill list, I have a continuing supply of venison, and I always have a good bit of it ground into either burger or Italian sausage.
    Both make great meatloaf, chili, biscuits and gravy...

I'm spoiled I guess.

Top Bottom