• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    My guess is that if they aren't shooting at you, regardless of who they're shooting at, and you join the fray, in today's day and age you would be setting yourself up for all sorts of legal issues. Just MHO.

As tempting as it would be to pop off a few I probably wouldn't do it.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Depends on the police department. Do you want to put yourself in a bad situation? Personally, if I had a clean shot, and it was something that was in progess I would want to help. Chances are if you shot and killed the suspect, you would face jail time. Not because you didn't do the right but because prosecutors and judges (it would appear to me) have no common sense.

Ninja1310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Well, this very much depends because you could very possibly end up being shot at by police as well. I mean, if you walk up and get behind a squad car with one of the officers that might be a different story, but if you're off to the side and then just start shooting, cops could possibly see you as a threat to them.

That's not even mentioning the probable **** storm you would get in legally if you didn't get shot.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    What happened to the guy that shot the guy that was shooting at a cop not to long ago? It is legal to use your weapon to stop crimes is it not? Someone actively shooting at cops is committing a crime is he not?

I say I would shoot as long as it didn't look like I'm pointing anywhere near the good guys with guns.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    You would think you would receive some type of pardon at least, but that could take a while and I'm sure there are those that would want you in jail. I think I would help though.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Depends on what city I was in. For the most part, I'd say only if the officer was hurt or "pinned down"

Also, keep in mind the IC does say you can protect 3rd a party.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    What happened to the guy that shot the guy that was shooting at a cop not to long ago? It is legal to use your weapon to stop crimes is it not? Someone actively shooting at cops is committing a crime is he not

Telling my wife she is fat is legal, doesnt mean it's a good idea. It would NOT be a good idea.

Suppose another armed citizen sees you and thinks you're shooting at the cops, or backup rolls up and they take you out.

Resist the urge to be Rambo, take cover, call 911, engage ONLY if absolutely necessary.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There's a similar discussion on this topic in the seedy underbelly of INGO.

The situation would have to warrant it. If I thought it was needed to save the officer I would shoot. With that said, in this very high stress situation you better make DAMN sure the officer(s) know you're a good guy.

Hold up your CCW badge while screaming "LEGALLY ARMED CITIZEN!!!"

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it also depends on how many police officers are there.
    If the street if full of SWAT guys everywhere (like we saw in Boston) then it's probably not a good idea to draw your gun to shoot at the person shooting at the police.
    But, if you witness a single police officer getting shot (like that MIT officer who was reported being shot in his car) then you dont have the risk of having other cops shooting at you.
    And in this situation you would probably be the only backup this officer can get in time.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Also this was Massatwosh*ts, you'd be in jail longer the the muslim brother is going to be. You'd be better off throwing a brick at them there.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Totally arm chair quarterbacking it.... But, given the scenario where it was OBVIOUS that I was not going to be aiming towards the LEO,
    And I saw an opportunity to be beneficial (I was closer to the bad guys than they were, for example), then yes, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if there are a dozen officers already actively engaging in a fire fight, and I'd just be another magazine feeding through to take them down,
    then no. I'll keep my old faithful in her holster.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Im taking it as you mean if this happened in front of your home in Indiana. Which if thats the case, legally you have nothing to worry about shooting the suspects. Our law stats you would be justified to use reasonable force to protect yourself our anyone facing bodily harm. As I stated in another thread, the best way to go about this without risk of getting shot by police is, call 911, tell them to get ahold of the leo and let them know you have a clean shot and see what yhey would want you to do. Time consuming yes, but its worth not getting shot by leo for trying to help.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'll keep my old faithful in her holster.

What if your holster is an Old Faithful?

QJgDP.gif

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    SBN
    Im taking it as you mean if this happened in front of your home in Indiana. Which if thats the case, legally you have nothing to worry about shooting the suspects. Our law stats you would be justified to use reasonable force to protect yourself our anyone facing bodily harm. As I stated in another thread, the best way to go about this without risk of getting shot by police is, call 911, tell them to get ahold of the leo and let them know you have a clean shot and see what yhey would want you to do. Time consuming yes, but its worth not getting shot by leo for trying to help.
    In the new world of hyper-liability concerns, there isn't a police department on the face of the planet that would actually give anyone the go ahead to shoot. Besides, they wouldn't get a chance to use all the SWAT toys they have.

As it's been mentioned already, unless the officer is alone, in the middle of nowhere & you don't hear any backup coming, injecting yourself into the situation is only begging for trouble,whether the law says so or not. Not to mention the high stress environment which has seen bystanders WITHOUT a weapon getting shot.. just my :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think the problem lies in some of the descriptions of what folks say they might do. There is a HUGE difference between shooting at something and making a shot. I would never shoot AT anyone not shooting at me in an urban environment. If I had a shots that I was 100% I could make to stop others from being killed, I would take them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom