What would we consider "common sense" or "reasonable"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just amongst ourselves, if we could write or define gun ownership rights tomorrow, how would we define it?

I for one believe anyone and everyone has the right to own any firearm or small arm equal in capability and lethality to modern military standards including machine guns, suppressors, armor piercing, etc.

Assuming however that the gun market was that opened up legally (and rightfully), should there be any precursors or qualifying factors to who can legally purchase anything of the sort? Are background checks at the point of sale considered "reasonable"? Should there be any mandatory training class of sort required prior to the purchase of any fully-automatic weapon? Should handgun or rifle sales be restricted to a certain age?

The bottom line, in an ideal America, would the 2A be defined as an open and unregulated market to any and all arms? Or are there any standards, regulations, or requirements along with it that would be considered "common sense" or "reasonable"?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Applying pleasant or moderating sounding words does not make a vile act palatable.

Should we tolerate "common sense racism"?

How about a little "reasonable sexual harassment"?

I am always glad, even enthused, to discuss an issue with someone from the other side. But I will not tolerate when the arguement is presented in such a presumptive manner.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Applying pleasant or moderating sounding words does not make a vile act paletable.

Should we tolerate "common sense racism"?

How about a little "reasonable sexual harassment"?

I am always glad, even enthused, to discuss an issue with someone from the other side. But I will not tolerate when the arguement is presented in such a presumptive manner.

I am ok with the racism part, it goes to private property rights and who you choose to associate with.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I agree with Bunnykid we have gun laws already on the books. The bad guys already probably shouldn't own them any how. Background checks are a waste Bad guys will steal your gun after you had the background check. That is the problem honest gun owners pay for the bad guys that don't follow the rules anyhow.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

I'm not a big fan of the words either. I put them in quotes because I wasn't sure what other language to use. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, I just wanted to encourage discussion and hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Enforce the laws already on the books- PERIOD.
    I think where this is heading is the divide/conquer stradegy. For now, the 2nd amendment protects our right to bear arms no matter the firearm- the media is already parading alledged pro-gun types who are spouting there is no need for people to own "assault weapons"- hopefully these ass-hats will remember the once famous outdoor writer...um jim something or other.
    It's going to get very ugly my friends, it's a shame our society has degraded to such a sad state. The worst part is the antis will twist and minipulate the situation to push their agenda as to anyone in disagreement for such nonsense measures will in effect be for such horrible acts.
    Just my .02

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Murderer is already illegal so gun laws are superfluous. To me, common sense or reasonable means the government should leave me the **** alone.

Top Bottom