What would you do if you had a fourteen year old son who........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    what would you do if you had a fourteen year old son was repeatedly made fun of. was called gay, a ******, was threatened, and just treated like **** by a certain group of kids who all hung out together.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Sounds like he needs to be taught how to defend himself for starters.I would then supply a set of knucks.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    First tell you son everything will be OK.. The other kids just are not right in the head. Then you need to inform the school to get it on record, after that try to talk to their parents..

Edit:... but it's VERY important that you have a talk with your son, and let him know that this is not right and you will help, and back him.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Personally, I would ask my son if he was truly gay.. If yes Then the conversation would go else where.If NO then you would just have to say some people are mean.. and to buck up and be the better person.. I wouldn't intervene too much, Kids will say some things that hurt sometime. But frankly, I feel that America is raising a bunch of P***y a$$ children.. Sure i got picked on growing up, I survived. Frankly I feel i have the last laugh in the matter. Most of those people are not doing anything with their lives, or even heard from a few said how sorry they are for being mean. Although they never called me gay or queer or anything like that.. Just would make fun of the way i dressed etc.. Sorry I like my button up shirts and dress shoes always will, I don't use slang, probably never will. So what if I talk funny, (not use slang or understand the concept of sourcasim all the time) Personally i feel looking back that it made me more of a stronger person. More of a leader, self starter than a follower.. just my two cents

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Infidel, I'm sorry to hear that about your son...I effing HATE bullies. I loved picking on them when I was in school though.

Is your kid small or is he big enough to handle himself? Either way, I'd get him into MMA or at least some sort of martial art. This is only the beginning for him and it could eventually turn into physical abuse. I'd most certainly contact the principal as well...If you bring it to his/her attention and they are worth a darn, they will take the issue very seriously.

If the principal doesn't do anything, I wouldn't hesitate to yank him out of there and send him elsewhere...This is a big deal.

Reassure your son he's a good kid and these crap bags are insecure with themselves. He'll be their boss one day.

Keep a close eye on him...I went to school with several people that killed themselves over this. It still brings tears to my eyes that they felt like that was their only option.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would remind your son that sometimes you step in manure (like these little hoodlums) which needs scraped off the bottom of your shoes, and then I would remind the principal of the school's responsibilities to your son, which include transit back and forth to school (unless you drive him yourself--walking or on the bus, the school has a responsibility until he gets home). I really don't like nanny state solutions, but if it is that way, you might as well take the good along with the bad rather than rejecting it on principle. I was introduced to this concept when getting home safely became a problem when I was in fourth grade. Granted, that was a long time ago, but I have never heard of the nanny state giving up ground. Also, teaching your son how to hand these morons' a**es to them would not hurt a thing, at least not anything that doesn't NEED hurt.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    although my daughter is far from 14 it kills me to hear of things like this or see it happen and imagine that being my daughter.
    but when i was younger my brother had some trouble with a few kids and my mom put him in tae kwon do. he had an amazing instructor that taught him not only to defend himself but to also know when to walk away and just let them be stupid. maybe this is a good option. sometimes knowing you could beat the brakes off someone is better than actually doing it.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    what would you do if you had a fourteen year old son was repeatedly made fun of. was called gay, a ******, was threatened, and just treated like **** by a certain group of kids who all hung out together.

I read you said you were in school still so I'm going to guess youre the 14yr old getting picked on?

Grab a nice thick schoolbook, walk up to the main bully and smack him as hard as you can square in the nose with it. When he falls don't stop kicking him until a teacher breaks it up.

He won't mess with you again.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I would put my son in martial arts classes and start sending him to school wired with a tape recorder. Let him learn how to deflect and defend an attack all while recording how it went down. martial arts will also teach him self discipline and self control.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Personally, I would ask my son if he was truly gay.. If yes Then the conversation would go else where.If NO then you would just have to say some people are mean.. and to buck up and be the better person.. I wouldn't intervene too much, Kids will say some things that hurt sometime. But frankly, I feel that America is raising a bunch of P***y a$$ children.. Sure i got picked on growing up, I survived. Frankly I feel i have the last laugh in the matter. Most of those people are not doing anything with their lives, or even heard from a few said how sorry they are for being mean. Although they never called me gay or queer or anything like that.. Just would make fun of the way i dressed etc.. Sorry I like my button up shirts and dress shoes always will, I don't use slang, probably never will. So what if I talk funny, (not use slang or understand the concept of sourcasim all the time) Personally i feel looking back that it made me more of a stronger person. More of a leader, self starter than a follower.. just my two cents
    What?!? I think 14 is a little young to consider anyone confirmed in his/her sexuality.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I would put my son in martial arts classes and start sending him to school wired with a tape recorder. Let him learn how to deflect and defend an attack all while recording how it went down. martial arts will also teach him self discipline and self control.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ SELF DEFENSE IS ALWAYS GOOD...

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think number one is making sure that he knows this is all temporary. It's hard for kids to see life after high school and that none of the social statuses in school mean anything later. Then talk to the school. Most schools have began "zero tolerance policies" and are taking bullying much more seriously than before.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    time to learn the art of intimidation

Have you talked to a teacher or other adult about what is going on? Do your parents know? If not tell them. Will they get involved and back you up? Most schools have a zero tolerance policy against bullying. They are obligated to protect you if you inform them of what is going on. Your parents should insist that the school makes these little b*stards stop tormenting you.

Ideally you should make all attempts to deal with this within school rules. However I am a mom and would never allow my kids to be bullied / harmed if the school failed to intervene. Therefore I will tell you what I told my kids.

My daughter was being bullied by a group of girls when she was in junior high. They liked to follow her on her way home and say bad things to her. My daughter was petite and never had to fight before. She was understandably scared of these girls.

These girls didn't know anything about my daughter other than she was little, cute & an easy target to torment. I told her she needed to stand up for herself and get firm and intimidate these girls back when they tormented her. I told her she needed to verbally go off on them and threaten to kick their as*es. I told her she needed to do this in such a way as to make it appear as if she might be unstable and even a little crazy. The crazier the better. You'd have to be crazy to threaten to take on 2 to 3 girls right?

My daughter did exactly as I instructed her to do. She even chased at least one of the girls back to the school. That girl was so afraid of my daughter that she told the principal. The principal called me and I told her the girls had been bullying her and she was only protecting herself. My daughter didn't get in trouble, the girls left her alone after that and my daughter felt empowered because she stood up for herself.

My son was bullied by a much larger boy when he was in elementary. The kid harassed him for over three years and the school didn't have much luck making the kid stop. I gave my son permission to fight back if necessary.

One day the bully intentionally nailed my son in the face with a kick ball. My son snapped and punched the bully in the nose. The bully's nose starting bleeding and the bully started bawling. Both kids got suspended for a couple days. The bully never bothered my son again. Nor has anyone else.

It sucks you have to go through this. Sometimes you just have to take matters in your own hands to protect yourself if the adults fail you. Try talking to the adults first if you can. But fight back if you must. If you can verbally intimidate these kids you should be able to scare them off without raising a hand to anyone. Violence really should be your last option.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a couple of bullies torment me from 4th grade until 7th. I took crap every day and came home a mess. Every afternoon my mom had to leave to go to work @ 4:30, and one day I was sitting in the passenger seat as she was taking us to our uncles to stay until she got home, she told me that if I did'nt beat the snot out of the bullies, she was going to pound my arse.

Even though my mom was 5'2 and 100 pounds, I feared my mom more than them (she only whooped me once but that was enough), so the next time they started it back up, I acted like I was going to walk by, turned 90 degrees and blasted the biggest guy in the nose and as he bent over I nailed him in the nadz. Turned to the other one with my fist back and he was off running like the wind.

I was never bothered again.

To this day, that bully I blasted is a good friend, never let's me forget what I did, and always apologizes for what he did to me.

My case is a lucky one, today's kids are ruthless and down right evil, Don't let this go any further for his sake. Don't let him get mentally messed up because some kids parent won't control their kid.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    High school is a temporary annoyance.
    Idiot kids usually grow up to be idiot adults.
    Ignore them, now and forever (to hell with class reunions).

The best form of revenge is to just be happy.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    What?!? I think 14 is a little young to consider anyone confirmed in his/her sexuality.
    Yeah, I got to thinking about that a long while after I posted that.

I might have been a little hard. I don't think people should be abused, and tormented to where they seek suicide as the only option. But some of the stuff they consider bulling, is crazy. It is a different world out there.. Its crazy to think high school was a decade ago for me.. But honestly with the crap I got growing up from other kids, I wouldn't change it.. those evil people gave me a drive to succeed else where..

Hell they wasted their time talking about me, or making fun of me.. Precious time they can never get back! I guess that is one of the ways i looked at it.

Top Bottom