• Will Obama go after the rifles?

• Total voters

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I think this topic could either go here, or the legislation section, so mods, if you fell this needs to be moved, please do!

Anyway, we heard Obama say he wants to get "assault weapons" out of the hands of civilians, but my question is, will he really do that?

Think about it, rifle sales are a boost to the economy! A majority of guns sold and taxed in the USofA are the types of rifles Obama is targeting. I personally feel like if Obama is re-elected, they will target the magazines, not the actually rifles themselves.

What do you guys think?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think he will do anything against this guns (or the mags, or the ammo) as long as there are some patriots left in this country to defend the right to bear arms.
    Even with an anti-gun president (like all the US presidents have been so far, and just like Romney will be if he's elected) I think he will not be able to take those guns away.

Gun rights are important but they are pretty well defended by the constitution and millions of gun owners, so you should look at other issues when it comes to choosing a candidate and not only focus on his views on guns since none of the candidates are truelly pro-gun anyway, they all support some kinds of gun control that are clearly against the idea of the 2A.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Of course he'll "go after" them if he's re-elected. He's said as much. It's who he is at his core.

However, if the Dems don't regain control of the House of Rep. it will go nowhere.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Takes more than a president, he's gotta have the rest of congress too. Pretty sure the gun shops will be telling you they'll be banned though to boost sales.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    He left the door open to more than just black rifles they were talking about AK's and his hight and mightyness also brought up the handgun violence in his hometown of Chicago. He pretty well put everything on the block up.:noway:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of course he'll "go after" them if he's re-elected. He's said as much. It's who he is at his core.

However, if the Dems don't regain control of the House of Rep. it will go nowhere.

Yeah, 'cause politicians never say things to get votes then forget them as soon as their elected.

But, your right about the second part.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Last edited:

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I doubt the House & Senate would go for another AWB ban. They took a beating after Bill Clinton pushed and passed the AWB (1994 Crime Bill). But... much damage has been done in the past with executive orders (Clintons EO permanently banned the importation of more than 50 semi auto firearms) and/or could be done with say a tax or better yet a "Health Care" tax on firearms and ammo.
    Also dont forget how Bill Clinton and his lawers nearly put S&W out of bussiness. Obama has many paths to work around of the House & Senate.
    Mike

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If he DOESN'T get re-elected, look for Obama to take some "parting shots" at us on the gun issue as well as other issues during the lame duck session.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I watched the debate but didn't hear the big O say anything about "all civilians". I heard him say criminals & mentally unstable people. Well Mr O, we've already got laws to do just that, so enforce them! I can't argue that the OP's statement is what he ultimately wants, but just trying to keep the discussion on facts. I'm no Obama fan so don't take us there either.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    What - no option for "He won't do anything - he's got better things to do"?
    Jobs and the economy are bigger targets for politicians right now than guns are.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If he DOESN'T get re-elected, look for Obama to take some "parting shots" at us on the gun issue as well as other issues during the lame duck session.

At least it'd be classier than Clinton staffer who stole the W keys from the White House computers.

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I watched the debate but didn't hear the big O say anything about "all civilians". I heard him say criminals & mentally unstable people. Well Mr O, we've already got laws to do just that, so enforce them! I can't argue that the OP's statement is what he ultimately wants, but just trying to keep the discussion on facts. I'm no Obama fan so don't take us there either.

Paraphrasing Obama during town hall debate:
    ....Criminals & mentally ill... ....but also don't believe that weapons intended/designed for soldiers do not belong in the hands of civilians.... I propose to reinstate the Clinton ban....

Bottom line is that no one knows what might actually happen. Either way I think its safe to say that the price of firearms and ammo will not be going down.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    What - no option for "He won't do anything - he's got better things to do"?
    Jobs and the economy are bigger targets for politicians right now than guns are.

Exactly.

If Obama is re-elected -- even as an 'unaccountable' 2nd-term president -- he'll go into his second four years with a very strong economic mandate from the electorate. He knows that he can't burn up any political capital from Republicans over the contentious issue of gun rights; he needs to save all those political favors for pushing through bi-partisan economic reforms.

Gun rights are nearly off the popular (and media) radar this election cycle (and that's just fine with me), so Obama isn't going to go out of his way looking for that losing fight. If you'll recall from the recent presidential debate, Obama was very tepid and wishy-washy in his approach of any possible AWB. Basically, I believe he has little enthusiasm for rolling up his sleeves to muck around with our 2nd Amendment rights. Gun control isn't his mandate, and it doesn't seem to read into his own sense of political legacy - unlike, for instance, Clinton.

Honestly, Romney is more of a loose canon, policy-wise, than the Democrats this election cycle. Romney's allegiances seem so mutable, politically expedient and randomly influenced - this is what concerns me so much about the possibility of a Romney/Ryan win. And in the event that the Republicans prevail, I think it will be Ryan who we'll thank for keeping his boss' hands off our guns.

I know I'm speaking a bit outside of the conventional political wisdom, but the devastated economy has made this election and upcoming four years anything but conventional. :twocents:

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Somebody's got to say it. . . . .

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did someone say bacon? :D
    8W1pr.jpg

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I didn't vote in the poll. Not nearly enough 'options'.

NOTHING would surprise me, where "what Obama will attempt" is concerned. But I saw a report today, that indicates the bottom is truly falling out for the Dems, across the board, in this election year.

It is actually possible for the Republicans, to take back the majority, in the U S Senate.

If that happens.. all bets are off, regarding any new Federal 'gun legislation' being passed. Thank God! And if BO uses an Executive Order, in any manner regarding firearms and ammo.... it will be thrown out after Jan 1.

* To the poster who suggested that prices of guns/ammo will go up...... that's a supply/demand thing. And IF prices DO increase.. the value of guns you already own, will go up right along with them.

Top Bottom