• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trav8605

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I just thought of a situation and wasnt sure how I would handle it, not real familar with the laws etc. Here is what I was curious on. Say you are at home either asleep in the very back room or in back yard, you hear a noise go to check it out and find you have been robbed. You see someone (BG) running out your front door with your laptop, small tv whatever. You run out front door after them if you cant catch them on foot, since there is no immediate threat you cant really shoot them could you? Could it be seen as protecting your property etc? Just thought i'd see what some others here would do. Love the site by the way, have found alot of great info here!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    no, you would be in deep doo-doo. i would call the cops and make sure my wife was ok. i would not pursue.

now if you caught them in your house mid-robbery, well who knows what would happen. but i would be a pretty sympathetic juror. ;)

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    keep a nice sized rock by the door at all times and practice your non-lethal aim just for a moment like this :laugh:

trav8605

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I didnt think you could. It is alot easier to replace then get out of deep doo doo! I just may go find a rock tom ;)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just about the only piece of property I'd shoot someone for would be my truck. We need that to feed the family. Taking my truck is taking our food.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Just about the only piece of property I'd shoot someone for would be my truck. We need that to feed the family. Taking my truck is taking our food.

You should really invest in some auto insurance....

Joe, what would you do if they took your dog?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd be inclined to assign someone to call 911 (or do it myself) and pursue at a safe distance and in a non-threatening manner.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If you shoot them as they are fleeing, they will probably drop your property and damage it. Bad idea.

Good point. Since I am firing to protect my property, and I can't catch them, I would need to follow them until they set my laptop down and then shoot them. That way they wouldn't drop it! :D

But seriously, this is a good point, how do you justify shooting someone to protect your property when the act of shooting them will likely damage the property? Does it change the scenario if they steal your bowling ball?

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    keep a nice sized rock by the door at all times and practice your non-lethal aim just for a moment like this :laugh:

...and that would be assault with a deadly weapon. (and I get the sarcasm, but just for arguments sake.)

I can hear the prosecutor now:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the deceased was feeling from the scene with an $89 DVD player in his hands. No threat to anyone, and in no way placing the accused in any jeopardy. And this man (he points directly at you) picked up a rock, which he premeditatedly set by his door for such a purpose, and as Cain slew his brother Able, smashed the skull of a young man and killed him!! Cain's actions were motivated out of jealousy. His bother was seen with more favor in the eyes of God - the defendant acted as though he WAS GOD!!!"

Just sayin', is all. :D

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    trav, are you asking what the standard is for deadly force?

You can use force, including deadly force, to defend your self or a third party from serious bodily injury or death.

You CANNOT use deadly force in defense of property.

You CANNOT shoot the fleeing burglar. And, no, I don't care what they can do in Texas.*

*Yes, that's right, rhino, you owe me another case of .45.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    glock 21- i wasnt saying kill the man lol just knock some sense into him and make him realize i could have shot him over the $89 dvd player but i spared his life:):

Top Bottom