What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun in Space? (Space.com article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    astronaut-spacewalk-gun.jpg

What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun In Space? | Space.com

Now I'm curious about the Russian firearm described in the article. Here is pic of it:

tp-82.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    gun goes off, bullet travels in straight line, you travel in the opposite direction of bullet.

yes, a gun will fire in space. It doesnt need oxygen. Gunpowder has its own oxidizer.

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    The small bullet probably wouldnt be too interesting....

BUT....

Think if you shot something that was at or exceeding your body mass! That could be an interesting ride for the person shooting the weapon!

<----------------->

Just a theory...could be wrong! :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd never though of the expanding universe, intergalactic angle before... that's pretty cool...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm feeling nitpicky.

The impulse imparted on the shooter would come not just from the projectile, but also the gases expanding and exiting the barrel at high speed. I'd expect more from the gases than the projectile, actually, but I didn't do any calculations.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the russians send up the gun because the Voskhod 2 mission landed 800 miles off course & the guys had to live in the forest , fend off wolves for 2 days before recovery crew got there.. since then they are provided with survival gear ..

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I am going to have to re-calculate the come ups on my scope for zero gravity! I'll get back to you! What was the BC on that bullet again? Where is my calculator?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wonder if US astraunauts get guns issued by the NASA when they are in space.
    I bet every gun company would love to have their gun picked by the NASA for space travel.
    Just like the NASA picked Victorinox and Emerson knives to be issued to their astraunauts.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nah...I'm betting the shuttle was a gun free zone. It is federal property, after all:D

I dont think that they would let the public know anyway.
    But if the Russians take guns into space I dont see why the Americans would not do the same.
    Im talking just handguns for protection against aliens or aginst the Russian astronauts that are armed in case they try to take over the international space station. :):

I think the mission commander has the key of a safe with a few Glocks (because weight is a concern in space) to throw to his crew in case the mission goes south. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He or she should feel free to shoot from the hip. According to Robert Flack, a physicist at University College London, the enormous gravitational field of Jupiter is likely to suck in a bullet even if it is badly aimed. "Jupiter is so huge, it will capture the bullet and then it will follow a curved path down into the planet," Flack said.

It's good to know the accusation that I can't hit the broad side of a barn wouldnt hold up out in space. :D

Top Bottom